Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joan2121_gw

Show me your windows!

joan2121
13 years ago

We are getting down to the nitty-gritty in planning the kitchen. Time to tell the contractor where to put windows and doors. The kitchen/dining room/family room will run across the back of the house. There will be french doors in the dining area, and french doors in the den. We have all woods in the back so want lots of views. I wanted to go with no uppers, but DH can't see it. So, how about 8 feet of windows over the sink area, and one double upper on each side. The upper on the right will have a corner cab next to it and go around to range. The other end will be the start of the dining area. Probably put a column or half wall there. Or maybe a small hutch? Question is how should I configure the the windows over the sink? I want them down to the counter so they will be bumped out. Contractor said no problem there. Cabinets will be creamy white, 4x8 ft island. Need to get this decided so we can order cabinets.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (12)

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

I have 8' of windows but no uppers. Seems like I've posted my windows for you before? It all runs together. You're welcome to photoshop uppers into my photo if it is at all similar to what you're doing. What about just uppers on the right? Though I love the look of a hutch and it would be a great way to give a different feel than just uppers on the left. Do you have pictures?

Here's a pic just in case I haven't given you one before.

We decided not to go down to counter. GC couldn't imagine it, said it would look strange, I knew it wouldn't but didn't feel like having to explain, it wasn't that important to me. I'm happy with how they turned out. You do have to be aware of code for outlets on either side of the sink, if your sink will be under the window.

• mikomum
    13 years ago

I'm going to keep my eye on this thread as we're also planning a large open bank of windows.jsweenc, beautiful kitchen. I can tell you're a lover of natural light as well.

• hmdennis
    13 years ago

My windows don't go all the way down to the counter, but I do have cabinets on each side to help you imagine what that might look like.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• abbycat9990
    13 years ago

Our windows span a 15' wall. We converted a DR to the kitchen, and were replacing three windows that almost reached from floor to ceiling. There was never any thought to add uppers. We DO have additional storage in the old kitchen (now laundry/pantry). There are a few things I might change in the kitchen, but the windows are a definite yes. Our back yard borders on an alley, but we have a nice tree buffer. Additionally, we have cultivated a visiting bird population with well stocked bird feeding stations. The kitchen windows are a big hit with the whole bird-watching family, including the cats ;)

• Buehl
    13 years ago

See the linked thread for more pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: counter height window pictures please

• kitchenkrazed09
    13 years ago

We have a similar situation to you and sounds like similar views. Â We have 15' of windows over the sink, then a double French door and then another 9.5' of windows in the family room area. Â We will have no uppers on that wall because I wanted the windows to be the focal point and I didn't want cabinets jutting out and getting in the way of the view or blocking any natural light. Â Willow Decor wrote a great article on this very thing on her blog with lots of photos. Â I'm attaching the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Willow Decor Blog

• joan2121
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just want to thank you all so much for your input. Of course the new decision is what kind of windows!! Casement? double hung? Grids or no grids? Yikes! Love the thread on counter height windows. Thanks, buehl.
    Kitchenkrazed, how are you coming along? My construction is supposed to start Oct 9- if I get the windows decided and ordered.

• kitchenkrazed09
    13 years ago

Hi Joan - We are moving along slowly but surely. Almost all of the drywall has been installed and the taper/spackler will be here next week.

I had double-hung windows installed because that is what matched the rest of the house (and I just like the look and that you can open them wider). I have grids for the top half of the windows only. I originally planned to order for both top and bottom like the rest of the house, but then realized they were getting in the way of the view. The grid I chose for the Andersen double patio door is the prairie style, which is also a less intrusive look.

One thing to watch out for, if you install double-hung windows (or casements for that matter), make sure the middle rail will not fall right at your eye level when you are at the sink. Also, make sure you take into account the height of your finished floor when calculating this. My husband and I checked this out first for both of us. I believe Andersen also has a "cottage style" window where the bottom half is larger than the top half.

You may also want to install handles on any double-hung windows that will be over base cabinets. I didn't and I'm not sure if this will be a problem when I want to open them. Right now, I push up on the middle rail to open, but don't know if I will be able to reach the middle to do that when the cabinets are installed. I may just add some handles.

Also, some Andersen windows are in stock at local suppliers, but some of them take about a month to come in, depending on size and color. We ordered windows with the pre-finished white interior and those aren't always in stock. Hope all of this helps and keep us posted!

• pps7
    13 years ago

Do it! You won't regret it!

{{gwi:1509803}}

• joan2121
    Original Author
    13 years ago

pps, love you kitchen! Thanks for sharing.
    Kitchenkrazed, thanks for the advice about the center rail being at eye level.It would be. I decided to go with casement with the grill only at top like erikanh.
    Mikomum, I found great link in addition to the one Buehl posted. It is by erikanh when she was planning her windows. (I was sooo glad to read others are going through the same questions and Ideas I have). It is old, hope this works: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1200144612240.html
    I actually found it by doing a google search for "kitchen window" images. And of course, GW popped up!
    Colleen, just like you, I would never have known about windows to the counter if I didn't read these posts! GWers are the best!!

• joan2121
    Original Author
    13 years ago

PPS, Mind if I as a few questions? I like the look of your windows. What size is your opening? I don't think I can go any more than 9 feet, and yours looks about 6- I wonder if I could fit 2 more like that into my space. Also, what brand are they?

• pps7
    13 years ago

The entire window with the casing is a little over 8' (99"). If you have 9' I would do 3 windows. The windows are windsor pinnacle clad casements.