Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abandy_gw

Island ledge query

abandy
9 years ago

Hello! I have checked to see if anyone has asked something similar, but couldn't find it. Your opinions are so helpful I thought I would ask. I noticed fishymom prefers a ledge, but for different reasons than why we are wondering.
We are remodeling a small kitchen and separate dining area by taking down 2 walls to open it up. The cooktop will be on an island; there is nowhere else to put it as the oven/range will become a wall oven.
I feel a little freaked out that I will be cooking with no wall in front of me, just space. I worry things will simply slide off the back onto the floor (salt pig, pepper mill POTS!). So, I suggested to our designer and my husband that we put a ledge behind the cooktop on the island, and it can double as a place to set an open cookbook, my iPad, or a glass (of wine). It's 7 1/2 inches high off the cooktop counter, and 12.5 inches deep
Hubby doesn't prefer it; he likes the smooth uncluttered look of a flat top island. He wants to know if my concern is a practical one or experiential b/c I haven't cooked on an island before,and I don't know what it's like. (I would get used to it.)
What do you think? I have attached a picture of the design.
Thanks so much for your time.

Comments (7)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

While I am not a fan of bi-level counters (peninsula or island), I also don't like cooktops on islands for the very reasons you mentioned. But, I also don't know why the "ledge" has to be so big - couldn't you just make a ledge 4" high (good place to put outlets) and 4-6" deep (more like a "wall")? just to give you some separation?

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

I have a range in my island, which I love. We made a raised panel back piece that is trimmed out, but not a ledge. It is about 5-6" high and about 1.23" thick with a cap on top. It keeps people behind the island from accidentally touching the range top. And as you say, keeps things from falling off the back. If people are going to walk behind your island and that walkway is only 27", I think that it is critical to have a raised back - 27" seems much too tight to me.
    Diane

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

I have a raised ledge behind my range, it is 8" high and 11" wide. Besides serving as a barrier to the adjacent dining area and walkway, it is a great usable landing space for staging plates to serve on, and also as a buffet for gatherings. I would not want a single level counter behind the cooktop area, unless it was two feet wide or more.

• abandy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's a good question sjhockeyfan. It's because we are using a design company that works with Ikea and the designer built the ledge out of cabinets. I am actually going to take your suggestion, power muffin, and ctycdm back to H and see what we come up with. It might be that a simple 2 inch ledge is all we need, to gain extra walking space behind it. All such great suggestions! Thank you so much

• housebuilder14
    9 years ago

what if you got a downdraft vent that you put up while your cooking - it will stop the pots from sliding toward anyone sitting on the other side.

• User
    9 years ago

You've got bigger problems than the safety zone behind the cooktop. A 27'' aisle is a complete dysfunctional dealbreaker. Building codes usually specify 36'' as the minimum, and the NBA specifies. 42'' as the minimum. You need to reevaluate the design as a whole. I'd put the range on the back wall and add a prp sink to the island instead to take dvantage of that 70% of the time spent in the kitchen doing prep. And the island needs to be much skinnier on he one end to get you the acceptable aisle.

This post was edited by hollysprings on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 21:29

• abandy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

housebuilder14, we thought about that, but I read up on the downdraft, and many people here, and on chow.com, really don't like them. H also didn't like that we would lose the space underneath. One of the main reasons for the remodel is that my kitchen has 2 cabinets; one under the sink and the other to the right of the fridge, so we are filling the new kitchen and dining with cabinets.
    Thank you hollysprings; you are correct if the 27" was a wall that would be really tight. It's actually the measurement from the edge of the new island to the edge of the pantry (which is actually an old coat closet, I think) Behind the coat closet it's 15 feet to the wall of the living room. The closest thing to the edge of the new island will be the edge of the couch 8 feet away. My poor little house is only about 950 sq. ft, 1 bath/2 bed, so everything in here is tight.
    Thank you all so much for your insight, we really appreciate it. :)