Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
kitchen layout advice for new kitchen

Posted by ma_home_owner (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 17:27

We are in the process of building a new home and are at the point where we are picking the kitchen cabinet design and appliances. The house has a rough frame on it, but can be easily changed at this point if we want to fine tune the cabinets.

My architect proposed a layout which is shown here. We could not fit that many cabinets to the right of the window due to the wall space. One idea that the kitchen designer suggested was to put in a wall from that connects the island to the back wall effectively turning this into one big peninsula with attached island? My architect is not a fan of this as he feels that it will cut down walking access into the kitchen and reduce a large open expanse all the way from kitchen into the living room. I'm not a kitchen expert so I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations?

Thanks a bunch for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
OK, here's a first try. FWIW.

First, a question. Is that a pantry in the bottom left? I hope so.

OK, here's a first try. I don't like it, but it might provoke ideas.
Photobucket

Advantages:
1. Makes use of the long lower wall
2. Provides more prep space on the island. (I am assuming the architect's design had a raised rim.
3. Decent work triangle from range to fridge to prep sink--although it is a long way from fridge to range!
4. Countertop beside ovens.

Disadvantages.
1. The biggest--Fridge is far off from breakfast area.
2. I just plain don't really like it.
The whole area is too big, too spread out. Interesting to see what others can imagine.

o
RE: kitchen layout advice for new kitchen

Thanks for the input.

Yes, that area to lower left is a pantry (about 40 square feet I think).

I do like how you laid out the island better than what we have today as it gives us more space for prep.

The area that you moved the frig into we planned to use for a wet bar with a wine frig and wine rack.

o
RE: kitchen layout advice for new kitchen

Much better than the KD's weird idea of the fishhook island, if I understood correctly. However, I don't see quite enough aisle space for seating on the side.

What is the doorway between the fridge and pantry?

Why is there a huge desk in the middle of the breakfast room?

o
A few more questions

A few questions about architect's drawing, your planned use of the area, and your use of the kitchen.
1. What are the shapes numbered 13? My best guess was skylights.
2. What do the areas bordered with scalloped lines indicate? No guess here.
3. I assume the squares in the breakfast room area indicate a coffered ceiling. Is that correct?
4. In your plan, does the ''desk'' match the kitchen cabinets?
5. Do you cook a lot? Do you prepare large meals? Do you want to? The usable kitchen area if you do not use the bottom wall is only about 12 x 15. That isn't tiny, of course, but neither is it spacious, especially when it is limited to only two usable walls.

I hope someone can see a better way to make use of this expansive area. If you answer these questions and Marcolo's, it may help GW's outside-the-box thinkers come up with a great idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here