Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

door on this cabinet or leave open?

bridget helm
9 years ago

I can't decide if I should put doors on this cabinet or leave it open? The cabinets on the same wall will have glass doors. I either want 2 solid doors on this cabinet or I want to leave it open/no doors

Also for the 2 equal cabinets flanking the sink window. I've been picturing glass on the lower doors and solid on the very tiny upper doors. But I'm guessing that's weird?? Do the very tiny upper doors need to be glass too?

Just realized I forgot the pic. Oops
Thanks!

This post was edited by bmh4796 on Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 1:46

Comments (15)

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Do u have a photo you could share?

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bumping up. I posted the photo. I thought I had in the original post

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The cabinet in question is to the left of the bay window. I need some opinions now please. Have to make the decision

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Why can't I bump this? :(

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

The cabinet in question is to the left of the bay window.

I don't see anything to the left of the bay window.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ahhhhh. Sorry to the right of the the bay window. It's been a bad week :(

This whole house renovation, packing 4 kids to move to a temporary one bedroom, and back to school, dance, volleyball, and football is taking its toll on me apparently

• badgergal
    9 years ago

If you have enough closed storage in the rest of your kitchen then I think open shelves would be nice.
    As far as wood doors above the glass door cabinets it can look just fine.
    Here is a picture I found doing an image search. You can probably find additional pictures if you need more examples.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like those, but I think the architect drew one door with a split rail to separate the cubby. Wood top and glass bottom on one door might look weird??? Maybe not??

The pic you posted has separate boxes/cubbies with separate doors

• Gracie
    9 years ago

To answer your question, I think you have a lot of open shelves already.

It makes me nervous when you say the architect designed your kitchen. I urge you to post your layout, with dimensions, and let some of our KDs and knowledgeable members look over your plans. For instance, I am wondering what is to the left of your DW and why it isn't a large drawer base. Where will you put silverware that comes out of the DW? Do you really need those small windows at the top? They will be different sizes, which might not look so hot if your view takes in the entire kitchen.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There's s 5 foot x2' deep peninsula that just out by the dishwasher separating the breakfast room/bay window area from the kitchen.

Some of the cabinets aren't shown in the picture. There's another wall with a microwave cubby and closed/wood door upper cabinet the lower on that 3 big lower drawers

I'm ok with the layout. It's a renovation of a 1976 house, so We decided to put the appliances back in their original locations to save on plumbing.

What do you mean about windows looking funny? Do you think I should have tall solid doors rather than split rails? I'm going back and forth on this. The ceilings are 8'11" and we are putting cabs to the ceiling with 2 flat "stock"crowns at the top

I'm have to decide TODAY because I need to sign off on these cabs so they can start building them.

Any more opinions?

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any more opinions?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I'm going to bring your layout over from the building forum. I would encourage you to post it in a new thread and ask for another few pair of eyes to look it over.

Have you thought through having the stove eight feet across the room from the sink? Emptying a big pot of boiling pasta? It's also far from the trash. Crack an egg into the frying pan and walk the shell eight feet to the trash. It's also in the main traffic path from the playroom, which isn't safe.

Will your fridge open in the corner?

Were you planning on putting dish drawers in your peninsula? You'll need the wall cabinet for glasses, so it'd be nice to be able to unload the DW into drawers.

As for the peninsula wall cabinet, you can't reach into a cabinet over a peninsula without contorting your body, so make the cab an open display for dishes. However, that's a large cabinet for display, so you might make the double cabinet a little smaller, add a third cabinet, and then have a small open cabinet on the end. That's what I have in 54" of wall space between my vent hood and end of peninsula.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree the sink isn't as close to the range as it should be, but since it's a whole house renovation and not just a kitchen Reno, we had to make smart choices with the budget. We didn't want to move plumbing in the kitchen in order to not spend money on moving plumbing. Will I kick myself every time I have to walk over from the range to sink with a hot pot if angel hair pasta? Probably, but it was more important to me to put down wood floors through the entire house except wet areas.

• colleenoz
    9 years ago

Any reason you can't put the range on the L to the right of the sink?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I was thinking the same as colleenoz. I couldn't tell if the door to the playroom was a double door, but if wider than a standard door, I'd change it and lengthen that leg for the stove.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!