Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovecookie

KD -- How long does it take to update a quote?

ILoveCookie
9 years ago

Our KD is great, except that it takes a long time for her to give us any updated quotes. Our average wait has been at least 4-5 weeks per quote. Is that normal?

I feel like I am running low on my patience reserve, and wonder if we should start looking for alternatives.

So far we've only got 1 quote for cabinets, 2 quotes for countertop (1 for the first draft of the layout, 1 for the final layout). We still don't have a cabinet quote for the final layout.

This post was edited by ILoveCookie on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 17:48

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Obviously this person does not want your business.

• ILoveCookie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm, okay, that hasn't occurred to me before.

• KarMar00
    9 years ago

When I first read this, I thought it was going to say 4-5 days. Over a month for quote is borderline crazy IMO. You say (s)he is great though, have you worked with them before? I feel like a quote is the first baby step to working with a person.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

I'm not a KD but if it had taken me that long to revise a quote for what I sold, I would have had to retire earlier due to lack of customers. Too many fish in the sea and way too much competition these days unless you live in such an isolated area they are THE only fish in your sea?

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Design revisions could take a couple of minutes to a couple of hours depending on what changes you want to make.

Getting those minutes or hours when there is a long list of fires to put out is a whole other thing though. First priority is existing jobs in the install phase that need problems solved. Second is those sales that need the paperwork prepared to close. Third is double checking the order confirmations for just ordered jobs for accuracy. Fourth is double checking final designs before the closing appointment. Fifth is placing new orders. Sixth is doing design revisions for customers who have paid the design retainer. Seventh is doing initial designs for those who paid the retainer. Eighth is the initial design appointments where want lists and budgets are discussed. Ninth is walk in browsers. Tenth is an initial free design rough in. Eleventh is doing second revisions for people who are price shopping and don't want to pay a retainer. Twelth is dusting and sweeping the showroom. Thirteenth is filing paperwork. Fourteenth is shopping for showroom sundries.

You did pay the retainer to show you were serious customers, right?

• ILoveCookie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is our first project with her. We paid a flat fee for the design and layout, and signed a contract that says she won't release the detailed plan until we place the cabinet order. She came back with 3 or 4 initial layouts, and we picked one, tweaked it, and got a quote for the cabinets.

Then we made a few small changes to reduce the cost (mainly the finishing touches, like the door style). She kept saying she would get an updated quote but we still haven't received one. I'd like to think she is just too busy, but I am kind of losing my patience.

We met with her several times during the process, and each discussion was several hours long. Our tastes are compatible, and she gives great suggestions. I am also confident she was pointing us in the right direction in terms of kitchen functionality.

This post was edited by ILoveCookie on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 20:43

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Several hours long? Several meetings? She may have under estimated the hours needed for your project if she's merely charging you a flat fee. There usually is a clause that says that the fee covers ''X'' number of hours and that subsequent revisions over that cap will be billable at an hourly rate. She may be at the point that she's losing money on your job if she didn't put in that clause with you. And she may not know how to tell you that nicely.

If you gave her your budget up front, there really should be very little revising actually needed to the initial design. Minor tweaks, sure. It should really only take a couple of short meetings past the initial presentation of a fully developed design. What are you talking about for several hours long meetings?

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

Call and ask directly when can you have the quote. If you end up with another revision agree at the time when they will get back to you, specifically. Even better set an appointment to meet, a week should be sufficient, ten days most. DonâÂÂt leave it open ended.

While delays like that should not happen with a client on retainer they can. Issues with jobs in progress, orders, health, a pleasant but peristaltic and needy client, hurry up job from a regular client or two, a complicated project with a closer deadline that takes more work than anticipated, an excess of email, a sudden increase in walking clients...any can conspire to muck up the best schedule.

Having appointments help you to stay at the forefront of the list. It also matters what your deadline/ timeliness is. Keep the KD aware of it.

Bear in mind what your schedule means to them: If your project is 6 months out perhaps allow a little more between appts. New construction still in plans?, just be clear ( and reasonable) about what is needed as opposed to wanted. Those projects are prone to significant changes with no input at all.

Edited to add- keep in mind that in many cases getting together an accurate final quote is NOT a matter of pushing a button. For a simple design with few mods in a semi custom brand that supports 2020 (accurately) it can be as little as 1-3 hours. I often have projects that take a full day to price and draw correctly after the final revision despite having been priced two or three times before.

This post was edited by jakuvall on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 22:48

• ILoveCookie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'd better go take a closer look at the contract then. We didn't do major remodels like this before, and it sounds like we might be over demanding without knowing it.

Anyway, our KD works by appointments only. The first meeting was about collecting our wishes and preferences. She had a long list of questions, which includes things like range size, sink size, etc. We didn't decide on these things before hand, so there was some discussion and it took a while. The second meeting was about presenting the initial layouts, discussing the pros and cons of each, and picking one out. The third meeting was about tweaking the chosen layout, choosing door styles and cabinet accessories, as well as wood and stain color (this part I feel like we could have done it by ourselves in her shop), etc.

I feel like both the KD and we have put in quite some time and effort, and we'd like to make it work if the KD hasn't already given up on us (If that's the case, we probably would just get cabinets from a local custom cabinet maker.)

This post was edited by ILoveCookie on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 22:40

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Cookie- It is taking a long time, but I love your attitude! You seem very positive (just anxious to get started) and are taking Holly's advice to heart. I think you're going to do just fine :)

Maybe call the KD and let her know you really want to work with her and you're just waiting for these final numbers to move forward? That might be the 'push' she needs to put you back to the top (or at least towards the top) of her pile...

Keep us informed of your progress!

• Vertise
    9 years ago

She is probably very busy. Could be you are low on the priority because you're almost through that phase and she's got you cinched and trying to reel in others in before they get away. If you're easy to deal with or non-assertive type, she knows she can put you on hold easier than others.

Sounds like you have worked well together positively and productively. I would call and let her know long you've been waiting at this point and ask for a window you can expect to see the final quote. If you are seriously thinking of moving on, you could add that if you don't receive it, you will have to assume she doesn't want your business. That's a waste of a lot of your time and money. Maybe they would sell you the design?

I would think it would also be breach of contract since she took your money but you end up with nothing because they won't move forward. Be clear of your legal rights if it is a breached contract. You don't want to do anything that would result in being unable to get your money back. If you paid by credit card, you might have some recourse there for a refund.

How much money have you invested with her so far?

• ILoveCookie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LL -- Good to see you around! I will keep you posted on my progress.

As you could already tell, I am definitely not the assertive type. :) I am going to wait a few more days and then ask for a time window.

The design fee wasn't a lot (about $500), and is non-refundable per contract. Given how much time she has put in though, I wouldn't ask for a refund even if I could. Btw, the contract doesn't specify X hours, so I think the flat fee covers everything.

This post was edited by ILoveCookie on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 23:10

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

Cookie, you are not making unreasonable demands, if you were it is up to the KD to let you know.

When things get busy the first thing to go is "reeling in others" they just compound the stress.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Absolutely give her a call post Labor Day and be the one that gives the first suggestion for a time for a meeting. If she doesn't have good project management that keeps her following up on her pipeline, that may be why she is an independent, and why you need to be more proactive about your needs.

• ILoveCookie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! I will contact the KD next week, and try to get everything rolling before the winter comes. :)