Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bianca4325_gw

Backsplash help- to go w/Typhoon Bordeaux granite

bianca4325
10 years ago

I'm stumped on this BS. I *LOVE* my granite and want a backsplash that won't compete with it. Anyone have any suggestions? My cabinets are a medium cherry, tan travertine tile floor, SS appliances and grey silgranite sink. Walls are BM Revere Pewter, but I'm not taking them too much into account as that color will probably change in a few years.

I love the look of subway tiles (smaller, brick set) and love glass mosaic. I'm wondering if I could combine the two. Maybe cream subway on the top and bottom with about 4 inches of a beautiful glass mosaic in the middle? Sound weird? Any suggestions?

Comments (26)

• bianca4325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Island

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Bianca
    That is pretty much what I did except I used square tiles on the bottom, then a couple rows of accent tiles and then a diamond pattern.
    If you go hunt for a2gemini final kitchen reveal- you can see it - later I will try to post :-)
    Love what I am seeing so far!

• ellendi
    10 years ago

I agree with a2gemini , (as usual). A cream tile that goes with the light color in the granite.
    That way it will be neutral and not clash with your floor.

• bianca4325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the help, both of you! A2Gemini, I did a search for your kitchen and came up empty handed. :( Nothing at all. If you can post the link, that would be fabulous. I appreciate the help!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I fell in love with margieb2's kitchen and wish I'd seen it before I did mine as I love hers so much. I esp like the tile backsplash which blends with subtle colors taken from the granite...it keeps it from looking too busy, but it looks so rich and I love the lustre.

Maybe in 20 yrs when it will need a redo....

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen backsplash

• sandesurf
    10 years ago

Hi Blanca4325!
    I could, and have, written the same post! It's been 2 1/2 years without BS, for our TB! (in my defense, it's in our vacation/retirement home, so I don't "live" with it yet.)
    I'll be watching to see what you go with! Good luck!
    I'm in search of a plain colored cream tile. I came very close to using a glass/travertine mosaic until someone on here showed me a photoshop of it!
    Good luck!

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

We went with a travertine tile with our Crema Bordeaux. It may work as well with Typhoon Bordeaux. The only accent that we went with was the copper switch plate covers. We had considered other tiles and accents, but we really did not want to detract from the granite.

• akcorcoran
    10 years ago

Hi!

We have Typhoon Bordeaux Green and went with a travertine as well, but honed so it has sort of a buttery finish. The color is called "Noce."

Then I used a glass tile for an accent but it's not necessary if you are looking for more of an uninterrupted look.

The same goes with the different angles for the tiles (horizontal against the granite, diagonal above the border) - I like that differentiation because I have a painted cabinet.

A lot of people have moved away from travertine for a subway or more modern glass/glazed tile but I really wanted a warm, cozy area that sort of envelopes you. And, I feel like the Typhoon is more of an "old world" look than others. We have a 1917 colonial so I wanted it to look classic - it's obviously updated, but it's warm and the cream cabinets are glazed to give it more depth.

Anyway, I can look up the name if interested- there was a lighter color too. My granite looks darker than it actually is b/c of the lighting but I think you get the idea!

Here's a few pics - good luck!

Alexa

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

We had crema bordeaux countertops in our old kitchen, bamboo floors and dark cherry cabinets. We used travertine in mixed sizes (versailles pattern), with random ones of the 2" x 2" tiles replaced with glass tiles. We always loved that backsplash. (Now I'm going to try to attach a picture)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I just picked up a sample board from my tile store. I fell in love with the Durango tumbled marble. I love the antique appearance of the Typhoon Bordeaux counter top and the tumbled marble seemed to be the perfect companion as it really has an old world look. I just love it!

• juleecat
    10 years ago

I also had considered Durango-was just too " gold" in our light- the crema marfil is lighter overall than Durango, and blended better with our TB.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

It is just gorgeous Jules. I love your choice. The Durango does have a bit of a gold tone though I think it will look fine. Your tile is so pretty though that I am tempted to see if the tile store has the crema marfil.

• akcorcoran
    10 years ago

Durango was one of my original choice too! I had a different glass tile and when we changed to the border, I changed to the slightly different tile look. I think it will look beautiful too. Excellent choice, and enjoy having that decision crossed off your list! :-)

• sandesurf
    10 years ago

juleecat, Love the way the marfil looks with your TB. I'm pretty sure I took a sample of that, but the color didn't look right in our kitchen. :(
    It's hard finding "just the right" color!
    The Noce looks great too!
    I'll be at our home next week, for the whole week. Maybe I'll come up with something! One can hope!...
    Good luck!

• sandesurf
    10 years ago

Well, a week out there only made it more confusing. Especially with all the different opinions from our friends and relatives, who were visiting. My school year started yesterday, so I'll only get long weekends back in my favorite kitchen, until Winter Break. I'll keep watching these threads, in hope of seeing something that might work! Good luck, Blanca! :)

• PRO
    Sylvia's Design & Consulting
    8 years ago

Hi,

I have been an interior designer for 40+ years and I believe in the KISS method - Keep It Simple Stupid. Do tumbled marble bullets in a diamond design or tumbled marble bricks. Don't pull attention from the granite.

Sylvia

Sylvia's Design and Consulting

• sandesurf
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks for advise, but I posted that over two years ago. I believe I followed your advise though! Can't seem to post a pic., but I chose a crema marfil small beveled tile, and LOVE it!

• Elizabeth Rollins
    7 years ago

gpraceman55 What did you end up going with above?! AND where did you get it?!

• sandesurf
    7 years ago

I know this is an OLD thread, but finally figured out how to post pics! :)

• dogsrus513
    6 years ago

Beautiful!

• dkruse818
    6 years ago

we love the beveled subway tile. do you know the manufacturer and what name it is?

• sandesurf
    6 years ago

So sorry. This was 4 years ago, and I can't find that info. I believe I found it on Amazon first, and then went shopping on the Internet for it. Found it locally, in Anaheim, CA. It's a Creama, marfil, beveled tile.

• Arizona99 Surprise
    6 years ago

Can you tell me what color grout you went with ?

• Cynthia Smith
    last year

We are having Typhoon Bordeaux installed next week. We are planning to use the same tile backsplash we used in our previous house because we loved it so much and had so many compliments on it. We use Tuscany Travertine subway tiles on the 12 x 12 mesh backing. The tiles are 2 x 4 and they are beveled on the edges. We used 1 full 12 x 12 from bottom of upper cabinets down, then a row of Noce Listello 4 x 12 with an antique bronze medallion and then finished with about 1/4 of a 12 x 12 piece across the bottom. The Tuscany Travertine just seems to match everything perfectly. I ordered 2 boxes from Home Depot this morning. Working with the 12 x 12 mesh pieces is soooo easy to install. I did our last kitchen myself and I had never tiled before.

• HU-639289318
    2 months ago

I know this is an old thread but we did ours three years ago and love it!