Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cawaps_gw

Design Around This #21: Bold Patterned Tile - Post Designs Here

cawaps
11 years ago

It's time to start posting your kitchen designs featuring bold, patterned tile. The topic was introduced in this thread: Beckground for Bold Patterned Tile (yes, I made a typo in the title).

If you haven't done a "Design Around This" before, please read About the Design Around This threads. It explains the rules for the threads (such as they are), how we choose topics, and provides tips on how to create your own design board. One key point that bears repeating is that these threads are about offering critique of the designs, and in turn accepting criticism of your own designs. Even if you aren't creating a board, you are welcome to offer comments and discussion. Lively discussion makes it more fun for everyone.

Here's a recap of what we said in the background thread. The theme this time is bold patterned tile. What exactly do I mean by that? Well,...

1) Tiles that have at least two distinct colors on each tile

2) Tile that gets its pattern from color (as opposed to the shape of the tile or from a relief pattern--that's another exercise)

3) Using multiple tiles to create an overall pattern, rather than using single patterned tiles as accent tiles. That doesn't mean you can't combine patterned and plain tile: See this recent thread for an example: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0702183118623.html

Additional guidelines

---Neutrals count as colors, but the pattern should still be "bold" and not subtle

---Things that DON'T fit the parameters of this exercise, but could be their own DAT sometime in the future.

-------Mosaics where there is overall patten but each individual tile is a single color.

-------Tile murals, where each tile is different but when combined they create an overall picture.

-------Tiles that create bold patterns through the shape of the tile (like arabesque or star and cross) or through a relief pattern (sometimes you see a colored pattern in relief, those are okay for this exercise)

Comments (79)

• purplepansies
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Cawaps - Villa Lagoon tile - I like the colors a lot, but agree the floor and backsplash are too much together. And I love the 60's revival kitchen! Fun colors, and you can never go wrong with lava lamps!!

Pal - Delft tile - I really like that floor! I think most people would never go with a blue counter, but I think that's what makes this work.

Sochi, I think your "disaster" kitchen is anything but! I like the soft colors very much. Agree with Pal that a green blind would be nice. And that paramount tile for your kitchen is beautiful! Are you going to do it?

• cawaps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One more.

Floor: Marmoleum Real Concrete
    Cabinet: Kraftmaid square recessed panel maple in onyx; Kraftmaid silver screen glass doors
    Hardware: Chinese antique brass cabinet pulls; Plymouth pull from eknobsanpulls.com
    Range and hood: Viking in golden mist
    Counter: Silestone Capri Limestone
    Backsplash: Villa Lagoon Monterey Collection Wave tile
    Paint: Benjamin Moore Fairview Taupe
    Table: Avalon from Crate and Barrel
    Chairs: Thyra white dining chair from interiorexpress.com
    Art: Left Overs Winter08 v.3 by Timohty Tompkins from 1stDibs.com
    Lighting: Maxim Meridian umber bronze pendant light from LampsPlus.com

• purplepansies
    11 years ago

Ann Sacks June tile in amazonite and peacock topaz
    soapstone counters
    Plain & Fancy inset cabinets - Soho in Stony Bridge
    Capital Culinarian range
    Vent-a-Hood
    toasted hickory planks
    Floyd round dining table from zincdoor.com
    West Elm curved leather dining chair in elephant
    Robert Abbey Bling Collection convertiable chandelier from eurostylelighting.com
    crystal satin nickel round knobs from bellacor.com
    Blanco Silgranit sink
    BM West Coast paint - It may be hard to see, but there are a number of blues in the tile. I liked this color best, but you could go lighter or more saturated depending on your taste.

• cawaps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sochi Paramount: This kitchen has some of my favorite things (and I recognize many of yours as well). I have loved the paramount tile since I first saw it, especially the pattern/color that you show. It was one of my top contenders back when I was going to do a real remodel. That line of lighting fixtures is also a personal favorite, and I love it with the green and walnut. The artwork looks great with the other colors, and the chairs are very sexy.

Purplepansies June: I like the delicate, lace effect of the tile. I think the paint is a good match and I like the drama of the darker shade. I was looking at those chairs just yesterday at West Elm (in a different color) and thinking, "Hey, I could use those in one of my boards." They have nice lines.

• sochi
    11 years ago

Two versions of this one, I just couldn't manage not adding some red.

I think the addition of the red moves this from masculine ultra modern to slightly feminine gothic?? Not for the faint of heart at any rate. Different chairs would reduce the 'gothic' feel, but I thought these were fun. They were also the only chairs I found in the right shade of red. A good kitchen for one of the male vampires from True Blood perhaps?

Tile: Petali, Lithea
    Counter: Eros Stellar Silestone
    Cabinets: White Macassar from Real Wood Veneers, Treefrog
    Faucet: Kohler Karbon in black
    Light: Possini Euro Planet Chrome and Black Pendant Chandelier
    Table: Alistir from GLAS
    Chairs: not sure
    Flooring: Concrete
    Range: Smeg

• cawaps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sochi Petali, Lithea: Of the two of these, I like the second one better. I don't think it is so much the masculine/femining thing; I just like red. I think that the femininity of the latter stems more from the style of the chairs (especially that they are tufted) than the color. The chairs in the first one look wicked uncomfortable to me.

You liked the Treefrog veneers, too, huh? Palimpsests finds the coolest sources. He used Chemetal laminates in a long-ago board, and they're so cool that I've used them a few times since.

I have that fixture saved somewhere from when we did animal prints (I did zebra; not sure if I used that fixture in the finished board but I looked at it), and the cabinet laminate really brings that back. I was thinking about those zebra boards anyway, because I'm also working on a B/W kitchen using a very different tile. I don't think mine is coming out gothic at all, though. There is, however, so much black that a lighting designer would be a "must" if you wanted to do it IRL.

• purplepansies
    11 years ago

I like the second one better, too, Sochi. I think the addition of the red is very dramatic. Love that veneer.

I like your last one, too, Cawaps. I'm just drawn to that palette; even with the black cabinets and table and bold tile, it feels "soft" to me. A big reason, I think, is the silver screen uppers that lighten the room and that wonderful paint color. Love the chandelier!

• purplepansies
    11 years ago

I promise this is the last of these Ann Sacks tiles! I just love them - probably because I could never afford them!

Ann Sacks tile - Grace 2 in peridot
    Plain and fancy Novara Amanto Walnut cabinets
    Walnut shelves instead of uppers here
    Caesarstone Blizzard counters
    Capital Culinarian range
    russet hickory plank floor
    Georgetown Dining Table from amishdirectfurniture.com
    Lancaster chair from Crate and Barrel
    Jamie Young drum pendent - zincdoor.com
    Caura rug from CB2
    Had to add in these fun salt and pepper shakers! Koziol Piep salt and pepper set - amazon.com

• sochi
    11 years ago

Purplepansies: Ann Sacks Grace 2 - I just love the Ann Sacks tiles too, there are at least a dozen I'd like to play with. Those salt and peppers are fantastic! The whole kitchen looks lovely, very elegant. Lots of wonderful walnut in this DAT.

Cawaps - yes, I love those tree frog veneers, they are fabulous. I was in a wood/lumber store a couple of weeks ago admiring all kinds of similar gorgeous veneers. DH had to drag me out. Palimpsest does find the greatest things!

Re: my Petali, Lithea kitchen, you would indeed need great lighting to pull it off. I imagine that kitchen in an open concept loft with lots of expansive windows too. I certainly could have used that kitchen in the animal prints DAT, it is very Zebra like.

Purplepansies, June tile: again, very elegant and lovely. The art you chose is perfect. It is a calm and sophisticated kitchen that is sparked alive by the wonderful tile. I think it is examples like this that may encourage your average Gardenwebber (like me) to not be afraid of bold, graphic tile.

Cawaps: Villa Lagoon Monteray Collection Wave - The backsplash, art and fixture are great together. A less modern black fixture would still work well too. I get a similar feel to Purplepansie's June tile - it is an elegant kitchen that could appeal to a wide audience, and it is really brought to life by the tile.

The red lava lamp kitchen is really fun. My 8 year old daughter has a lava lamp she just loves - I'll have to show her this kitchen.

Finally, regarding my Paramount kitchen, to your question Purplepansies, yes, I think we will do it. My only hesitation in ordering the tile is that I have never seen it in person. No one in my city or area carries it. My DH was away on a business trip recently, that city had a shop that carried the tile. They would loan a sample to us for 24 hours with a $500(!) deposit. Not very helpful at all, considering we live a four hour flight away. But I showed DH the olioboard and I think we're willing to make the leap.

• cawaps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sochi, I have seen the Paramount tile in person (Walker Zanger showroom nearby), and it is fabulous. If you are looking at the green (clover), it reads a bit less yellow in real life than in the image you snipped. This color swatch reads closer to the real thing (on my monitor, at least).

{{gwi:1939541}}

The other thing to keep in mind is how very big this tile is at 15x15. It isn't something you want to pick for in between your counter and uppers (not a problem in your space as I recall)

Did you know your Paramount kitchen on this thread is already showing up on a Google search for "Studio Moderne Paramount"?

• sochi
    11 years ago

Thanks Cawaps, the swatch you show does seem quite a bit greener, which is okay. I just did a search an hour or so ago and saw my mood board, so funny.

I do think that it may be too big now (I just posted a separate thread on this). I only have 18" between my counter and the shelves. Unless I went all the way to the ceiling, but this would mess with my pictures. Darn, just when I thought I had made a decision...

• purplepansies
    11 years ago

This is a "softer," much more feminine kitchen. I really like this tile and it's more quiet, subtle pattern. I hope the colors look to you like I see them on my monitor - pale green that seems to go very well with these painted cabinets.

Danse Lucido tile from Artistic Tile
    Merillat cabinets - Ladera maple door in willow
    walnut counters
    Bertazzoni range
    Frigidaire hood
    Blanco silgranit sink
    bridge faucet was a google image, I couldn't find the brand
    Hickory floors
    Round walnut veneer dining table from centuryfurniture.com
    Parson chairs from Home Decorator's
    Brentwood pewter chandelier - laylagrace.com
    paint is a brand called Taubman's (?) - color is sagebrush
    Richelieu 3.5" brushed nickel cabinet pulls from lowes.com

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Oh I do so love this thread. It surprised me how many tiles and tile mfrs I recognized. I bit the bullet last week and ordered a bold patterned tile (kjp) but am second guessing myself and gazing wistfully at these submissions and wishing I'd seen this thread before I ordered anything at all for the kitchen...

For me, the bold tile is sleight of hand, a conjurer's trick. I like my elements individually but somehow, together, they do not amount to anything special. The right tile (contrast in my case) seems to make all the difference.

These are beautiful kitchens!

purple pansies, I love your latest post, very calm and soothing.

Sochi -While not for me. I reaally like your black and red.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

This design is centered around the Ann Sacks Paccha floor tile in icicle, milk, and smoke. It may be difficult to see the pattern, but each encaustic tile has several colors.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Petrified Wood tile from Ann Sacks
    Haiku Silestone
    Krafmaid Cabinets in Maple Canvas
    Whirlpool oven in Biscuit
    Selvaggio Linea mosaic from Ann Sacks (stone and metal)
    Farrow and Ball Slipper Satin wallcolor
    Visual Comfort alabaster fixture
    Leather chairs and tessellated Bone table, thru 1st Dibs
    Carini Lang "Strata" rug
    Curtis Jere "Raindrops" sculpture, thru 1st dibs
    DuVerre Lotus knob

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I think all of these latest contributions work. I particularly like the second to last post, the blue with the Pacca floor tile.

• cawaps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purplepansies Danse Lucido: I love the gray-greens with the dark browns, and the floral print is a nice feminine touch. I'm not entirely sold on stainless with the green (but then I appear to be the sole member of the don't care for stainless club).

Pricklypearcactus Paccha: This kitchen has a lot of the OTK hallmarks (inset Shaker, soapstone, schoolhouse pendants) but you've totally changed it up. I love the blues and the cottagey chair. If the Paccha is the floor tile, are the white hexagonal tiles the backsplash?

Palimpsest Petrified Wood: All the colors and materials work really well together. The cabinets and wallpaper read slightly pinkish on my monitor, which I don't normally see as a plus, but the whole look is very sophisticated.

• cawaps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the last iron I had in the fire. It's pretty eclectic, and by the end I was feeling that it wanted to be Hollywood Regency (I think it was when I put the deco fixture over the Regency table with the modern chairs and the zebra skin mirror on the wall), but it didn't come from me trying to do Hollywood Regency at all. I'll let y'all be the judges of whether it works.

Floor: Marmoeum Graphic Domino
    Cabinets: Kraftmaid square recessed panel maple in onyx
    Counter: Silestone White Zeus Extreme volcano texture
    Range: Lacanche
    Backsplash: Villa Lagoon Ikat tile
    Hood: Rangecraft
    Paint: Benjamin Moore Peace and Happiness
    Rug: Kite Kilim rug from West Elm
    Table: Calligaris Regency dining table from neointeriors.com
    Chairs: Moira dining chairs from neointeriors.com
    Barcelona tall black and white credenza
    Dimond Lighting Alva table lamp
    Rectangular mirror with zebra skin frame from fleurluxuryliving.com
    French Art Deco frosted glass chandelier from 1stdibs.com

• purplepansies
    11 years ago

Don't know if anyone is still doing these, but I have one or two left.

Crown Point cabinets
    soapstone counters
    Mission Tile West - cement tiles from Nicaragua
    Wolf range
    Vent-a-Hood
    natural hickory planks
    Marchella Dining Table - Pier One
    Hampton 3 piece upholstered set - ballarddesigns.com
    Dimensions pendant by Landmark Lighting
    paint - BM Sundial
    The "picture" on the wall is cheating a bit - it's actually a tile from ravenstonetiles.com called "Solitude" - I couldn't find anything I liked except this, so it represents art I'd put here.

• kittycatpaws
    11 years ago

I'm a new member. This was fun.

• cawaps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purplepansies Mission Tile West cement tiles: This is a very soothing color combination. I like the baquette.

Kittycatpaws is my 8-year-old daughter, who wanted to do her own kitchen design. She pulled items from my Olioboard library, so some of the items may look familiar (like the Renoir). Here are her details:

Floor: Armstrong VCT Marina Blue
    Cabinets: Slab doors in periwinkle. Sorry, no detail
    Cabinet hardware: periwinkle flower knobs from Pottery Barn Teen
    Range: La Cornue Albertine
    Cookware: Le Creuset in ink
    Counter: Caesarstone Deep Ocean
    Vases: Dwell Studio vase pebble blue double bulb
    Tile: Polanco 3 Talavera Mexican tile from Tierra y Fuego
    Rangehood: Frigidaire
    Paint: Behr Pear
    Chairs: Austrian Biedermeier side chairs from 1stDibs.com
    Table: Metal top Provencal table from Kaboodle.com
    Art: Roses dans une fenetre by Renoir
    Lighting: Bellina Chandelier in Platinum from ZGallerie

• cawaps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bump

• sochi
    11 years ago

Purplepansies: just lovely again. I really like the uppers, but I'm not sure about tile with those uppers.

kiitycatpaws: nice name! Welcome! I love all the blues in your kitchen, especially that wonderful range. Perhaps a less formal chandelier might work better? I'm not sure though. Great work.
    My 8 year old dd is playing with olioboard too, she is working on her bedroom. She hasn't graduated to kitchens yet! ;)

• purplepansies
    11 years ago

Hi kittycatpaws! Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first design! You did an awesome job, I am impressed! I love the tiles you chose, and almost used that same range in a design I am still working on. I am curious - is blue your favorite color?

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

So much fun - wish I could have done something like this - but chicken!

• ae2ga
    11 years ago

I worked for a bit on creating a design board with my tile, and couldn't figure it out and quit. Shown up by an 8 year old - I hang my head in shame. Obviously, I need to get back to the drawing board and try some more.

• cawaps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, the 8-year-old had help with Olioboard. She probably would have gotten very frustrated without help.

• sochi
    11 years ago

ae2ga - post what you have so far and what you are having trouble with, maybe we can help!

• ae2ga
    11 years ago

So I called my daughter and she said - oh momma, you can do that on the Adobe Design - you just have to ... and she stopped speaking English at that point. I used Publisher instead (a program I know) and saved as a jpeg file.

The cabinet is walnut but it will be the same maple as the table and chairs - I think, unless I do white instead. I also put n a white stove though in my dreams, I have that Lacanche Chagny in French blue which is an almost exact match as the darker blue in the tile (couldn't find a blue one in Google inamges).

The yellow background is very close to the color of the tile which I think I like.

sink: Kohler Bakserfield
    faucet: Newport Brass Chesterfield with sprayer
    countertops - quartize blue enjoy - thanks Marcolo

What I'd really like to do is have a mock up like so many of you with it looking kitchen-like instead of the bunch of pictures, but that is beyond my computer skills - which I thought were good until I tried this...

Thanks bunches to AngieDIY for the tile mock up she did for me in the Only One clown thread.

And without further ado...

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I am glad to see new people giving it a try as well as the regulars :)

• cawaps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ae2ga blue & yellow: So glad you were able to post! Your kitchen was one of the ones that made this thread seem so timely. I love the effect of your tile with the double border, and love how it looks with the blue counter.

• ae2ga
    11 years ago

cawaps - I was so glad that this thread came along when it did. Roof before kitchen, but I'll be ready to make the kitchen dream a reality when the time comes. Blue and yellow are my colors - with a little green to spice things up a bit. Happy colors, pretty colors - and that's what I want, happy and pretty and peaceful.

I still hope there will be a few more posts because I'm learning so much about using colors that are not pastels and blending them with other elements to make a cohensive whole. No neutral here - it's a good thing.

• ae2ga
    11 years ago

Of course, experts to pick apart my idea would be great. Especially if there is a lighting suggestion.

• purplepansies
    11 years ago

I love this kitchen! Here is an example of a real life bold patterned tile from this morning's Houzz ideabook.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Artistic Glass Tile Backsplash[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/kitchen-of-the-week-exquisite-artistic-backsplash-stsetivw-vs~3932601?utm_source=Houzz&utm_campaign=u159&utm_medium=email&utm_content=gallery0)

• purplepansies
    11 years ago

Tile - I cheated a bit here. This is encaustic floor tile from NY, found at Solar Antique Tiles. But I love the color and pattern so much that I would do it on a wall.
    cabinets - Crown Point "Bradford," antique oak in russet
    Rangemaster range in olive
    Zodiaq Magellan Green counters
    table and chairs from amishtables.com
    Stelle chandelier by Murray Feiss
    walls are BM Buxton Blue
    laminate floor (sorry, link was broken so am not sure of source)

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

Wow! You are all so talented!

• eam44
    11 years ago

First attempt at this. I've been obsessed with handmade Greek tiles lately. This one has a raised pattern, and is 6" x 61/4" handmade by SMALTOTECHNIKI CERAMIK, GREECE. I show it with:
    White Six Square Shaker cabinets
    Lisbon Blue paint by Ralph Lauren
    Inca Brown Marble
    Blue range and stainless vent hood by Bluestar
    Greek Key dinnerware by Jonathan Adler
    White marble kitchen island by Newland
    Vase in Rachel's Teal by Edgecomb Potters
    Red Oak floor by Lumber Liquidators

• purplepansies
    11 years ago

Welcome EAM44! That is beautiful tile! And I love the purple range (of course!) with it!

• eam44
    11 years ago

Thanks Purple! It's not easy for me but I'm trying to learn how to work with complex tiles, so I thought it would be a good exercise.

I fell in love with one other handmade Greek tile. It's also got a raised profile, and was made by Nassos Keramiki in Rhodes. I show it with blue cabinets
    Soapstone counters
    Greek plate by Spode
    Flatiron table by Restoration Hardware
    Ralph Lauren Paint in Sullivan
    Mug in Rachel's Teal by Edgecomb Potters
    Metaltec linen tile
    David Tiffany round hanging light

• dee850
    11 years ago

I've been swamped with work and not online often lately, but I have to comment here to say that I LOVE these designs. Everyone has done a fantastic job.

• cawaps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purplepansies encaustic tile: The counter and range look great with the tile. The stainless rangehood, though, seems out of place. I know stainless is supposed to go with anything, but I think this is a counterexample.

EAM44 Smaltotechniki Ceramik: Beautiful tile and a nice use of color without being overwhelming. Glad to have you participating!

EAM44 Nassos Keramiki: This tile reminds me of a kaleidoscope, and I love kaleidoscopes. I like the way the shape of the lighting fixture echos the circles on the tile. Love the linen tile, and the table. I haven't been a fan of the direction Restoration Harware has taken with their merchandise, but this proves that individual pieces work when taken out of the dreary context of the RH catalog.

• ae2ga
    11 years ago

@purplepansies - that last one is divine! I love the grey/green blend of tile, stove, and counters - really beautiful. Makes me think I need a blue stove.

• cawaps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The late entries inspired me to do one more. It came out darker than I intended--I'm not sure the tile is really as dark as it rendered.

Floor: Daltile Metal Fusion in "stainless steel"
    Cabinets: Kraftmaid slab door maple in onyx
    Cabinet Hardware: Nifty Nob square cabinet knobs
    Counter: Silestone Absolute Green
    Cooktop: KitchenAid Pro Style (I wanted a Wolf but couldn't find a pic with black knobs)
    Backsplash: Angela Adams Mammy tile in colorway 1 from Ann Sacks
    Range hood: Rangecraft Cantebury
    Sconces: Possini etched glass polished nickel wall sconce
    Oven: Viking in mint julep
    Paint: Behr Cool White
    Chairs: Leather and oak dining chairs by Harold Schwartz for Romweber, from Redmodernfurniture.com
    Table: 1970s chrome & brass dining table from Redmodernfurniture.com
    White high-gloss buffet from modernfurnitureny.com
    Candice Olson Sydney table lamp, black & chrome from Amazon.com
    Monaco Pendant light from EQ3.com
    Art: Untitled, by Hans Hartung, 1975, 1stDibs

• cawaps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ae2ga contacted me off line soliciting more substantive critique on her board. Apparently we weren't critical enough--step up, people! :)

So I took her tile and design elements and did a couple boards. I thought that her underlying problem was that it is hard to use two vivid, contrasting colors in a design in balanced quantities and intensities without making it look like a college sports jersey (Go Cal Bears!). So I did one design where I let blues predominate and one where I let yellows take the lead, although a lot of the elements are the same.

I focused on the color balance, and the styles of the different elements don't work together as well as I would like. It was devilishly hard finding things in the right color, let alone the right color and style.

Anyway, feel free to rip these apart and let ae2ga know what you really think works and what doesn't with her tile.

Floor:
    .....Yellow: Checkered Marmoleum in Butter and White Marble
    .....Blue: Daltile Micro Flecks in Moonlight Swim
    Cabinets: Kraftmaid square raised panel maple in Cinnamon
    Cabinet Hardware: Plymouth knob and Allison antique brass pull from eknobsandpulls.com
    Range: Bluestar in blue
    Counter:
    .....Yellow: Silestone Yellow Dream
    .....Blue: Silestone Blue Enjoy
    Tile: Ae2ga's tile
    Rangehood: Frigidaire stainless chimney hood
    Paint: Benjamin Moore Barely Yellow
    Rug:
    .....Yellow: Blue oriental rug from therugfactory.com
    .....Blue: Fronter Moroccan ivory & yellow hand-woven wool rug from Zinc Door
    Table: From ae2ga's pic, sorry for the loss of resolution
    Chairs: Furniture Classics English country ladderback side chair from homefurnitureshowroom.com (chosen to resemble ae2ga's, which lost too much resolution to use)
    Art: Bridge in City Park by Charles Woodward Hutson, ca 1910-1920, from 1stDibs.com
    Frame:
    .....Yellow: Paint swatch of Color Guild Galaxy Blue from myperfectcolor.com
    .....Blue: Paint swatch of Benjamin Moore Midnight Navy from myperfectcolor.com
    Lighting:
    .....Yellow: Ikat batik drum pendant from ShadesofLight.com
    .....Blue: All yellow giclee pendant chandelier from eurostylelighting.com (this is the wrong yellow and wrong style, but I couldn't find anything that really worked)

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

I'm really loving the patterned Ann Sacks tiles (obviously). This is Ann Sacks Perennial in Tulip.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Prickly, the Tulip board is really nice. I never thought a "bold tile" kitchen could appear so soothing. Nice work.

• ae2ga
    11 years ago

Thank you SO MUCH! As Cawaps said, I like my individual elements, but I'm not feeling the flow of the them all put together. I really am tough and take take criticism of this deisgn - I actually want it because it will help tremendously.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Thanks Angie! I really love the yellow tones in that tile.
    cawaps - The white hex tile in the Paccha design is indeed the backsplash. I thought it would be fun to echo the pattern but go with a neutral color, and sort of play off of the current trend of the white tile backsplash but in a fun shape.

cawaps - (Lava Lamp) - This is fantastic. Very bold and vintage, but it looks modern too.
    (Monteray Collection Wave) - Lovely and very cohesive. I think this is a very successful use of two tone cabinetry. The light fixture really picks up the tile pattern.

purplepansies - (Ann Sacks June) - Really pretty. I like the combination of the cool blues, gray, and the warm wood floor. The sparkly knobs go so well with that light fixture. I agree with cawaps that the tile has a very pretty delicate lace effect.
    (Ann Sacks Grace 2 Peridot) - I've been eyeing this tile too. The green is just stunning. I personally don't particularly like the door style, but I like everything else about the design.
    (Artistic Tile Danse Lucido) - Very very feminine. I think the chairs push it a little too over the top for my taste, though they go well and I think would probably be well-received by those that like florals. I do really like the soothing greens and the tile pattern.
    (Mission West Cement) - The cabinets are fantastic and really work with the shape of the pattern in the tile.

EAM44 - (Greek Tiles) - These tiles are beautiful. Love the bright blues and how you pull them out in the range and wall color. I think in the first case I might have preferred wood cabinetry to stand up to the bold colors, but I really like the blue cabinetry in the second design.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Backsplash tile is Ann Sacks Sakura in Spring Breeze. I wanted to go for a fairly contemporary look with just a hint of natural/rustic to go with what felt like an earthy pattern in the tile. I tried to balance the cool blues and grays with warm cherry wood.

I'm obviously having a lot of fun with this topic. I hope everyone else is as well.

• cawaps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pricklypearcactus Ann Sacks Perennial in Tulip: I hope it doesn't offend you that this one makes me think of bumble bees. I love it! What a great color yellow, very soothing as Angie_DIY said. The hex floor tiles are great.

Pricklypearcactus Ann Sacks Sakura in Spring Breeze: I like the mix of warm wood and cool blues and grays. Without the wood, the other materials could look industrial and sterile, but together they balance each other.