Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newquahog

Chimney style hood, but must vent to the side

quahog
9 years ago

I am hoping for some thoughts on a range hood issue.

We just bought a house, and one downside is a cheapo undercabinet recirculating hood.

We want a real exhaust hood. 30 inch, 400-600cfm range.

We were hoping to do the whole project for $1200 or less.

Venting: has to be to the *side*. The stove is in a corner. The back of the stove is against an interior wall with plumbing and electrical. Roof would be tough, as the stove is right below the main bath -- immediately under the toilet. To the right of the stove is an exterior wall. We figured do a 90 deg bend in the cabinet, then out the wall.

Problem: cabinet over stove is too low. Cooktop to cabinet bottom is only 22", so a decent hood would be 16" or less above the stove!

Clearly cabinet as-is has to go.

Thoughts:

Undercabinet mounting out, unless we demolish existing and then install a shortie cabinet up high. Wouldn't match and would be building a cabinet just to hold a duct, which seems silly.

So, wall mounted hood.

Option 1 a chimney that turns 90 deg just above the hood and then runs _horizontally_ across the back wall a few feet and out the side wall to the exterior. The physics seem fine, but wouldn't it look really strange? A 'chimney style' hood with an exposed chimney that fell over, lol?

Option 2 is duct up into the crawl space between the floors, then a hidden 90 deg bend and duct work through crawl space to the exterior. Looks better, but I would imagine way more expensive to install.

Option 3 do a 90 degree bend along the wall, but hide somehow, like a stainless steel panel to enclose the whole over-hood space.

Any suggestions?

Comments (7)

• cawaps
    9 years ago

What about a wall hood where the duct cover is the full width of the range, like this:

I've got a similar issue in my house, so I've given this some thought.

• huango
    9 years ago

We did option 2, also because of the lack of height.
    Our reno took the walls/ceiling to the studs, so it wasn't difficult to put in the ducts.

Should work fine w/ 400-600 cfm.

My 42"wide 1100cfm hood needed larger ducts (?10"), but I had to reduce it to 8" to fit between the flooring crawl space.

sorry for bad picture.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

A soffit over the other cabinets would probably be less noticeable that a metal chimney going horizontally unless you are going for an industrial look.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Is feisty68 doing something like this? I'll have to pull up her thread and see.

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

Not sure if I can explain this clearly enough. Let me know if I didn't.

t was wondering if you could vent as far back as possible and then make the turn and out.
    Install a panel parallel with the front of the stove as far back as possible that conceals the vents. Add a couple shelves in front of it that can be removed if access is needed.
    Use the shelves for decorative objects or even, perhaps, as a bookcase area for seldom used books. It will hold a lot, be fairly protected from kitchen grease, and might look really interesting.

If you post a photograph of the corner, I may be able to photoshop an image for you if you need/want it.

Edited to add:
    I reread your post. I thought I read your range was in the corner. Not so. So what I was envisioning really doesn't apply. You could, of course still do the shelves, I guess, but you won't have as much space to play with as I thought.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 14:04

• quahog
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, all, this is useful:

cawaps: full-width duct cover, that'd be perfect! I imagined my contractor rigging something, but of course it makes sense they make hoods that come with such a cover built in.

huango and palimpest: the straight regular chimney does look nice, and if space/construction allows that'd be great. In our case it's not a full reno, though just the hood, so if breaking into the ceiling adds much $$$ that might not be worth it. But if it isn't a big deal for the contractor, we'll do it

bellsmom: I get what you're saying, and yes, that would work too if for whatever reason a hood with full-width cover isn't a good option. And it would give us a bit of storage, too.

Problem #2 that just ocurred to me is the side wall exhaust would come out immediately under our retractable deck awning. Hot exhaust under vinyl (or whatever it is) might not be a good idea, or at the least it could trap the smoke right there by the patio door. Hmm.

If our fridge and stove were swapped this could work. In the fridge location, the stove would back to an exterior wall with no utilities or external obstructions, and the little over-fridge cabinet would be the right height for an u/c hood. Would have to remove the over-stove cabinet to make room for fridge, but no big loss. But, this would mean running a new gas line and a new water line (ice maker), and leave the stove closer to the sink than we'd like.

Oh, how quickly it all snowballs!

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Does anyone recall a fairly recent post with a 24" Wolf range and an exposed asymmetrical duct? I liked what they did. Perhaps too industrial for you, but I am used to exposed ducts because of all the converted old farmhouses here. I have some of my own.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 12:56