Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Defected Kitchen Wall Cabinets

Posted by swfe4240 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 17:04

I received this cabinets the other day and need to know if this is a manufacture defect, or just rubbish workman ship, I have a few cabinets like this.

The cabinet is blown behind the bracket.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Defected Kitchen Wall Cabinets

I don't know what I'm looking at.

o

I see the good sized hole behind the upper part of the bracket. Has it been installed yet & who unpacked them? However it happened, I wouldn't accept them.

o

Your looking at the back of a kitchen wall cabinet, behind the bracket the drill hole has just been cut from one side chipping the back.

Also this is how the cabinets arrived. The thing is all my walk cabinets look like this. & they say it's cosmetic. But they are brand new & supposes to top quality.

o

The cabinets should have been refused at delivery. At bare minimum returned within 7 days.

o

Now I see the holes. That's crazy. Completely unacceptable.

What company is this? Tell them you want them picked up for a full refund and begin the search again. If they won't, there is a government organization for poor products. Consumer Affairs? Not sure.

What a nightmare! I would not trust anything about that company or their cabinets. I wouldn't feel safe with them hanging on the wall either.

o

Who is the manufacturer?

How thick is the cabinet back, 3MM or 1/8 would be my guess?

Can you see the damage from inside the cabinet?

o

We are looking at adjustable cabinet hangers, not very common in the states, correct?
That hole is to access the adjuster and is not structural. I'd guess it looks fine from the inside and that is blowout caused by not supporting the back when drilling. If they look good from inside the cabinet then not really an issue, just crappy work.

o

It looks like the hole, a good sized one, goes all the eay the through. I don't see how that can look good from the inside. I would not like the potential bug access to the interior either.

o

From the inside there are a little rough around the edges & MD of company sees it cosmetic after I ask for a full refund she said your can't because your in a contract. They also want a meeting so they can discuss with the manufacture with cabinets are just cosmetic. Off to see citizens advice tomorrow. Not going to give too get a full refund.

o

Of course they say it is cosmetic, that is all it is..nothing structural there.

Still doesn't make it right or acceptable....if this is one of the big Euro brands you are in for a fight that will be about impossible to win, good luck!

o

So the hole does not go all the way through? Sure looks like it.

Even if they are 'cheap' cabinets, I'm sure you paid a lot of money to them. You are not unreasonable to be shocked someone hacked holes in them! They could have at least been neat professional looking holes.

What company is this?

o

They could be "cheap" cabinets, but they could also be any number of leading Euro brands

Have seen this many times in one of the most exclusive of Euro brands....and that is a reason (many many reasons really) that I no longer use them in my projects

o

Snookums the hole is supposed to go all the way through.

o

I would think. Can't see how a hole like that can look alright from the inside.

Did you see the cabinets in a showroom beforehand? Whoever sold them to you should have forewarned. That would not sit well with most people. At least here in the States.

o

oh you meant "defective". when you said "defected", I thought maybe your cabinets had picked up and moved back to China, which is maybe what they should do :-)

o

" ... then not really an issue, just crappy work."

To me, crappy work IS an issue. Just because crappy workmanship is going to be hidden, doesn't make it a non-issue.

o

Hidden. By contents? Unacceptable solution. Who wants holes in their cabinets. Sloppy ones at that.

o

These are not the average American style cabinet, that piece of hardware sits in a steel rail and that is what holds the cabinets in place

When the cabinet is installed and you open the cabinet door there is a adjustment screw that the installer uses to adjust the cabinet up/down/in/out...that screw is then capped with a "beauty" cap, not all that much different then when the average cabinets are installed and the carpenter would use a maple or white sticker to cover his screws

The only difference is that with the system that is show by the OP and the one the average carpenter uses is that the Euro system will only have two screws in the cabinet that are in exactly the same spot....where the average cabinet could have multiple holes and not always in the same spot (think swiss cheese)

o

" ... they say it's cosmetic."

I say it's laziness. They could have taken the time and effort to prevent blowing holes in the cabinets when they installed the hardware.

" the Euro system will only have two screws in the cabinet that are in exactly the same spot"

Couldn't they have easily pre-drilled those two holes to prevent what we are seeing in the pictures?

o

Jellytoast.. You took the words out of my mouth.

The Company how supplied them is Not Just Kitchens Ideas in Surrey Uk

The Manufacturer is Gallery Furniture Systems Ltd in Eastbourne Uk

That's see what the Advice I get for The Citizens Advice

The English Dictionary Definition for cosmetic is:

Affecting only the appearance of something rather than its substance:

So under the Sales Under Goods Act 1979(amend)

The goods supplied should be of satisfactory quality:

quality of goods includes

- appearance and finish
- freedom from minor defects (such as marks or holes)
- safe to use
- in good working order
- durability

I might have got them by the balls.

o

Using "It's only cosmetic" as an excuse is ridiculous. When buying new cabinets, most (if not all) customers care just as much about cosmetics as they do structural soundness.

Good luck in your dealings with you supplier, swfe4240.

o

I have been to Citizens Advice & got passed to there Consumer helpline & they have instructed my to wright a formal letter & ask for an independent survey to be done, at there expenses. Also send a claim in to my credit card company under Sect 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. To see if they will give me a refund. It worth a try

o

Some more pictures.

o

Another picture

o

Agree with Jackuvall.

If it looks good from the inside, I wouldn't worry about it....but the other pics do look pretty shoddy.

This type of J-track hanging system is very uncommon....but nice for installers.

o

Do not accept anything that you are unhappy with. If you let it go now, you will think about it every time you use the cabinets.... Which is often, I would imagine. It might take some time and energy, but it will probably be worth it.

For this kitchen we had to redo and ship two trim pieces that were damaged in the initial shipment. In the end we were happy with our product and the home owners are still extremely satisfied. There was no debate from us about sending out the new pieces.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dendra Doors

o

This is the inside picture of the first picture

o

The worst thing is dont trust this company enough anymore to install my kitchen, if there quality control could not stop this

o

Another Picture

o

Does anyone have a picture of one of these installed, with the interior rail covering these holes?

o

My pre-reno kitchen and laundry room cabinets hung on rails. We reused the laundry room cabinets in our garage. The rail system made it very easy to uninstall and reinstall. Here is what the inside looks like on my cabinets.

o

New picture, how May holes do you have to drill to get in right place

o

Rookie mishap, or just lazy

Also no photo of fitted cabinets

This post was edited by swfe4240 on Wed, Sep 3, 14 at 13:12

o

Had a visit from the manufacturer. He stated that's how they are made.

o

The interior photo looks fine, especially as the OP said it gets covered with a plastic cap. It looks like a nice clean hole from the front.

The back of the hole is blown out, but doesn't show so it really doesn't matter.

o

It comes down to this, why should I have have to pay for something that's a due to the manufacturer not get getting there act together, & getting away with daylight robbery. If you pay for quality you expect quality.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here