Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nursetammi

Just finished our Backsplash, thank you for your help.

nursetammi
14 years ago

We finished our backsplash last night. I ended up going with the Scabos tumbled 3x6 Travertine. I also decided to just frame the plaque in bronze rather than using 4x4 tiles. I was struggling over how to frame the plaque when all along I just wanted a frame. Sometimes the answer is so simple, you don't even think of it (ha ha). Thanks for all your help and suggestions. We are almost ready for the finished kitchen site :) We are just short of 6 months with this remodel.

Comments (40)

• prill
    14 years ago

Wow - really pretty. It goes with everything else in your kitchen beautifully.

• skeetie219
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful... you have great taste.Who made your cabinets?

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Lovely!

• nc_cowgirl
    14 years ago

That is so pretty!! Could you tell me where you got your tile? I saw some tile on ebay called scabos and liked it..don't know much about tile, just that I love the tumbled tile and muted colors. Again, very pretty!
    Dana

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

I think it is beautiful. The tiles blend but still add elegance. I think the plaque is just the right touch. For someone that said she was a rookie at all this you sure have done an amazing job. I can't wait to see the whole space finished.

• marybeth1
    14 years ago

Oh Tammi it is beautiful! It's like the perfect frame to a beautiful picture. I think design is all about the details and you nailed it! Great Job!
    Mary Beth

• lululemon
    14 years ago

That tile is beautiful and your kitchen looks great. Congratulations!

BTW I also love your faucet - can you give me any details?

Thanks

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Looks rich, elegant,... just beautiful. Congrats on making such great choices!

• lyno
    14 years ago

It turned out beautiful! Your whole kitchen is gorgeous!

• crzyktchnlady
    14 years ago

I'm glad you went with your gut and picked the Scabos that you loved, tammi. It looks wonderful, especially with just the few diamond medallion accents. They tie beautifully to the simple bronze frame, which was a perfect choice for your plaque. Congratulations on a beautiful kitchen!!

• cininohio
    14 years ago

Wow, that is perfect, did you do it yourselves? Very regal design! I just want to walk right up to that range. lol

• nursetammi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You are all too kind and it means so much coming from all of you on this website because I know you see so many beautiful things.

To answer your questions: The cabinets were from a local company here in Atlanta called BQ Custom Cabinetry. They have been terrific. I can't say enough about them. The tile I bought from a company called Topcu in Duluth, Ga. They have very good displays which helped me see what it was going to look like. I put their website below. The faucet I bought in Home Depot, its called Kate. It's a Delta with the Magnet seal for the pulldown. I have 2 of those and the prep sink was from Lowes.(I know, I know, what was I thinking having 3 sinks?) The Kate's were only $188, and the Lowes faucet was only $118. I thought they were all great prices. The Kate faucet is relatively new so it does not have a companion bar/prep sink faucet yet. I lucked out finding one in Lowes that went relatively well with the Kate's. Its also a pull down.

Thanks again. you guys are just great :) Reading what you wrote is like getting approval from your parents or teachers :) Now I need help decorating the room with furniture. Just when you think you made it, here comes more decisions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Topcu Tile and Stone

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

It looks terrific! Your kitchen has a beautiful old world charm (the updated kind!) and everything works well together!

• tabteacher
    14 years ago

Hi! Love your kitchen. Can you tell me the name of your granite? Thanks.

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

Oh my. Your kitchen could have been my inspiration kitchen. I love everything! Thanks for the info on the faucets, I'm shopping for that now.

• mamalynn
    14 years ago

Gorgeous! Your backsplash is just perfect as is everything else in your kitchen!

• socalusa
    14 years ago

Perfect choice on the Scabos - it meshes wonderfully with the warmth of your other choices. Love your kitchen. :-)

• nursetammi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Did we do it ourselves? Pretty much if you consider asking 20 million people what they thought doing it yourself.
    Interesting story, I did start out with a decorator but she ended up leaving me because I did not go with her cabinet guy. My contractor works with BQ, I just loved BQ Custom Cabinetry's work and felt I needed to go with my gut on that one. My decorator gives out free design as long as you use her vendors, since I didn't, away she went. No hard feelings, its just the way she does business. So I was left to fend for myself and then I found you guys which gave me the confidence to do it on my own. Thank you Garden Web!

Here is a link that might be useful: BQ Custom Cabinetry

• jenocurley
    14 years ago

gorgeous kitchen!

• brutuses
    14 years ago

That is beautiful.

• karena_2009
    14 years ago

Wow! Your cabinetry is to die for! It's great that you found a custom cabinet shop in your area to work with. I love your range mantle, it is very nicely done, I'm sure you don't have the head banging problem with that one ;-). What a warm and inviting kitchen. Congratulations Tammi!

• skeetie219
    14 years ago

Hi Tammi:
    Can you share the cabinetry costs ?.....i haven't committed to anything yet (well I'm close to a floor and the appliances) but still trying to decide on cabinets. Thanks-I'm getting a lot of great ideas from kitchen- love the details to the rangetop bump out...How do you like the stain wood vs the cream cabinets?

• tj_shopper Eng
    14 years ago

It's beautiful! Everything just looks great together. I love your granite and the backsplash choice!

• marcy96
    14 years ago

What a gorgeous kitchen! I love everything! It's elegant, warm, inviting, but not overly fussy. I love your choices of cabinet color, granite and backsplash. I also like the contrast of the painted buffet cabinets! You did a wonderful job! Congratulations! Can you post a few more pictures of the whole space for us?

• nursetammi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all so much. I will post some more pics when I get back in town. There are some really nice parts to the cabinets that I want to share with you and also to show you my view from the kitchen.

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

I remember you posting a picture of your design ideas. I think you very much made the right choice without the bronze liners. The squares are just perfect!!

Can you give any additional info on the tile? I am going to use this too! I called Topcu but they don't deal with public. Who is the manufacturer or can you post a picture of the box it came in?

Gorgeous kitchen, very well done!

• kelvar
    14 years ago

Beautiful kitchen; congratulations. I've clipped your post so I can show DH.

• fourtogo
    14 years ago

Very beautiful! You have a knack for designing. Everything blends perfectly.

• crazyone
    14 years ago

OMG, stunning
    you may have swayed me over to lighter granite!

• crazyone
    14 years ago

PS what wood and color are you cupboards?

• nursetammi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The wood is Alder and the finish was copied from a Thomasville cherry stain with whiskey black glaze.I loved my sister's cabinets and asked my cabinet guys to match the color.

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

It's spectacular! Love it all! Your grape plaque is just beautiful :) Enjoy your kitchen for years and years :)
    Monica

• bunnicula03
    14 years ago

Your kitchen came out just gorgeous! You must be thrilled. I love the tile, it sets everything off beautifully. I'm also admiring your faucet, since I'm looking for something similar. I work at HD and have not noticed this faucet. Hmmmm...

The granite looks very much like several Giallo Vicenza slabs I've been looking at. I loved the gray tones many of them have blended in. I thought they were Giallo Veneziano, but the granite yard insists they're Vicenza. This was one of my top contenders til I fell in love with Crema Bordeaux. But the Vicenza/Veneziano does have a rich, old world feel to it that can be stunning with the right cabinets.

Congrats on a beautiful kitchen!

• nursetammi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey bunnicula, I think you may be right. I may have misunderstood and heard Giallo Veneziano when all along he was saying Giallo Vicenza. Thanks so much, now I can at least tell people when they ask :)

• gail4him
    11 years ago

I'm redoing my kitchen first time ever (33 yrs in this 1950's house). I picked what I thought was fairly uniform, but a little bold granite, Giallo Veneziano. I am on the demo phase but feeling a little nervous now about the pick. Is it too busy? I so appreciate seeing the above photo,looks beautiful. I would feel better if anyone else out there would share their feelings or pictures.

• willtv
    11 years ago

Only you will know if it's too busy for you.
    I think it's a nice piece of rock.
    Here's a picture from Stonecontacts website that may give you a better idea.

Try a Google Image search and you'll find more pics.

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

Very grand nursetammi! Such an attention to detail, you did a great job in putting it all together. I'll eagerly await your final reveal!

(love the name, I am a nurse as well)

• Pattyjill
    11 years ago

Oh I love your kitchen. Giving me great ideas on color. Thank you!

• Kari Martin
    8 years ago

Hi there, it came out beautiful! What color grout did you use? We have scabos also and I'm having a time choosing a grout color.