Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcrd

What are your favorite kitchen gadgets for under $30?

While I was "outfitting" my "new" kitchen, I came across a little gizmo that I just love. It is a sponge holder that has a suction that goes on the side of my sink. Holds my sponge and dries it out so it doesn't get "stinky." For two bucks, (Linen and Things) I consider it a great deal and the package comes with two of them. The sponge is out of sight and it doesn't clutter up the top of my sink.

There are others out there that are more $ and I may move to one of them if this breaks, but so far so good! I now consider it indespensable in my kitchen.

The second "gadget" is one that I have used for the past 20 plus years. It is a clear, over the counter cutting board. Mine is big enough to roll dough on and it is easy peasy clean up. You CAN'T put hot pans on it or it will crack. Don't ask me how I know. However, I get to see my beautiful counters while I chop and I don't lose anything on my granite. Easy, easy clean up. They will eventually scratch but are easy to replace after a few years. I love mine and have converted all my family members to them as well. I have two of them at 24" by 18". Work great.

Not my kitchen but it gives you an idea of the product.

Because of the over the lip action, the cutting board stays in place when you use it. Great cutting board and you can wipe it down with a little bleach solution to sterilize it.

OK, so what are your favorite products for under $30? Let us in on some great ideas and secrets!

Comments (65)

• morton5
    15 years ago

Hard, clear, plastic or glass counter savers that are used as cutting boards drive me nuts. A cutting board needs to be able to absorb the force of the cut; otherwise the blade of the knife can get damaged, or the blade can slip, which is dangerous. I also dislike flexible cutting boards, because they have so little "give".

Sorry, you are certainly entitled to your cutting board preferences, and this is a thread about favorite gadgets. Felt the need to post this, though, probably because I'm feeling crabby but also to help stamp out non-resilient cutting boards.

• saruna
    15 years ago

Not sure if this falls in the 'gadgets' category, but I am very pleased with my oil dispenser from Linens n Things. No need to wipe off oil from the sides anymore!

Here is a link that might be useful: Linens N Things Home oil dispenser

• amberley
    15 years ago

Three things to do with garlic:

1. My garlic press for $3 or $4 from IKEA of all places, LOVE IT!!

2. the plastic "sleeve" that you roll the clove in to get the skin off

3. the metal "soap bar" that you "clean" your hands with after handling garlic or onions. It magincally makes the smell go away!!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gosh Morton, hope your day goes better.

Do you have a favorite cutting board for under $30? Hope you post it so we can learn about it.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    15 years ago

Basic wooden chopping board - I'm not a fan of glass boards either. My newest board was an offcut from the butcher block I bought for a new tabletop (Ikea). Sanded and oiled once, it's perfect, cheap and with plenty of 'give' for my knives.

A spurtle is, technically, a wooden rounded 'stick', fatter than a wooden spoon handle, often with a carved 'handle' end, for stirring porridge (I have one, from Scotland). It's perfect for stirring pasta too . . .

• annes_arbor
    15 years ago

Great items,everyone! I honestly can't remember what cooking/baking is anymore :), but when I had a kitchen, I loved my dough scraper. You can use it to clean up counters as well as pick up dough and other delicate items.

Re cutting boards. It's true that knife manufacturers do not recommend cutting on glass or hard plastic. Years ago, my aunt taught me a very simple way to keep any cutting board from moving when you use it: Dampen a dishcloth or paper towel and put it underneath the cutting board. Works like a charm.

• morton5
    15 years ago

Sorry about that outburst last night; stayed up late to watch the Olympic swimming relay, which of course was gratifyingly exciting. Go U.S.A.!

My favorite cutting board these days is a Farberware poly one that goes over the sink and has a hole for a 9-inch colander (included). I can also drop a stainless mixing bowl in the hole. I think it cost $19 at my warehouse club.

• mary_in_nc
    15 years ago

I love my lemon juicer I got from Surla Table. I had initially tried it out during my cooking class at Viking. It's great because it is soooo easy and squeezes out every drop of juice! It cost $12.95. Crate and Barrel has one that is combo of the lemon and lime juicer.

• scootermom
    15 years ago

Some great items here. I definitely need a couple of flat whisks and a microwave corn popper. And the bakeliner! I have some funny size pans.

This little scraper is a favorite of mine, for scraping gunk off pots and pans, without getting my sponge all gunky. Great for getting bread dough out of the mixing bowl, scrambled eggs out of a supposedly non-stick pan, etc. First used one of these on a camping trip with friends who had a dutch oven kitchen -- no soap allowed on their cast iron, just really HOT water and this scraper.

http://pamperedchef.com/our_products/catalog/product.jsp?productId=241&categoryCode=FH

It's about the only thing from Pampered Chef that I like.

I have another favorite, but it cost $25 so long ago that I'm not sure it's still under $30. It's a vegetable cleaver from Dexter-Russell. Got my first one on a trip to San Fransisco; somehow lost it in my house (?). Ordered a replacement from Amazon a while back; can't find the exact same one now. :-( The one they have is bigger (and it's $43).

I bought that knife (and it's replacement) before Santoku knives became popular; maybe one of those would fill the bill if I ever need to replace mine.

• ajpl
    15 years ago

Wow, a lot of great ideas here. Most fo mine are already listed although I don't have a micro planer. Maybe I need to get one?

I recently got these little bowls and we use them all the time. They're not exactly gadgets but I feel much more comfortable using them in the fridge and microwave than plastic. I'll take the time to put leftovers onto a plate but my almost 11 year old and my DH don't. They hold a cup of food. I wouldn't mind finding some 2 cup sized.

https://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=9904&catId=123&parentCatId=123&outletSubCat=&viewAllOutlet=

• imrainey
    15 years ago

scootermom reminded me of this:

Is this what you were describing? It's tough plastic blade gets under crud and scrapes it away like ice on a windshield without scratching.

I got mine for just a few bux at Sur la Table.

• eandhl
    15 years ago

Another one here that loves Silicone Spatula Spoon. I have a few and now when we are invited for dinner in addition to wine I bring friends one hopefully to coordinate with their kit.

• bestyears
    15 years ago

I have two favorites! The first are these wonderful glass storage bowls from Crate and Barrel. For some reason I don't like food in plastic. These bowls seem to be the perfect size for leftovers and go into the microwave nicely. My only complaint is the lids are not dishwasher proof. My second item is a large baking stone which I got 10 years ago from Pampered Chef (though you can get them lots of places). Mine has a beautiful patina now from all the use. I use it for cookies, pizza, french fries and fish-stick kind of things. It makes perfect, perfect cookies!
    Wouldn't be without it.

Here is a link that might be useful: C&B storage bowls

• ajpl
    15 years ago

We don't have crate and barrel around here but it's good to see there are large glass storage dishes for a reasonable price. I'll have to keep my eyes open at the stores we do have.

• decodilly
    15 years ago

OK, it's a bit embarrassing, but even though we have a mandoline and some really nice chef's knives, I find that I mostly use this chopper to quickly chop veggies, and it also makes great french fries!

Here is a link that might be useful: [Quick chopping](http://www.yourstoreonline.net/(S(olxl2w55pahsouz3ag0bws55))/products/product.aspx?id=634&sComp=Google&Keyword=vegetable+chopper&gclid=CM7f18mahpUCFR8cagodwnXvrg)

• imrainey
    15 years ago

bluekitobsessed- I think I've neglected to say how much I envy you your chickens.

I've considered getting a few but we live in a suburban spot and we have coyotes and monster raccoons. OTOH, we have an exclusion for horses so, while I'm not sure the neighbors would be wild about it it wouldn't be prohibited by zoning.

Can you give me a brief rundown on what care they require, how many eggs they produce and what kind of security you have to provide for them?

• friedajune
    15 years ago

I have TWO favorites:

The Swing-A-Way Jar Opener #711. It opens any jar effortlessly, regardless of the size. We had one growing up, and I couldn't believe it when I came across them still selling today. I bought one, and it is the best jar opener ever. Just read the reviews on Amazon where the Swing-W-Way is selling for $4.99. It's a steal.

The Cuisipro 12" Silicone Locking Tongs. Once you use tongs to cook with, you'll never go back to clunkier, less dexterous tools. I like that these tongs have silicone tips cause (a) you can use them with teflon pans without scratching, and (b) the silicone is heat resistant to 575 degrees. I know that Oxo makes tongs for use on teflon pans, but the Oxo's have nylon-coated tips which are not as heat resistant, so I like the Cusipro's better. Also the 12" size is perfect - not too long to be clumsy, and not too short so that your arm won't get hot or burned. You can do things like pick up a single string bean or turn a delicate asparagus spear without bruising it. Once I got these Cuisipro tongs, I don't know how I cooked without them.

Thanks Ajpl for the link to the 1-cup lidded glass bowls. I have been looking for bowls like that!

• candf
    15 years ago

I drink hot tea every day and I looked all over to find a tea bag strainer and found one only a few months back.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

While I do have nifty tongs, baking stone, and some other gadgets like you all, my favorite gadgets are vintage ones. I get such joy out of using them.I have great wooden rolling pins, a flour sifter from the 50s, 2 glass juicers from the 30s and I use vintage glass custard cups for ingredients while I am cooking.
    I love reading about everyones fav gadgets!

• outonalimb_2007
    15 years ago

One of my favorites its actually free -- an old credit (or similar plastic) card -- works great as a scraper to get gunk (scrambled eggs, etc) off of the bottom of my pots. I keep one in the drawer next to the sink.

I also love my tongs -- are the plain vanilla variety, aluminum (I think) from the restaurant supply store, but they work great and I plan to get a couple more so I always have a clean pair.

Lastly, the plain glass oil bottles I picked up at Walmart for about $3 each -- they started out to hold Christmas presents (Cranberry Vodka to be specific) but they didn't work for that (the pouring tops were a problem) so now I use use one for olive oil, one for vegetable oil, and one for maple syrup (the real kind) -- I especially like the syrup one because the flow is more of a trickle, keeps my kids from using too much.

Great thread!

• marypearl
    15 years ago

If you like a good mango, you must try a mango splitter! They work fabulously well.

Original Author
    15 years ago

I just love these posts. I am learning all sorts of new things!

Rainey--I ordered a set of the Nomex insulators for myself and my Mom. I will also be going to Sur La Table tomorrow so I will look for the steamer.

Blue--I LOVE your chickens! They are beautiful!

Sara--I had to look up what a spurtle was/is on the internet. Never heard of it before. They say they are great for scrambled eggs. Have you tried a spurtle on that dish?

Mary--don't you just LOVE those juicers? They are my favs.

Ajpl--you have to get a microplane. I LOVE mine. So easy to use. They are great!

AK--The Swing-a-way. How do you use that thing? I am going to have to get me one of those. I can't figure out where you put the lid or the bottle on it. Everyone seems to rave about them.

Marypearl--I LOVE Mangos and make a mango salsa to go with my fish dishes all the time (great with chicken too). Those things really work? Doesn't matter what the size of the mango is?

Thank you all again. Amazon.com is sure getting my business today from all of your great suggestions!

• marypearl
    15 years ago

Good morning Mustbnuts............Yes, it really does work. I saw a demonstration on TV and the person mentioned that it takes practice but it really didn't. I was surprised how well it worked. I love mango too but they were messy to work with and now one swipe and it's done. I don't know about the size mattering but I've never noticed a difference. The only time I had a little problem was when the mango was a little too mushy.

• yadax3
    15 years ago

My Oster steamer. We use it constantly for veggies, eggs, shrimp, and crab. After seeing how well it works, my mother and daughter both had to have one too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oster Steamer

• budge1
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for the LNT oil pourer link. I have been using the glass bottles and every year or so I have to replace because the oil does something to the rubber around the pouring spout and it deteriorates.

My favourite thing is my knife magnet. I know they are probably everywhere now, but when I got mine, I told everyone how it had changed my life in the kitchen. I keep my kitchen shears on it too and it is soooooo convenient not to have to open a drawer when you are holding a bag of frozen peas etc.

• joann23456
    15 years ago

I'm with scootermom - my favorite is the Pampered Chef pan scraper. You get them free if you order the baking stones, or you can get them on Ebay for a dollar or two for 3-4. I used to use a credit card, but like these better both because they're a little bit stiffer, but with a thinner edge, and because they have corners that are rounded in different sizes, so they'll fit into the corners of most pans and baking dishes.

I must be the only person in the world who didn't think that Microplane graters were the cat's meow. I recently got rid of my Microplane rotary grater, as I found that I always reached for my older, no-name grater instead.

My other favorite gadget is a teeny-tiny whisk that I use to beat just a couple eggs, either scrambled eggs for one or eggs for a recipe. I know a fork would work just as well, but I love this thing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pampered Chef pan scraper (on Ebay)

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

Since DH & I both love cooking, we appreciate good gadgets that really work and don't just take up space.
    The silicone brushes are a godsend. No longer do I have to worry about rancid oils that won't wash out. These babies pop into the dishwasher and come out oil-free and clean every time. They dont' melt on hot surfaces and they don't loose their bristles on your food.
    {{!gwi}}

When I found this garlic peeler in my Christmas stocking one year, I was sure I'd never use it. But, I found out it makes peeling garlic super easy and fast. I use mine several times a week.
    {{!gwi}}
    Since I'm one of those people who can't chop onions without it causing much tearing and eye pain, this chopper from Williams Sonoma was a much appreciated gift one year. It has a variety of inserts you can use, everything stores neatly in the container when not in use and the container itself has convenient measurements on it's side.
    {{!gwi}}
    These silicone tipped tongs are great for many uses around my kitchen. I got this when we bought our new pots and pans and had to go eliminate all our metal cooking utensils. I use mine many times every day. They're dishwasher-safe and have a locking mechanism so that you can store them closed.
    {{!gwi}}
    My last favorite gadget is my mezzaluna set. It was a gift, so I'm not sure if it fits in the Under $30 range, but it's wonderful for chopping everything but onions . . . you can use it for onions, but I can't.

{{!gwi}}
    Lynn

• big_changes
    15 years ago

I absolutely love my ikea bread knife: it looks like a letter L-- it's serrated, and it works not only on bread (so much more control!) but also on hard cheese like cheddar, and soft veggies like tomatoes. I usually don't like a serrated blade but this one I love. I give it as a housewarming gift whenever I can!

Here is a link that might be useful: ikea bread knife

• kulagal
    15 years ago

Lynn: where did you get your silicon brushes - a great idea! What a neat thread - I am bookmarking this one.
    Cheers!

• kkupstate
    15 years ago

daki - AWESOME! I am going to order that superpeel - and hope it will save countless arguments between DH and myself regarding how to get a pizza to the stone!!

I have to admit, I am a gadget girl. But recently have decided that the mango de-stoner and the avocado thingy just aren't worth the space they take up in the drawer.

I do like the flexible cutting boards, wish they were a little thicker though.

Not necessarily a gadget but am loving using microfiber cloths for cleaning the shiny new kitchen surfaces.

And the egg slicer gets a lot of use especially in the summer when we eat a lot of chef salads...

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

Things I love have mostly been mentioned already: my Microplaner, but only the flat one that stores easily and my metal scraper, which is the Graham Kerr one. I bought a second one to use when the original is in the dishwasher I love it so much! I have the Pampered Chef plastic one but never use it because I think this one works so much better. The best under $5.00 dollar item I think I have.

Slightly OT, but maybe not, depending on where you keep your medications. My migraine medication runs about $180.00+ for 9 pills, $6.00 per pill after insurance. My doctor was mad they were limiting me to 6 pills/month, so he gave me the double dose and I bought a pill splitter, which is one of my other favorite gadgets. Cut my medication costs in half! We use these in the hospital all the time, too:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Splitter-Apex-Healthcare-Products/dp/B000J13V9W

And last but not lest, my NeverMT!

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Graham Kerr scraper

• staticfritz
    15 years ago

I love the flexible boards, use em for 6months, then throw em out!
    Ikea has them for literally a couple bucks for a set of 2, and they're a lot thicker then most brands

Here is a link that might be useful: ikea bendable boards

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

Oops, forgot about my cutting boards. Besides my large one, I use a small stack of 4 1/2 x 6 1/2 boards with a routed groove around the edges for small jobs, like slicing a single tomato, cutting a wedge of cheese, etc. The make quick clean up, can be used as a portable cheese board, etc. My flexible plastic cutting board like staticfritz posted I pull out for really messy things where I am not chopping directly on it, like peeling and slicing and cutting very juicy fruit that makes a sticky mess. Pick it up afterwards, dump juice in the sink and rinse under water, can stick it in the DW. A variety of cutting surfaces for different uses is ideal. For real chopping with a large chefs knife, to me nothing beats a good large wood board. Plastic beats wood for very messy things and when working with meat/poltry because it can be cleaned and disinfected easily and put in the DW.

All very useful items in the kitchen. I think the most important thing is remembering to use the item. They are only drawer/cupboard clutter unless you use them. Once you get in the habit of reaching for something you realize how helpful it is. I found buying one item at a time and leaving it out on the counter for a couple of weeks so I remembered to use it helped a lot. Once I got into the habit of reaching for it for particular jobs, it became indispensable. Fall is a great time to try that with gadgets for making breads/pies, and for cutting and preparing fruit. Try maybe one or two items a month.

Sue

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

Kulagal, I first bought one at a local gourmet kitchen store, but soon spotted them in Williams-Sonoma and then in Target, where I bought one for our son (in grad school) and for a couple friends, too. The Target brushes look the same as the more expensive ones and work just as well.

BTW, these angled measuring cups are also fantastic. I love that I can now easily see ~ from above~ just how much I have them without having to scrunch down sideways. I have the 1cp, 2cp and set of three mini cups and use them all the time. I bought mine at Target, but have seen them many other places, including W-S.
    Lynn

Lynn

• nauset
    15 years ago

My plastic trash bag holder from Crate and Barrel. I keep mine in the closet pantry. I try now to bring my own bags to the market, but this gadget keeps the messy bags from building up.
    What a great ideas here.
    Carole

Here is a link that might be useful: Upright Bag Holder

• mary_in_nc
    15 years ago

nauset- Consider going to cloth or reuseable plastic bags. It's better for the environment. There are some fun ones at reuseable bags.com :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Reuseable shopping bags

• Amy Short-Jones
    15 years ago

This is a fun topic! I love kitchen gadgets...

I second Lynninnewmexico about the silicone baster brush, I was very excited when I found out that you can slip the little collar down and the bristles unfold so that you can get the entire thing completely clean.

I am also a big fan of my microplane but unfortunately I accidentally melted the cover for it and now we call it the drawer piranha - lurking in the drawer waiting to gobble up your fingers!

I recently got a pampered chef mix 'n chop which I really like. It's great for browning ground turkey so that it doesn't end up in big chunks like it does when you use a spatula (at least in my hands)

Original Author
    15 years ago

I found one of those little scrapers while I was on vacation in Solvang. I haven't really tried it yet but look forward to trying it.

I too love those silicone brushes. They are the best!

I am still trying to figure out how that thing that looks like a squeegie opens up jars, but I will get there!

• remodel1958
    15 years ago

great thread!

My all time favorites have been around a while - both by OXO Good Grips. Veggie swivel peeler and the can opener which leaves the rim of the can smooth instead of all jagged.

My arthritic fingers thank me every time I use these tools.

• mtnwomanbc
    15 years ago

My favorite gadget is a prep taxi -- something I found out about in a similar thread a couple of years ago -- I ordered one immediately and I love it! I also learned about the teflon liners here, and ordered those as well. Indispensible!

I also got a Santuko knife, and just love it. The one I got was less than $30, and it is a decent brand, but it doesn't stay very sharp. A good one would be well over $30, maybe a nice Xmas gift to myself this year...

Of course, I haven't yet started on the reno due to employment issues last year and too busy this year, and now economy going in the tank, which I guess could be a good thing in negotiating contracts. LOL. But I'm about ready to dive in.

Oh, and weighing in on cutting boards -- I primarily use a bamboo board and thick plastic boards, small and large, sometimes an extra large walnut board. If I'm working with raw chicken, I use a larger flexible plastic "board", which then immediately gets sterilized when I'm done.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prep Taxi

• friedajune
    15 years ago

Mustbnuts - re the Swing-A-Way jar opener you are asking about. I hope the pic linked below, from the Swing-A-Way website, will illustrate for you how it works.

Remodel1958 - the Swing-A-Way is especially useful for people with arthritic hands.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swing-A-Way Jar Opener Website

• remodel1958
    15 years ago

That's an interesting tool, ak. Thank you for the tip!

• joann23456
    15 years ago

Oh, I forgot about the silicone brushes - love them!

The thing I always wonder about the flexible cutting mats is, can you recycle them?

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

Not a gadget, but I love my assortment of aprons. Whenever I entertain I tend to prep everything ahead of time, then dress and pretty myself up, then go back into the kitchen and do the finish work. When people arrive, I pull off the apron and voila! the illusion is complete. I can be a foxy broad and cook in the kitchen.

I also love the silicone brushes, my silpat, big silicone oven mitts. Pretty much all my silicone stuff except the muffin pan because cupcakes don't mound up right in them - they just kind of spread out at the top. weird.

I don't have a microplane. I use a very fine wood rasp.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks AKchicago. The picture is worth a thousand words. Now I can visualize it!

• hailefinn
    15 years ago

This is an interesting thread.
    My favorite kitchens items are large Pyrex measuring cups (4 and 8 cup size)to use as mixing bowels---you have a handle to steady them.
    Next is the APPLE CORER that cuts the apple into 8 wedges and the center core is separate. These can be bought at the grocery store or Target.
    Next is a flexible little nozzle you screw onto the end of your kitchen faucet. You can turn it in many angles to direct the water to different areas of your sink. Much handier than pulling out the sprayer. I don't know where my daughter bought it.

HD bought one of those onion choppers but the many little square holes are hard to clean. The onion sticks to it--takes longer to clean than to chop the old fashion way.

• wildchild2x2
    8 years ago

Microplane graters

Jar Popper

Vintage Robertson turner ( so flexible, don't make 'em like that now)

Zyliss ice cream scoops

Fat Daddio's stainless rolling pins

Cuisinart pizza cutter

Proctor Silex electric mini chopper ( like a tiny food processor)

Swedish dough whisk

Granny fork

Parchment paper

Taylor candy thermometer (old with mercury)

Natural pastry brushes (haven't found a silicon one that works except for things like slopping sauce on something like BBQ where even coverage doesn't matter)

• mushcreek
    8 years ago

I've found that a properly timed glass of wine does wonders in our kitchen, and it doesn't need to cost anywhere near $30!

• jakkom
    8 years ago

My silicon rubber spatulas. I get them from restaurant supply stores because they don't fall apart or melt like the crap sold in big box kitchenware depts. Almost all my cookware is non-stick, so these are a necessity.

They cost the same as the crappy ones, but last MUCH longer....like, years and years. I have four, and there are times all four are in the DW or heading for it within the hour!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz