Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
young_2008

saved my granite and my marriage

young_2008
15 years ago

My husband insisted I keep the granite behind the cook top which created quite the design challenge! Some of you said to go with a ceramic tile that wouldn't fight with the granite but I went with my heart and picked tumbled travertine with lots of variation. It may not be perfect beside the granite but I love it everywhere else and I'm still happily married! Thanks for visiting.

Comments (19)

• raehelen
    15 years ago

AND, when you wipe grease off easily, you'll be so happy! I'm hoping my frikken #@***Kitchen company delivers my BS before the bankruptcy court grabs everything- so it could be worse, you could have NO BS!!!

First time I've seen the travertine in a subway style, bet it looks really nice in person! (So hard to capture all the gorgeous nuances in a picture)

• lovemcm
    15 years ago

I think it looks perfect, and love seeing it in the subway style. Nice choice!

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    15 years ago

I LOVE your backsplash and I think the granite behind the stove looks fabulous! Great color pallette with a very warm feel - Well Done ;)

• fairytalebaby
    15 years ago

Ooooooohhh, I love it. I need your BS info...the travertine tiles are perfect!

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    15 years ago

Yes I would like your BS info as well. Taking notes...

• young_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you! The tile is called Via Rustica but I had to make things difficult and mixed in half Golden Sienna (which is the yellow/golden stones). If I had to do it over I would have just stuck with the Via Rustica. I tossed a bunch of dark stones and replaced them with the Golden Sienna but after the grout is added everything looks great, even the dark stones. Do you see too much gold?

• marybeth1
    15 years ago

I think it looks very nice also and you can't beat the ease of clean up(I'm such a messy cook)DH really likes the idea of a granite backsplace for that reason. I love how you married the two.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Very pretty! Great job! I am very happy for you!

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Looks very nice -- the colors in the granite & backsplash go very well together! They both have the same amount of interest (if that makes any sense) so that neither ends up receding into the background. More important than GWrs' thoughts, of course, is your DH's opinion.

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

Looks wonderful! I like the mix you did on the backsplash, not only mixing tiles with granite, but also the mix of the colors. Everyone's happy! Good job!

• mcps
    15 years ago

I love it! Don't think it competes at all.

• msrose
    15 years ago

I love your backsplash! Can you tell me what granite that is?

Laurie

• msrose
    15 years ago

bump!

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

The splash looks terrific with your granite--yay, crisis averted!

• young_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone, your comments are reassuring!

msrose, The granite is Juparan Wave

Thanks for stopping by!

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

I also think you did a great job choosing a backsplash that complements the granite. Good work. Saving the marriage is the most important thing, after all!

• quietlife3
    15 years ago

young - did you say in another post that you painted these cabinets? They are gorgeous! If I read that right, could you post the colors and steps you used? If I'm confused...well, it's not the first or last time lol!

• young_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

quietlife3, yes, I painted the cabinets (well I hired someone). I chose Greenfield Pumpkin by Benjamin Moore and had them glazed with a raw umber color. I think they look like wood and they look so much better than the orange oak I used to have. I'm so glad you like it.

• quietlife3
    15 years ago

Thanks for the details. I would never have guessed there was orange oak hiding under there. I hope you're enjoying your beautiful new kitchen!