Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zargunn

kitchen cabinet recommendation in nova/dc

zargunn
9 years ago

We are looking to completely remodel our kitchen using the design shown. Any recommendations on cabinets and specific dealers in the Northern VA / DC to use? The budget is under 10K for the cabinets, and the lower the better. But we are planning on living in the house for a while, so need quality cabinets. Thanks to all!

Comments (8)

• SparklingWater
    9 years ago

I count ~twelve cabinets plus large utility and center island. Study up on cabinet construction (use search page here) and decide if you're doing face frame or frameless. Its great to put up sketches of your kitchen here, for the design guru's and interested parties to help you with.

When I was shopping, I learned to go to each cabinet manufacturer home page and look for "current specials" (sometimes hidden on lower left or right, other times prominently displayed). It's truly worth the time while there ordering up their catalog after you review their construction. A start might be MasterBrand, MasterCraft, Omega/Dynasty, Elkay. They show their products by make and general price hierarchy.

To stay in budget, you might want to wait until one of the big box stores runs their own !0% off special, which is in addition to any manufacturer special. And also check if they run a 5% credit card rebate if you make a single large purchase. These three items can add up the savings.

In terms of cabinetry in the price range you mention, you might look at Thomasville (Home Depot) and Lowe's (Shenandoah I think, or is it Diamond). JD Powers, in 2013, reported Thomasville highest on customer satisfaction.

The economy is slow right now (in spite of 2nd quarter surprise). Watch for the big box stores to run an end of summer special or early fall. Key is preparation on your end: measurements after dry wall, and knowing what you want in construction, wood, stain or color and add ons.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: JD Powers survey

• zargunn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Sparklingwater. Appreciate it!

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

Don't have a recommendation yet since we haven't picked cabinets but just wanted to say hi from another NOVA person ;)

You may want to post on DCUrban Moms on the real estate/home board.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

IKEA, especially during their sale. Haven't been to the one in Woodbridge in a long time, and depending on where you are, College Park may be closer.

• sonny_h
    9 years ago

I just finished my remodel - IKEA cabinets from Woodbridge Ikea. Cabinets were somewhere between $4-$5K, Counters were another $4K (quartz). Turned out really nice. 25 year warranty. Look/work fine for my tastes.

Here's a link to my finished kitchen

Here is a link that might be useful: Updated Kitchen pics

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Beautiful!
    Did you install the cabinets yourself, or did you use installers? If yes, may I ask whom, and whether you'd recommend them?

• sonny_h
    9 years ago

I had the cabinets installed through one of the local Ikea installation companies. The company's name was "Zee Dee Touch Designs". I would give them about a 6.5 out of 10. They knew what they were doing, but were difficult to deal with. If you go with Ikea, when you order the cabinets, ask them if you have options for other Ikea certified installers.

• zargunn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, Veinnamommy19! ;) We are moving to Vienna as well. Once you pick your cabinets, would you mind letting me know.
    Sonny_h: your kitchen is beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I would go the Ikea route in a heartbeat, but DH is opposed to white cabinets and I don't like their other colors/door styles.