Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gena_hooper

I have cabinets!!! (Cooking Apple Green preview)

Gena Hooper
13 years ago

Okay. Just some cabinets are up, but I'm so stupidly excited that I couldn't wait to share them. I'm pretty sure no one would understand why I'm so thrilled except y'all. So here they are!

For anyone who's worried about doing color, don't be! Our cabinets are Farrow & Ball Cooking Apple Green (a light green) and Old White (a putty). I love the Cooking Apple Green cabinets! They look exactly as I'd hoped. Like they could be original to our 1935 house. We also mixed inset uppers on the glass cabinets with frameless everywhere else. I think it looks great, and adds that period detail where it's most noticeable.

For anybody in the Boston area looking for custom cabinet makers, I wholeheartedly recommend Patty and Billy at Country Craftsmen. They were wonderful to work with, and their prices were very reasonable. They followed every detail of a custom, detailed scheme down to a "Drill holes here. Don't drill holes here" level. Most of all, their cabinetry is gorgeous. Our GC kept complimenting them.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog if you want to see more

Comments (66)

• katsmah
    13 years ago

I love the green cabinets with the glass knobs. Your kitchen is off to a great start. I waffled going with creamy white uppers and green lowers, but chickened out and went with all creamy white. I live in a small 1938 house, so I'm looking forward to seeing how your house comes together, you are far ahead of me.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Love them. Love them. LOVE THEM! -sorry to shout ;) I'm glad you made that choice. You have a right to be excited!

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Those are great! Very nice color. Love your enthusiasm.

• ebean
    13 years ago

lovely - and love the vintage soft green.

• geargirly
    13 years ago

That is very close to my cabinet color and I'm keeping my cabs but replacing my counters, what wall color is that and what counters are you doing? I'm thinking of maybe something marbly looking!

• sfmomoxo
    13 years ago

Love them!!!!! And thank you for telling us all to be brave about colors. Right now my upper cabinets are being painted mango...and I've been so nervous. They should be up about this time next week. I hope they look as fabulous as yours! Congrats!!!!

• lala girl
    13 years ago

The.Most.Perfect.Color.Ever.

I seriously love these cabinets! How that color can be happy/energizing and calm/serene at the same time is a mystery... amazing choices - cannot wait to the finished kitchen - enjoy!!!

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

Of course you're excited. They're looking great! Enjoy!!

• Christine Clemens
    13 years ago

I just love your cabinets. I am very partial to green and I love the colors you chose. You are going to have the cutest kitchen.

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

I just had to look at your photos again. LOVE the green, love painted cabinets that are a color. Your color is soft but striking - great balance. We are noodling with painting the insides of our red birch cabinets a similar green. I really like the homey look of painted cabinets but my husband is a natural wood guy all the way - so we split the different and have natural red birch and painted. The painted cabinets are white - the room is pretty dark. I figure during some future refresh I can rethink the painted color. Congrats - I look forward to seeing your finished kitchen.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Oooohhhhhh love the soft cooking apple color. It is going
    to be magnifique.
    I can see why you are excited.

~boxerpups

• brickton
    13 years ago

Pickle, I've said it before and I will continue to say it: You have hands down my favorite kitchen going right now. I love the white knobs on white shaker cabs. I love the green cabinets. Seriously there is something so happy? about your kitchen cabinets? I can't describe it but there is a positively gleeful simplicity to your choices that I love and hope to replicate in my kitchen and whole home.

• Gena Hooper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for all the compliments and for sharing my excitement!! I'm feeling absolutely giddy...like a little kid. The guys are hard at work installing more today, and I'm trying very hard to keep from taking constant sneak peeks.

Answers to questions...We're doing soapstone for the apple green cabinets and Danby marble for the putty cabinets. The wall color right now is raw plaster veneer. I think it will eventually be Farrow's Cream. The floor is reclaimed white oak (DIY!) finished with Waterlox. Elizpiz, maybe the whole "pickle" thing was foreshadowing. ;^)

There are a few choices still to be made, and I'm feeling a bit of self-imposed pressure not to screw it up. Yes. I'm a worrywart. Sometimes just a plain ole wart. Deep breath. Whooo...

• sis2two
    13 years ago

Love the color of soft green that you've chosen! What are you doing for your countertops? Soapstone would be nice but I am partial. I'm sure whatever you choose will look nice because you did a great job with the cabinets.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

You have fantastic taste, by which I mean, it's just like mine.

However, I am getting INCREASINGLY irritated that you are doing MY KITCHEN that I've wanted to do since FOREVER and instead I'm blowing all my time and money on "little" updates that have stretched on since Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth.

Did you have a KD besides Patti (who I think is great, too, BTW)?

• babushka_cat
    13 years ago

absolutely lovely! can't wait to see the finished product.
    also loved your blog!

question for you - you mention in your blog that you were going to paint the cabinets. did you end up doing that, and if so do you have any tips? i am considering the same thing and will have similar cabinetry so interested in your experience. thanks in advance for any info you can share.

• Gena Hooper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Isn't it amazing how old houses gobble up little updates? Insatiable little suckers. I didn't use a KD other than this forum. We generated drawings on SketchUp. Country Craftsmen did the final drawings after they measured.

Babushka cat, we ended up having our cabinetmakers paint. Which was a good thing because after we moved out all of our kitchen/mudroom stuff, we had no room to work on cabinets. I think amberley and pirula painted their own cabinets if you want to message them. I'm sure others have done it also.

• kitchenkelly
    13 years ago

That is going to be one amazing kitchen. You make me want to get in my car and go buy paint.

• wallycat
    13 years ago

I love them!!!
    I plan to mix/match cabinets if we build and darker green was in my mix of choices. Glad to know you love them!

• malhgold
    13 years ago

Fabulous....I remember all the stress over the exact color choices. It looks gorgeous. Can't wait to see it when the counters are installed.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Pick me up off the floor....that is spectacular. I am still lusting after painted cabinets, two years after my stained ones went in. Feeling better about picking a neutral backsplash so I don't rule out the possibility of paint somewhere down the road. Please keep the photos coming!

• megfitz
    13 years ago

Wow I love the color! Wish I could convince my husband to do something similar. It looks so fresh!

• hotdog_2010
    13 years ago

Sooooooo soft and pretty....

Can't wait to see it all finished and accessorized! It's going to be GORGEOUS!!!

I debated endlessly over having a soft blue island, but chickened out at the last minute......good for you for "going green"!

• babushka_cat
    13 years ago

pickle2-

thanks for the reply re: painting, much appreciated. also appreciate the tip re: mixing inset with frameless. have heard this before but helpful to see. will have to discuss with my cabinetmaker what the savings would be if i took this approach. am over budget, may need to consider this... :)

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

SO pretty! Thanks for sharing. I'm excited for you, and have been wondering ever since those paint threads of months past about this color. Progress is wonderful!

• littlesmokie
    13 years ago

I also remember you posting for feedback about your color/countertop choices. It is is so exciting to see things coming together.

Honestly, I think so many of us are excited because you are using color in a way that many of us want to, but few of us have the courage to do!

I'm really struggling with this "timeless" off white vs more color choice. I also just discussed mixing inset with frameless cabs on Friday and after seeing yours think I might go for it. Thanks for the inspiration and can't wait to see more pics!

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi pickle...

I admire the uniqueness (is that a word? I don't have time to google Websters.com) of your kitchen. I can't wait to see the end results...Lovely so far.

KA:)

• artemis78
    13 years ago

I'm loving this kitchen too---have been following the progress on the blog but realized I hadn't posted to say beautiful job! Your kitchen is actually convincing me to reconsider green for some of our cabinets---that shade is exactly what DH wants, but I'd vetoed it since this isn't a long-term house for us and, as lots of people here have noted, I'm also a bit afraid of the color commitment...but it looks beautiful, and I'm warming to the idea of using color on one side of our kitchen and keeping our inset side white, after seeing the combo in your kitchen. Just ordered the F&B swatch book...baby steps! Might be the perfect compromise. Can't wait to see it finished!!

• artemis78
    13 years ago

(Oh---and as a native Texan who followed that up with 15 years in New England, I love your blog name! :) Just looking at your list of labels makes me miss Boston...now I'm in the land of zipcodes-beginning-with-9, which is another world all together!)

• chucksmith
    13 years ago

It looks gorgeous! Are you planning to put up a countertop on your kitchen? I see your kitchen has limited space, but a little tweak on the arrangement can do the trick. I love the colors by the way...keep up the good job!

Here is a link that might be useful: In Stock Kitchens

• trinkette1
    13 years ago

Two of my favorite Farrow & Ball colors, Cooking Apple Green and Old White. Thank you for sharing your photos. I can't wait to hear how you like it all when your pretty kitchen is finished. Please share more photos when the counters and walls are ready!

• beachpea3
    13 years ago

pickle2 What fun to see your cabinets!! I had just started peeking in here when you were selecting your paint colors. The colors are perfect! Can't wait to see the soapstone and marble...classy choices! Love all your knobs and pulls too - especially the library pulls. Am enjoying your blog too.

Can you share where you got your soapstone? Did they also do the fabrication? Am also in the Boston area. Thank you.

Cheers! Beachpea

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

What the....? chucksmith, are you a for real poster or a spammer? Your question "Are you planning to put up a countertop on your kitchen?" has me wondering. Not only has pickle2 already posted her countertop choices but who in their right mind wouldn't put a countertop in a kitchen?!?! If you aren't a spammer, sorry for jumping to the wrong conclusion.

If you are a spammer, go away. Now.

pickle, I keep checking this thread, hoping to see more progress. Don't make us wait too long!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I love the colors too...that green is awesome and just screams ageless (along with the glass knobs and library pulls). Can't wait to see how the rest of your kitchen turns out...you are off to a great start!!!

• Gena Hooper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry for being so quiet. Went seaside for awhile. Now that I'm home to the reno and back-to-school craziness, I really want to go back to the ocean. So relaxing!

Beachpea, I got my soapstone from Dorado. Because I'm doing both marble and soapstone, they're not doing the fabrication. I asked if they'd do both, but didn't get a response. Jesse from BFR is doing my fab. The counters should go in Thursday so I'll let you know how it goes.

Here's the kitchen progress. Sorry the photos are a bit gollywonkers and dim. Molding is up, and the hood exterior is up. The hood is only primed at the moment because I don't know if I want it the wall color or Cooking Apple Green. Suggestions?

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

Pickle - Looking great. I like the wood trim on the hood -will that stay? What is your wall color going to be, white as is or something else? Without knowing the wall color, my first reaction is to lean towards not using the cooking apple - to avoid apple, then wall than apple. You could even do an accent color - black, gray, terra cotta - but maybe that wood scream "HOOD" too loudlly :) If your wall color is something else - white on the hood is very nice. If you happen to be using a white subway backsplash, I have seen some really striking hoods with the subway tile on it, though it may not be your thing.

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

Glad you posted. I wanz to see more.

We did the board in green and the rest of the hood in the wall color. Yours - might consider the taupe color?

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Sooo much fun to see your kitchen progress.

I have similar questions as sparklekitty. What have you chosen for your wall color? Are you wanting the hood to be a focus or to blend into the background?

In the meantime, here's an inspiration pic for you from my kitchen lust file.

• rj56
    13 years ago

Green is my favorite color, and I love your kitchen! What a pleasant green. Congrats!

• Gena Hooper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, the wood trim will stay. It's reclaimed white oak, the same as the floor.

Lisa_a, I have that exact inspiration photo in my file! I'd even emailed about a pair of reclaimed corbels similar to those in that photo.

The wall color. That's the problem. I thought it was going to be Farrow's Cream which is a fairly subtle (though distinctly yellowish) cream. It ties in with our backsplash which is this:

The cream and green tiles will be more randomly dispersed throughout. Behind the range (black Aga) will be a stainless-clad board. Like the marble slab in Lisa_a's picture, but in stainless.

The Farrow's Cream gives the whole room a distinctly retro feel. Bright, colorful, cheery. I'm torn between the creamy yellow and a more muted pale mushroom shade (like the cabinet color, but paler) for the walls. I'm concerned the pale mushroom (basically almost a white...a non-color) will be too cool.

Because the range is unusual, does that make it and the hood a natural focal point? Maybe I'm getting too many focal points for a small space? Ugh. I'm starting to get decisioned-out.

• chocolatetruffle
    13 years ago

Ooooh, I love your green! I am a green-a-holic. I love the crystal knobs on your cabinets, too. I can't wait to see the finished kitchen!

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Well, of course you have that same photo. You have good taste! LOL

Thinking out loud here (or rather thinking through my fingers)....

Given the choice between painting the hood the same as the walls or painting it to match your lovely green cabs, I'd paint it to match the walls. Picture this vertical image: black range, stainless backsplash, wood trim, green hood standing out against a wall painted a different color. Or: black range, stainless backsplash, wood trim, painted hood blending into the wall. It think the latter presents a calmer picture overall, especially given the varied pattern of your tile backsplash.

As for what color to paint your walls, hmmmm.

Are the putty cabs close in color to the grayish tiles in your backsplash? And does that color blend well (in same color family) with the SS treatment behind the range? If so, using a paler version of the putty cabs will give a soothing, pulled together look while pulling in the wall of cabs across from the range.

But frankly, Farrow's cream is calling my name (pick me, pick me, pick me). I think it matches the mood of your happy green cabinet color so well and will harmonize nicely with the hood's wood trim and the wood floors. I also like that it picks up the cream tiles, especially since I don't see that color used anywhere else in your plan.

Oh, but I forgot to take into account your counters! Danby marble has gray veins, right? That's brings a lot of cool tones to the space as well. Perhaps enough for you?

So I think it comes down to this: If green is your primary color for your space, what do you want to use as the secondary color, mushroom or cream? Are you aiming for a soothing, serene space (mushroom) or a cheerful, retro feel (cream)?

• roseofblue
    13 years ago

pickle, Oh my, just beautiful, those cabinets are amazing - will you please ask you Custom Country builders if they know of anyone in the Cincinnati area or nearby who also builds cabinets? Really appreciate you help, we are still trying to decide between the stained, light Cherry and the Painted Cabinets.
    Just wondering which way your windows face, looking out of the Kitchen? If your light is coming from the South, then a cooler more subtle color will be warmed up by the sunlight, right? But if you have Northern light then it may be more cheerful in the long winters to use the warmer color, did you say a soft creamy yellow, was your other choice? Perhaps you could take another picture with the mushroom shade of paint on one side of the gorgeous marble back splash and put the creamy yellow color along side of the marble and in between the apple green wood - then we will see all your selections. I am leaning toward the warmer creamy yellow unless your window faces South, just because you live in the North! Do you have any saved pictures of Kitchens with the Apple Green and the warmer soft yellow - how do you like that look? Is it possible to paint a wide swatch of both colors along side of the Apple Green Cabinets, to better see the look that appeals to you! And to see these colors on the wall, both in the daylight and at night with the electric lights, might make it easier for you! roseofblue

• rhome410
    13 years ago

It's hard without being in the space, but I'm not 'feeling the green' for your hood. I like the idea of the wall color, better, I think, and am leaning toward the cream. I like the 'retro feel' description and think it will let your Old White cabinets stand out a bit. I love those and don't want them to fade too far back from the green ones. I also think it will feel cheerier.

I CAN'T WAIT to see that wonderful range and gorgeous backsplash in the room. Too cool!

• beachpea3
    13 years ago

Pickle2

Thanks for the info re: Dorado. Can't wait to see your countertops and what your thoughts are...

As to your hood: Perhaps once the backsplash is in and the countertops are installed you will have a better idea as to color. Right now I would say keep it the same as the walls- but you need to see what color "speaks" to you once all surfaces are complete.---IMHO anyway...

Love, Love your kitchen!

Wendy (Beachpea3)

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Oooh, this is simply beautiful!

I love your color choices, and I am one that loves the idea of the cream wall color. I think it will be absolutely delicious--especially with that backsplash!

I cannot wait to see your finished room!

• chol1024
    13 years ago

Your cabinets are beautiful! I really love the color and I think your backsplash is amazing! I can't wait to see the finished room. I have to agree that I think you should keep the color of the hood the color you choose to paint your walls. Let those cabinets shine! Soo pretty!

The "inspiration" pic that lisa a posted above, can anyone tell me the wall color? We're starting our kitchen renovation in a week and I'm still trying to decide a wall color and I love the color on that gorgous kitchen. Thanks!!!

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

Will the AGA definitely be black, or is cream an option?

• Gena Hooper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. It's no rush on the wall/hood color so it can definitely wait until all the other elements are up.

Yep, the Aga is definitely black. She's currently living in the basement til the plumber decides to plumb the gas line.

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Glad to help.

I understand why kitchendetective asked about the color of your range since I wondered the same thing. But if you plan to oil your soapstone, then I think the black AGA and the SS will tie in quite nicely together.

I can't wait to see more pics of your kitchen!

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource