Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ritamay91710

Anyone with Durango or Crema Marfil subway backsplash??

ritamay91710
13 years ago

This back splash is killing me!!! I can't decide if I want a stone, or glass. I do know that I want subway...but I love both looks.

By the way, I have Giallo Ornamental counter tops.

Pics would be great!!

HELP!!! LOL!!

Comments (7)

• ellendi
    13 years ago

I have Giallo Ornamental granite with white cabinets. I looked into both of your choices. Personally I would not do the Crema Marfil. It has veins running through and is "dressier" than the Giallo. The Durango could blend in with all the variations, but if your granite is busy, it might compete.These brown stones can run pinkish. Also you have to be careful with the Durango. Stock varies and you can like the sample board but your tiles can look different. You didn't mention your cabinets. I wound up with Grazia Rixi crackle tile in Crema. It blends nicely with the white of the cabinet and the brown and creams in the giallo. Glass is the latest new thing, but IMHO it doesn't belong in every kitchen. Sorry I can't post a picture.

• ritamay91710
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Ellen.....

My cabinets are a darkish bamboo. Shaker style, clean lines. I know what you are saying about the veins in the Crema Marfil...I don't really like that. And the same with the variations of the Durango. I am very matchy matchy....try not to be, but I always find that is what I end up being happiest with. That's why I was thinking of glass....it's uniformity pleases me. LOL!!
    I have seen others here using that crackle tile, I'll have to look at that again...maybe I just need to think outside my box.

Thanks again.

• nancyaustin
    13 years ago

I have dark cherry cabinets, Giallo Ornamental and Crema Marfil 6 x 12 honed tiles. Perhaps because the tiles are honed, the veins are not prominent. The backsplash reads as an overall cream color, which is perfect with the Giallo Ornamental, & the light color brighens the kitchen. I didn't want to have a shiny backsplash so the honed Crema Marfil was a great option.

• ellendi
    13 years ago

I know what you mean by not trying to match. Some of us are fine with backsplashes and/or granite with the WOW fator. After having so much trouble, as you are with the backsplash, I am happy I have a classic neutral. What I like about the Grazia Rixi is that when they are installed they give the illusion of a handmade tile. So, you get a bit of uneveness between the tiles. I understand what you mean about the glass and I looked into it too. I was advised against it because of my traditional cabinets and oak floor. But if your cabinets have a modern feel, the glass might work. I spoke to so many tile people! I think they like the glass because it comes in so many colors that you are bound to find one that will meet your needs. But, you have to really like the look of it. Good luck and keep us posted. (I guess you have been through the finished kitchen blog baksplash slide show?)

• cruisedirector
    13 years ago

I have honed Crema Marfil 4x4 diagonal tiles on my backsplash. There are just enough veins to make it interesting, not one solid color, but not dark or busy at all. But we like a little dressier look.
    I will say that the contractor had a heck of a time cutting the tiles, lots of cracking. He called them "delicate". The install took about twice as long as predicted.
    But I love it and would do it again.

• rufinorox
    13 years ago

I have vallelunga villa adriana

• jzanick
    11 years ago

I got the same tile. What color grout did you use? @rufinorox