Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen under construction, not sure that I like the tile!

Posted by zarko123 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 16:56

The kitchen renovation has started and the contractor is almost done with installing the tile. Now I am not sure that I like the tile once I see it actually layered out in in the larger area! The tile is a simple light grey porcelain and the cabinets will be white (these are not in yet).

Tile looks ok, but doesn't have a "wow" factor and now I don't know if it will look right once cabinets are in. I may be overreacting but I had a hard time choosing tile and now don't seem to like what I ended up with!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen under construction, not sure that I like the tile!

It sounds lovely to me. You don't need wow on the floor because you can have wow countertops or backsplash. With anything new, you have to give yourself time to get used to it, and the grout will improve it. Do you have a picture?

o

You don't want WOW on your floor!

Don't worry yet. Your floor will contribute to the wow without BEING the wow.

(Disclaimer: In my last remodel--and I was pretty happy with it--I did white cabs on a very very nondescript gray linoleum.)

o

Anything new will look a bit shocking at first. Give it time. We all went through this with one element or another.

Also, as mentioned above by mpagmom, you really only want one true standout element between your floor, counters and backsplash. I'm certain the combination will look lovely.

o

ITA with PPs.

And fwiw, I cried (well, almost) after each stage of my kitchen remodel because it looked so different from what I was used to seeing and felt all wrong. But on almost every occasion, it was OK with me by the next day. The new kitchen may not be a masterpiece but sooooo much better than the old one. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here