Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annkh_nd

Tomorrow is the big day!

annkh_nd
10 years ago

It's installation day at last!

I called the cabinetmaker this morning, to see if there was anything I needed to know. He told me the install crew was out of town today, and wouldn't be loading the truck until morning. Dan the Cabinet Man called me a few minutes ago, and we had the following conversation:

Dan: things have changed sine I talked to you earlier.
Ann: Uh-oh.
Dan: No, it's a good change! The crew just got back, and they are loading your cabinets as we speak.
Ann: Hooray!
Dan: They'll be there between 7:15 and 7:30. On Thursday, I'll call the Cambria fabricator, to double-check that things are still on track for templating on Friday.
Ann: Yippee!

The bad news is that I have to be at work at 6:45 - no way to get out of it. Hubby will be there for a while in the morning. The good news is that I get off work at 3, so I will get to watch them work for a little while! My son will be in charge of keeping the dog sane during the day.

I should have progress photos tomorrow night...

Comments (24)

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

So exciting annkh! You've been very patient and planned well for your kitchen. Nice that your cabinet installer is calling you with updates regularly. Great communication goes so far: it's a sign of good ownership of the job.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

So exciting! I can't wait to se the first pictures!!

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

Yippy! Good luck.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Best wishes to you! Please post pics!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I'm so excited for you! I am anxious to see progress pics.

• boone_2009
    10 years ago

I'm excited for you, too! Good luck!!

Thanks for helping me despite your own preoccupation with your new kitchen-to-be - much appreciated!

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Hooray! Very exciting! The day at work is going to feel like it's going on f-o-r-e-v-e-r, I bet.

Can't wait to see pictures...we DO get a sneak peek, right?

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Hooray! Very exciting! The day at work is going to feel like it's going on f-o-r-e-v-e-r, I bet.

Can't wait to see pictures...we DO get a sneak peek, right?

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

How exciting for you! Looking forward to seeing the sneak peak. We just got our construction schedule and looks like we will be starting in a couple of weeks! Eek! Good luck with everything.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

[cough] [cough]
    I feel a fever coming on.
    One that could rage through the population, particularly that at work.
    One that would require you to stay home and protect the installers.
    One that would cause death and destruction if you weren't there.

I wouldn't leave for the day for any amount of money in the world. I am excited for you, but scared for you, too, since you can't be there.
    Is your DH TKO?
    Does he know all the studying you've been doing?
    Is he picky? Don't let him sign off on anything without you there to review.
    Look what happens when someone here can't be home and someone else is left in charge, or a contractor is left to their own decisions. [SCREAM]

Sorry. I feel a fever coming on.

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

dupe

This post was edited by ck_squared on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 10:56

• annkh_nd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

CEFreeman, if I had a normal job, I would have bailed out. Unfortunately, I'm indispensable, at least some of the time. I work for a research facility that operates pilot-scale coal gasification systems, and there are only a few of us that know how to operate them. If I don't show up (especially at the last minute), someone has to cover for me - probably the graveyard shift guy has to stay an extra 4 hours, and the afternoon shift guy has to come in 4 hours early. Either way, it would stink for them - and I like the guys I work with. So I'm stuck! If it was a week when I'm in my office, instead of an operations week, there's no way I'd leave.

DH is definitely not TKO. He was home when the crew arrived this morning, and he actually went to work 20 minutes later! Pitiful, isn't it?

It was a loooong day at work. I felt like I'd been there for 12 hours at least, and it was only noon! I have complete faith in my cabinet maker and his crew - I have heard nothing but good things about them. If there are problems, I am confident that Dan the Cabinet Man will make them right.

When I got home this afternoon, all of the cabinets were in, and they were busy putting on doors. Dan told the installer (Jeff) that I wanted to play around with pull placement, so they are making sure to get as many doors on as they can before they leave today.

So far there have only been two issues, and Jeff pointed them out right away. First, in the upper cabinet where the transformer goes for the UCL, they cut the hole in the back of the cabinet in the wrong place. That cabinet will get a new back. The second thing was something that none of us noticed - I'm having pullouts over the fridge, and one of them hits a pendant light fixture when fully extended. The options are to put in a smaller pullout and shorter glides, or by careful not to bump the light when we open it. I choose the latter.

They'll be working for another half hour or so today, then I'll get in and take pictures!

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

How nice your cabinet guy told you right up about two fixable issues. I can imagine your concern at work, and it's great that he's keeping that management eye on the ball for you.

Can't wait to see some photos: install in one day, haha, mine took forever.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Wonderful - Glad it mostly went fine without you. I was not around for ours either and was chomping at the bit to get home as well.
    I have one sick day in over 5 yeas, so hard to fake it when you don't know the symptoms. I had just taken a new job (same hospital) after 30 plus years and as part of the contract was no vacation even though I had zillions of vacation hours.
    Can't wait to see the pictures as well.

• annkh_nd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As promised! It's not easy to take photos, because it's a small kitchen. The kitchen opens to the dining room, so I'm taking the photos from there, mostly. The cabinet color is pretty true in the photos; the walls are showing yellow on my monitor, when they are more cream color.

Pantry cabinets - we moved the fridge 8" to the left, so the left side of the pantry is 20" deep; the right side is 12" deep. Second from the bottom on the left are file drawers. I used to have a desk in this spot (which was a huge clutter magnet), so part of this cabinet will perform desk functions, without seating.

Pullouts above the fridge:

We discovered another very fixable problem - there will be a spice rack mounted on one door of the upper to the left of the range. To accommodate the spice rack, the shelves can't be full depth on that side.

We played around and figured out where the pulls should go. I was sure I wanted to go all horizontal, but I like vertical better, not that I can try out both.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Nice! I'm chomping at the bit for my new kitchen and looking at yours makes it worse.

Now. Let's talk about your cabinets: wood and finish, etc.

They look like oak? Red or white?

• homebuyer23
    10 years ago

Looks great ankh! I'm so jealous, we've been demo'd for almost 4 weeks, and we are no where near cabinet install :-(
    Dan the Cabinet Man sounds awesome!

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Oh, how beautiful!
    I understand about the calling in. I don't do it, either. Sometimes I wish I could! But I'd tell on myself.

I just called in for the 1st time, ever. My mom's systems have failed and I'm flying up to MI tomorrow to end the support. If I weren't crying, I don't think they'd believe me because I never call in.

Your place is lovely. All the fixes sound so logical! And how nice you were able to make the choices, not coming home to find them done and not know exactly why!

I look forward to final finishes. :)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Wow Ann, your kitchen is really coming along. Your cabinets are beautiful. I will be checking for updates!!!!

• annkh_nd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Things are coming along! When I got home today I had crown molding, the doors are all on, most of the pulls are on. I'm pleased that we decided to go vertical - as much as I love the look of horizontal pulls in other kitchens, this seems right to me.

Now I'm in the living room, listening to them work. They were putting the pulls on the drawer stacks on each side of a corner - and lucky I chose pulls that didn't stick out too far. There is enough clearance - but not a lot to spare.

Minor issues - there isn't a soft-close on the trash pullout (but maybe that's on tomorrow's list). And the fronts for the file drawers are wrong - the grain on the faces is horizontal (like a drawer), but the idea was for it to look like a door. Since there is a set of drawers right next to the file drawers, I wanted them all to look alike (and I made that clear to Dan). I didn't see it until after the guys left for the day, but I assume they noticed it - which is why those were not installed today with the rest of the drawer fronts. I'm not too worried - remember, Dan is the guy that keeps telling me "I want you to be happy!"

Cambria guy comes tomorrow morning, and Dan will be here for that as well. I have a list of questions - thank, GW!

Action shot:

Here's the view from the living room. It's a split entry, so you can see the stairwell in the right foreground; the dining room is to the right. Drawers to the right of the range - whoo hoo!

Here is my blind corner - I decided to close off the corner forever, to gain drawers I'll use every day. Easy-reach corner above.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Wow - so much progress, so quickly - I can't believe you even have your hardware mounted!
    It is looking pretty darn grand!!

• annkh_nd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have found my first big mistake. With our vaulted ceilings, and cabinets going to 8 feet, over cabinet lighting would look really cool. I'm not sure what can be done after the fact, but I will ask the electrician when he comes back to do the undercabs.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Looking good Ann!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Wow, the progress is so exciting! Your pulls look terrific, great choice! After a false start on Tuesday, I'm told mine is truly getting underway this morning, I'm surprised by how nervous I am, it feels like an end of term exam day!