Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's done and I love it!

Posted by mpagmom (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 16:55

Our house is a new build and we started moving in about 2 months ago, but I just got the last dining room shade hung last night. I've been posting pictures here and there and wasn't really planning doing a "reveal," but a couple people asked about it so here it is. If nothing else, it can show people what NOT to do. :)

I know it sounds trite, but I REALLY want to thank all of you for your help. Buehl was particularly helpful in tweaking the design. Rhome410, steph2000, breezygirl, and many others were there for me during my backsplash angst. I had already chosen my windows before I saw PPS7's kitchen, but seeing hers helped me feel comfortable with the decision. Her kitchen also inspired my island design. I can't name everyone that inspired me, but know that I appreciate your input.

I was going for a calm kitchen with easy-care contertops. My husband was going for "happy." When I told him about the sweeby test, he responded by writing this:

MY KITCHEN MISSION STATEMENT

"I want my kitchen to be tranquil, soothing, calm and happy. It should be cozy and bright, too.

"The perfect backsplash for my kitchen will not add an element of romance or whimsy but it might have a fish tile in it. Even a bear tile would be nice, as long as it's not within striking distance of the fish.

My perfect countertop will be level and divert attention from the mess my kids have made in the living room. When friends see it they will remark, 'Have you lost weight?' and 'You're looking quite dashing today!'

But most of all, my ideal kitchen will make my wife happy. Every time she sees it she'll smile at both the design and with fond memories of the process she used to create it. My ideal kitchen will perfectly match my wife's kitchen mission statement, even if it doesn't quite match mine."

Isn't he cute? I'm not sure if I have fond memories of the process - it's more of a fog. I was trying to make a million decisions about the entire house, so some details fell through the cracks. I don't know who picked out the crown moulding, but it wasn't me. I told the KD I wanted something simple, and sometime later this was installed. At least it's 10 feet off the ground! But I still smile when I see the backsplash, and I feel like the space is happy. Oh, and it works great as a kitchen. I just tested out the lunch-making, breakfast-eating, homework-finishing morning rush for the last week and it came through for me!

On to the details:

Cabinets: Locally-made Amish painted white (it's their standard white)

Countertops: Leathered Kodiak Brown granite

Backsplash: Sunflower mosaic in ming green marble from Saltillo Imports (purchased from Caledonia Tile in Indianapolis) and AKDO 3/4" x 3/4" mosaic in ming green light (it's supposed to be all light, but there seems to be dark in there)

Floors: White oak stained with Minwax Provincial and finished with satin polyurethane

Walls: Sherwin Williams Comfort Gray

Knobs and pulls: Restoration Hardware Lugarno knob in satin nickel and Restoration Hardware Asbury pull in satin nickel

Faucets: Brizo Solna (loved the hidden pullout spray) standard and bar-size

Sinks: Silgranit precis super single bowl and large bowl

Stools: West Elm rustic counter stool (thanks PPS7!)

Pendants: Kichler 2665OZ in olde bronze

Refrigerator: Samsung RF266 in platinum

Dishwashwer: Bosch SHX68R55UC in stainless

Range: GE Cafe Electric

Hood: Zephyr Breeze with baffle filters

Lighting: All-Pro 5" LED recessed lights, LED under-cabinet lights, and LED puck lights.

And here are the pictures (finally!)

Full view of kitchen

Range wall

Island

With lights on

Close-up of tile

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's done and I love it!

I love it too! It's beautiful! Congratulations!

o

Me, too!!! (and I adored your DH's mission statement!)

o

I love your husband. The kitchen's nice too. :) It strikes me as dignified in its simplicity while being pretty and, yes, happy. I didn't even notice the molding until I remembered your comment. And the counters do look nice and level. Congrats, guys. Great job.

o

Love it!!!! It is gorgeous!

o

Very nice. I love the door detail with the lower rail dividing it into two panels.
Very pretty backsplash as well!

o

one question: How tall are your upper cabinets? Mine are due to be 54" and I worry that they will be so tall they will look too skinny. Yours seem tall but not too skinny- but of course slimming on you:)I can increase the width of the header, as you did, if needed.
thanks!

o

I love your backsplash! You have accomplished your happy kitchen mission! Congrats. :)

o

I love your husband's remarks. What a Sweetheart. I think that IS a happy backsplash and it all looks lovely. Great job : )

o

It's wonderful mpag. Wishing you many years of enjoyment!

o

Your hubby is cute. The windows are FANTASTIC!!!!! The whole kitchen looks great - but those windows make me swoon.

o

I can see why you love your new kitchen!
I love the leathered Kodiac counters and the backsplash is charming.
Your layout and design look so harmonious and and calming.
Enjoy what look to be an acre of counters!

o

Awesome job! I love it! Great job - you will enjoy this kitchen for many years!!! Love that corner cabinet by the window and you even have a place for a towel!
:-)

o

Oh, absolutely lovely. A perfect foil for your svelte husband and happy wife.

You did a beautiful job.
I think the few dark tiles make the others stand out. And don't worry one bit about your crown molding. It really looks nice and I, too, had to remember to look.

Congrats!

o

I love it too! Your choice of colors is wonderful and I LOVE the backsplash tile. I would be so happy sitting (and working) in this kitchen. Congratulations!

o

How can you even cook in this kitchen? I would just lean on the counters all day staring at the tile! Really nice. Hope you find somewhere in your lovely home to put a few fish and bear tiles ;)

Enjoy!

o

Beautiful! I love the backsplash tile and the colors you've chosen. And BTW, a sense of humor is one of the most important elements for a long and happy marriage--I think your hubby is a keeper. :)

o

Drop dead gorgeous! I love love love your backsplash! ENJOY!!!

o

You have definitely accomplished your mission!

Love the BS and the pendants.

o

So pretty - just looks like a wonderful space for you to hang out with the paper, a cup of coffee, and at great husband of yours. The backsplash is beautiful.

o

Thanks for all the kind words about the kitchen and my husband. Yes, he is a keeper. He let me do just about anything I wanted to, but he did make it clear that he wanted painted cabinets (preferably white), leathered black granite, and wood floors.

p.ball2, the cabinets are 54" tall. I was going to do stacked cabinets to the ceiling at first, but then I decided I didn't want doors I couldn't reach. I drew them out to scale in photoshop (but you could use graph paper) to make sure the proportions looked right to me. I think the double panels keep them from looking too thin (although you can never be too rich or too thin...)

debrak_2008, there are plenty of fish and bears in the house. "Fish" is my husband's high school nickname and "Bear" is my childhood nickname. There is a hand-blown glass fish in the top of the cabinet and there are glass fish on the dining room table:

Glass cabinet

Dining room centerpiece

I guess I have to get some bears in there!

o

In a word: serene.

(a couple more words - love it!)

o

Great thanks for the cabinet measurements. I like seeing the 54" cabinet in a door style similar to what I am doing. My door will have the style about 1/3 of the way down as opposed to yours which is 2/3 of the way down. I like it both ways.

That backsplash is very pretty. The more I look at it the more I like it. It perfectly picks up the colors of your colored glass in the cabinets without being too flashy.

Well done enjoy it and your husband who definitely seems like a keeper:)

o

What's not to love? Beautiful, great job!

o

mpagmom~
Love your serene kitchen. I just purchased the Solna faucet & am thrilled to see the faucet set with the handle over the sink. Was there any special preparation or problems with installing this way? I want to be prepared in case my plumber says it can't be done. Thanks for posting the pics. Enjoy!

o

It looks so peaceful! I especially love the tile.

o

Beautiful!

o

Mission accomplished!

Absolutely beautiful! I love all the colors, especially the style and color of the backsplash as it ties it all together.

o

He's adorable! And the kitchen isn't bad either! :) Very pretty kitchen and I love your BS. Such pretty colors... calm and serene. Enjoy!

o

What a terrific kitchen! It's beautiful and refreshingly different. Great job.

Love the mission statments. Reminds me of my book concept, which is that couples should give each other annual preformance reviews. : )

o

I can see why you love it. It is beautiful. Your color scheme is calm and soothing and who can't be happy in that kind of atmosphere. Your backsplash tiles add just the right amount of interest and color. Congratulations on a job well done.

o

Your cabinets and backsplash are beautiful. You wanted serene, happy and bright and you accomplished your goals. I really like your space.

o

jem3953, the Solna handle can be installed in any position. I had planned to put it in front and the plumber thought that was the best way, too.

mtnrdredux, I'd be pretty frightened of performance reviews!

o

Bear,
You are a lucky woman - a beautiful kitchen (LOVE your tile) and a sweetheart for a hubby.
Enjoy!
Rabbit (my high school nickname)

o

Your husband is adorable! And the kitchen is so beautiful! Love it all!

o

Love it!

Now my turn to be inspired. Can I ask how much was your tile? I might want to use it in my dinng room.

o

It's gorgeous! Both you and your dh did a great job on it. I love that leathered granite. It is a happy kitchen, and I love your dh's mission statement. Everyone is right, he is a keeper.

o

It's so lovely! You have definitely achieved your mission, and DH is super sweet. Definitely a keeper.

I just love the backsplash. Unique, pretty, happy and still tranquil. I think you achieved your mission with the backsplash alone ;) JK, it all goes together and flows together so well.

Congrats!

o

I love your backsplash! I think you did a great job achieving your sweeby test goal!

o

So calm and serene! Great job!!
What are your kitchen and island dimensions?

Best to you and your DH

o

Your kitchen is very serene and lovely and happy, just as you wanted. Your husband is probably the best thing you'll ever have in it though. He sounds like a great guy.

o

You achieved creating a happy and beautiful space! DH sounds adorable and love the backsplash. Enjoy.

o

I'm sure you already made this connection but I thought it was neat. You have Kodiak Brown (bear) counters!

It's the personal touches that make a house a home.

o

mpagmom - WOW! Beautiful space! I am sure you smile when you walk in....and DH smiles because you are! Backsplash looks great. Enjoy!!! Can you please provide details on your window blinds?

o

mpagmom - WOW! Beautiful space! I am sure you smile when you walk in....and DH smiles because you are! Backsplash looks great. Enjoy!!! Can you please provide details on your window blinds?

o

Beautiful & Calm. Enjoy & Congratulations!

o

Very nice kitchen. Love your serene colors, nice, calm and bright!

Curious what is the cabinet on the island that the green dish towel is hanging on. Is that a trash pull out? If it is what is the other cabinet by the microwave?

Enjoy your new house!

o

Thanks again for all the kind comments! Should I tell my husband how much y'all love him?

pps7, I'm honored that you would consider my backsplash tile. I remember when you were looking for affordable tile for your hutch, and this is definitely affordable. It is $25/sq. ft. but I got a discounted price of $23/sq. ft. when I bought 16 sq. ft. It also comes in carrera if you want to stick with gray, but the ming green would bring in the color from your kitchen. I ordered samples of both from Caledonia in Indianapolis and the ming green is so much more interesting. I think I have side-by-side pictures if you are interested. By the way, the tile is thinner than standard tile and my installer had a heck of a time cutting the small pieces.

debrak_2008, I did make the kodiak brown connection at the time, but I'd forgotten about it. Thanks for reminding me!

go_figure01, the refrigerator/range wall is 13' and the window wall is 13.5'. The island is 6.25' x 4'. I could have gone a foot longer on the island, but the kitchen opens to the great room and I was trying to leave plenty of room for furniture in there. The furniture isn't there yet, but the kitchen will look a lot cozier when it is.

gardenamy, I realized last night I forgot about the window blinds. They are natural woven flat fold shades from Smith and Noble in shikoku/sienna. They filter the light but do not offer complete privacy unless you get the optional lining (which I didn't). I got the "upended" headrail so they would fit inside my window frame. If anyone orders from Smith and Noble, sign up for email promotions or search online for promotion codes first and wait until you get 40% off.

o

That is really gorgeous...I will join the chorus re:your backsplash...it is stunning! What's wrong with your crown? It looks great to me! The whole package is just a wonderful space. Kudos!

o

I love it, especially the backsplash? Isn't that the same as in Sarah's Cottage kitchen?

o

Just lovely! Fabulous BS, looks great with the granite. Excellent job, Congratulations!

o

rtwilliams, the dish towels on my island hang on 8" pulls mounted on false door fronts. The one to the left of the prep sink is the side to my 15" deep appliance cabinet.

nini804, I guess there's nothing wrong with the crown - I just would have picked something with a bit of detail instead of no detail. Thanks for the compliments. I LOVE your kitchen and wish I'd had the space for a hidden office like yours. As it is, I have my desk in the master bedroom, and if I lean back in my chair I can see my backsplash. So it's all good!

Good eye, chardie, I did steal the backsplash from Sarah's cottage kitchen. Back in about October I was ready to design the whole kitchen around it, but then I thought it might be too country (for me) and too expensive. I was fairly set to do something totally different with a mix of carrera tiles (based on another Sarah backsplash), but I couldn't commit. Carrera is so variable I was afraid I wouldn't like it. I finally called to get pricing and samples of the sunflower mosaic. Once they saw it, my husband and kids wouldn't consider anything else. Even my 14-year-old son said he loved all the regular polygons and would spend all morning staring at it. I'll admit they were all pretty tired of looking at tile at that point and probably conspired to ooh and aah over the next tile that walked in the house...

o

Beautiful! I love the backsplash. Everything looks so nice together!

o

Your kitchen is very calming and so pleasant! You will surely enjoy all the counter space and lovely light. Congratulations on a job well done!

o

Mpagmom! Your reveal is wonderful! What an inviting, yet classy, kitchen you created. As everyone has commented, your cabinets, counter and backsplash are all so great. Those dining room lights are so fun - they drew my eye the first time I saw them. They are just so unique and have a great look. Are you loving them?

The hutch and bench in the DR are also great. The shades add great warmth and texture and having them on the DR and kitchen really both integrates the space.

I really appreciate being able to see another kitchen with uppers on one wall and one wall without. As you know, that's something I'm considering for my house, though on opposite walls as you.

What are you storing in your ceiling to counter cabinet, including the shelf, if I can be nosy?

As regarding DH.... his mission statement is great! You certainly had me at that. But then you go on to add that one of his few stipulations was wanting painted cabinets? How rare is that? He was insisting on stained? I'm in awe! lol

I have to find a new procrastination buddy... but it's all good. Congratulations! (Are you going to show us the mini-kitchen in the basement soon?)

o

Absolutely beautiful!! And, your husband sounds wonderful.

o

Steph2000, I am so glad you came out of your lurk-dom to post, and thanks so much for your sweet comments. I can still be your procrastination buddy. I have so, so many things I don't want to do (still unpacking).

I love my DR lights, but I seem to be the only one. Most people think they look like war weapons, a ball and chain, or Christmas ornaments. Not everyone can appreciate greatness, I guess. My DR hutch is my favorite piece of furniture ever. I designed the DR windows around them and realized shortly before drywall that they hadn't put the windows far enough apart. They moved one, so disaster was averted. The whole room just makes me happy. I have an indoor-outdoor rug that I was skeptical about, but it is performing well and the microfiber fabric on the chair cushions is standing up to my messy son better than expected. I had all that furniture at my old house, but the kids weren't using it.

I was nervous about uppers on one wall only. I was afraid it would be top-heavy, but the gi-normous window helps balance it, I think.

The "covered" part of the counter cabinet has my husband's coffee maker (used for 5 minutes a day max), coffee mugs, wine (one or two bottles max) and a few every-day wine glasses. The drawer has a big stack of printed-out recipes (they're the ones I use most often), a book with clipped recipes that has seen better days, and some food storage bags. Smaller sandwich and snack bags live under the MW with my other lunch-packing supplies. Here are a couple pics:

Hidden coffee maker

Drawer under coffee maker

I just noticed I'm letting my son's red and white mug live in my cabinet even though it doesn't "go." He won it for coming in first in his age group in a 5K, so I'll let it stay (for a while).

I haven't gotten to the mini-kitchen in the basement yet, but I will show it when I get it done. I wanted to buy Ikea cabinets and have my 11-year-old daughter assemble them all before she started back to school, but now it's too late. I'm pretty sure the cabinets will be white and I have a left-over piece from my granite being held so I won't have to search again. The appliances are black because I already had them. And I get to do another backsplash....

o

I love it too! And I love that you even thought to have a mission statement for your kitchen. We just bought a 1939 house and have some tweaks we plan to make to our kitchen and I LOVE the idea of having an overall vision and mission for it! Enjoy it. I don't know how you could not.

o

Everything they said! Wow, beautiful.
Bright, clean, fresh, calm, classic and timeless.
That space would be a joy to spend time in. I too love the cabinet rail that lines up with your range hood and I think the way your upper cabs connect to the wall and molding above looks great. Anything more would be too much,distracting perhaps. IMO.

A couple of questions if you don't mind...

Is your fride counter depth or full depth disguised by a deeper cabinet surround? I like the way it looks.

Also were your custom cabs painted elsewhere before installed or painted in place? I want to redo my kitchen with white cabs and it seems every designer or installer has a different method and I don't know what's best.

Thanks.

o

Island, good question on the refrigerator. It is full-depth, and I stole 6" from the mudroom behind it so it wouldn't stick out. The wall behind it has shelves, so I made them 10" deep where the refrigerator is and 16" deep where it isn't. I looked at counter depth, but I know I couldn't live with those small fruit and vegetable bins! My cabinets were painted before they were delivered. I'm not sure if that's best, but that's how it was!

o

Ahhhhhhhh....so nice. Love it. I think your backsplash is amazing.

o

mpagmom....
Wow, I so love your backsplash! The whole kitchen is great, but the backplash is definitely showing its star power.

You are inspiring me at just the right time, as the kids go back to school. I have an "All but the backsplash" (ABBS) although I want to do the backplash and my bathroom tile at the same time, so it does get even more complicated.

Like you, I also didn't like the interior space of the shallow refrigerators. It was an easy luxury to cross off my list. What a great example of sinking yours into the room/space behind.

Good luck with your mini-kitchen.

o

Thanks Mpagmom. Great idea; looks terrific. Oh to have some space behind to set in my fridge, but alas that's where my already too narrow dining room lives. I have a counter depth s by s frige now and hate it for many reasons including the one you mentioned.

o

Really lovely! Mission accomplished. You'll enjoy this so much.
Lynn

o

What a lovely kitchen!! And what a great hubby you have!! Everything is my favorite - but especially the double panel cabinets. I had similar ones in an old house and they were my favorite part of the kitchen. Yours are beautiful and the perfect touch. And of course the backsplash, counters, window blinds, floor - how open it is to the other rooms...I would be thrilled to have such a lovely house!

Is your dining room hutch custom? I'd love to find a piece as beautiful as yours. And when you say your cabinets were locally made...where's locally?

o

You should love it, it's beautiful! I hope you have many, many wonderful years in your new home!

o

Library_girl, I bought the hutch about 10 years ago, but I checked the website and they still carry it (or one similar). I'll link it below. I'm not sure if it's the same because mine is walnut and the website description says it is cherry. Probably they put the wrong description on there because the name has walnut in it. I live in SW Ohio.

Here is a link that might be useful: Walnut dining cabinet

o

Ooooo! So pretty! I wish I would have seen yours and Sarah's cottage before I picked out my backsplash! My fave colors are blue/green like i see in your glass cab and I was trying to find a way to bring the ming green into the the kitchen or mudroom. If I saw your backsplash - you would be my inspiration :) But i've already picked out my backsplash - boo hoo...

If you have time, can you post some closeups of your leathered counter?

Anyhoo - your kitchen is so pretty!

o

So beautiful, I just love it! You are now one of my inspiration kitchens!

o

It's beautiful! What is the length of the room from the range wall to the windows in the dining area? We are planning a similar space and yours looks nice and spacious, thanks!

o

What a beautiful, warm and inviting space. The combinations are perfect- it's clean and contemporary and has a lived in (in a good way) feel. Add me to the list of those in love with your backsplash.
What a wonderful job!!

(and don't mind me while I teared up at reading your hubby's mission statement. what a guy!) I hope you and your family enjoy your new beautiful space for many years to come.

o

Looks fantastic! Love it! Enjoy it each and every day!

o

Sorry to be slow to respond to questions - I was out all day and night yesterday.

niblickchick, I tried to take some close-ups of the granite, but I'm not sure how successful I was. It's hard to capture. The edges of my countertop are honed, and honed does not look any different to me than the leathered. The texture you see is more from the layers of mica than the finish. The feel is different - the honed feels absolutely smooth and the leathered doesn't. I've seen people say leathered isn't good for baking because it isn't smooth, but that isn't true (in my case at least). You can write on it or bake on it the same as a smooth surface - the texture is very subtle. Here is a close-up if it helps:

Granite close-up

snbtwins, the wall-to-wall measurement is nearly 28' (13.5' for the kitchen and 14.5' for the dining room). My table is 6' long, but it has 2 leaves that pull out of the ends to make it 11' long when fully extended. I usually have 8' between the table edge and island edge, and I still have 5.5' when the end leaf is pulled out. Here is a better picture to show the space between. It doesn't look like the table is centered lengthwise (to me), but that's an illusion. When extended, the table goes almost to the edge of the rug on both sides.

Dining room

labbie, yes he is a great guy. I probably don't appreciate him as much as I should.

o

I wish I'd put together a formal mission statement before we started out kitchen. I DO have a mantra--stolen, of course--
Form Follows Function. (My kitchen is fairly small--12' x 13.5'--and I cook three meals a day. It's gotta WORK.)

Your husband's mission statement? AWESOME. Your kitchen? GORGEOUS. You done good. (I hope mine comes out looking half as wonderful!)

o

I wish I'd put together a formal mission statement before we started out kitchen. I DO have a mantra--stolen, of course--
Form Follows Function. (My kitchen is fairly small--12' x 13.5'--and I cook three meals a day. It's gotta WORK.)

Your husband's mission statement? AWESOME. Your kitchen? GORGEOUS. You done good. (I hope mine comes out looking half as wonderful!)

o

Beautiful kitchen! I am just designing and shopping for mine.Trying to visualize how all the different elements and constraints are going to give way to a coordinated whole. Yours has come together amazingly. Like the idea of a mission statement. Hope you are enjoying!

o

BEAUTIFUL! GREAT JOB- ENJOY!

o

That is so gorgeous! Truly, what a fresh and serene space - it really is wonderful. I LOVE your tile - I could just look at that forever. And I also love the fixtures over your dining table - they are really neat and different. Enjoy your lovely, lovely new space.

o

laurainlincoln, I love your kitchen, too. Madre perla one of my all-time favorites. I'm glad you like the DR pendants. My younger daughters were making fun of them today, but after I pointed out what I liked about them, they agreed that they have their good points.

o

Gorgeous! So where does one get those Amish white cabinets? Thanks for posting the dimensions and all the other wonderful details.

So I have one or two more detail question - what is the dimension between the counter top and cabinets on either side of the stove?

Everything looks proportionaly perfect - and I'm trying to figure out the dimension of the crown and the ceiling height.

This is just stunning.

o

Ok... one more detail quesiton - what is to the right of your refrigerator? Is there a wall there - if so any issues with opening the door?

o

Ok... one more detail quesiton - what is to the right of your refrigerator? Is there a wall there - if so any issues with opening the door?

o

I'll stop saying one more .. because I keep coming back to look at this kitchen and I think of something else. What are the width dimensions of the upper cabinets across the stove/refrigerator wall. And window sizes?

I started perusing GW kitchens tonight specifically to look at L shaped kitchens with stove/frig on one wall and sink with big windows on the other ... and there was your kitchen with very similar dimensions to the design I am working on. Because it is design for new construction there is time to adjust so I am trying to understand things like what is needed for cabinet dimensions, and around the refrigerator.

Thanks so much!

o

miruca, I'm very happy to answer all your questions, and you can feel free to email me if you have more. I spent at least 9 months on my design. New construction is great because there are few constraints, but it also makes it hard to narrow down the choices. The L with island works great for me. Here's the design I started out with, and I would have hated it:

Photobucket

I would not have liked how closed in this design was, but it took me a while to get used the idea of totally opening up the great room. It also took me a long time to let go of the idea of a pantry cabinet in the kitchen. I have a lot of storage space in the mudroom just behind the kitchen, so I haven't missed the pantry. I put most of my food in the 12" pullout and the wall cabinet to the left of the range, so it's actually handier there than in a pantry. As you can see, I started with a 3-foot window, then I went to 4 feet, then 5, then 7, and finally ended up with 8. It's a standard size Andersen (I think it's the 400 series) window and it is about 8 feet wide by 5 feet high. There is about 4.5" between the granite and window. Many prefer to put the window exactly at counter height, but I went a little higher to make it match the height of other windows in the room.

My ceilings are just about 10 feet high. I have the standard 18" between the countertop and cabinets, the cabinets are 54" high, and there is about 1 foot above the cabinets for the trim piece and crown.

There is nothing special about Amish made cabinets - any custom cabinet maker can make the same thing. I went for these because they were the best construction and value at the kitchen store my builder sent me to. They also allowed me to design the wall cabinets exactly the way I wanted them. The base cabinets are much more standard, but one on the island is 15" deep to fit my appliances better.

To the right of my refrigerator is a wall that extends only as far as the cabinet above the refrigerator, so there is no issue with opening the door. The trim board to the left of the refrigerator is 1.5" wide, and the cabinet above the refrigerator is 38" wide (really a 36" cabinet with 2" of filler that was trimmed onsite to fit the space exactly). I have about an inch to spare on each side, but there is a baseboard on the wall so it is pretty tight at the bottom. I left 72" in height for the refrigerator - more than I need now, but I might need it in the future. Here is an almost-accurate layout of the base cabinets.

Photobucket

I switched it to a 12" pullout and a 6" tray cabinet. The 6" tray cabinet is surprisingly useful for its size:

I went with full overlay cabinets on the base cabinets because it saved me 10% and allowed me to do things like an 6" wide tray cabinet and a 12" wide trash pullout. I went with inset on the wall cabinets because I like the look better. Those cabinets are 13" deep (standard for our cabinet maker) and it makes up for the lost space of the inset door. Inset cabinets cost me 10% more, so I used them sparingly.

This is a picture I drew in photoshop to help me get the proportions right. It's what I gave to the kitchen designer so he'd know exactly what I wanted. The wall cabinet dimensions are accurate on here, but I switched to a 3-drawer stack on the base cabinet next to the refrigerator.

Photobucket

Hope this helps. Like I said, feel free to ask more questions or email me. When you get a plan, post it on the forum and you'll get a lot of good feedback. Good luck!

o

gorgeous! i love the backsplashes!!

o

Thanks pipdog! I love, love, love your kitchen. I tried to find madre perla quartzite with no success and your backsplash is beautiful with it. In the end, my dark granite works great because I've always wanted the gray/blue-green walls.

o

Beautiful! I love how the backsplash turned out. Good decision.

Is it me, or is Mr Mpagmom looking quite fit and handsome today? --He sure seems to have a great sense of humor.

So clean, so neat, so bright. Just what the mission statement ordered. Enjoy! (And thanks again for letting me know your pics were up.)

o

Mpagmom, can we see a pic of your 12" trash pullout in action, please ?

o

You're too funny rhome410. And you're right - Mr. Mpagmom is looking especially dashing, and he does have quite the sense of humor.

angela12345, here is the 12" trash pullout in action. It has a shelf above and room behind it for a few supplies.

Photobucket

o

Lovely! Enjoy!

o

Mpagmom, I've seen the pics of your kitchen before and loved them, but had nothing innovative to say ... then I read your husbands words: wow! As much as I like your kitchen -- and I do, very much -- it's your dh's words that elevate it to serenity. It's so lovely I'll bet it even helps him feel more tolerant of the mess his kids made.

Imagine that -- kitchen as marital inspiration. I am so impressed.

o

I keep coming back to this lovely space. One more Q. Can you please tell me about your floors, brand color, etc? Love them too. Thanks.

o

I just love your kitchen. It is so well thought out and lovely !! I don't know how I missed the pic before, but I especially love your counter cabinet.

So in the 12" trash pullout, that is an 8 gal trash can ? So smart of you to put one next to each sink !! Would you mind also sharing your 18" trash recycling cabinet in action ? Sorry to be so trashy. : )

o

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I hope you won't mind being sincerely flattered as I proceed with my kitchen renovation. While I pore over the photos of your kitchen, I'm learning tons about what I want for my kitchen (although, sadly, nothing about what I don't want). Wall of windows? Check. White Amish cabinets? Check. Saltillo Sunflower Ming backsplash? Check. Kodiak Brown Leathered counters? Check. Feeling of peace and serenity? Double check. What a beautifully balanced and inviting space.

o

aliris, I never thought of "kitchen as marital inspiration" before, but if it gets me a nice kitchen, I'm all for it!

island, the floor is everyday 2-1/4" white oak stained Minwax Provincial with a satin polyurethane. It was funny when I stopped by to talk to the floor finishers about the stain. I told them I wanted a medium brown with no red in it and they put down a little bit of the Provincial stain to show me how it would look. My 11-year-old was there and told me that was good, so I said we'd go with that because I wasn't very picky. My builder's son was there, and I think he about died when I said I wasn't very picky - I guess his experience was that I was extremely particular. The flooring guys wanted to hire my daughter to choose stain on all their jobs. By the way, we originally wanted wider planks, but the flooring guys told us the 2-1/4" would be less likely yo buckle. Also, getting the site-finished floor cost about exactly the same for us as moderately-priced pre-finished floor. Was that the longest answer ever??

Thanks angela, and I just love to talk trash. The trash can in the 12" pullout is about 9"Wx14"Dx17.5"H. Just for you I did math and the measurements come out to about 9 gallons. It's the same size as the cans in the 18" trash/recycling pullout:

Photobucket

I'm glad you like the counter cabinet - it's my favorite.

justmakeit - thanks for the compliment, and imitate away! Any white shaker style cabinets and any textured black granite would look pretty much the same as mine. If I were choosing granite to go specifically with the backsplash I might have chosen brushed atlantic black instead of kodiak brown. As it is, I chose the granite first and I thought the kodiak brown would work well with the oil-rubbed bronze light fixtures I have throughout the house. I highly recommend a wall of windows if you can spare the cabinet space. Windows are a lot less expensive than cabinets and you can't beat the natural light!

o

Thanks for the pics !! I love how the cutouts are exactly perfect for the cans to sit in them.

o

looks amazing, special touches are that amazing backspash which looks great with the counters. Love the Hicks pendants over the table.love the touches of blue/green- the Ballard rug would look great! Tks, Michelle

o

thanks for posting the up-close pic of the granite - it's so beautiful! I've been reading multiple posts regarding leathered and antiqued granite - can you say that your granite does NOT show fingerprints?

mpagmom - Thanks for also posting the 6" tray cabinet - that is extremely helpful. I had to switch my 12" tray 9" and without seeing the cabinet differences in person, you start to wonder what you'll miss when you take out the 3"... so it's good to see you can store a lot in that 6" tray!

Your medium brown floors (with no red!) are beautiful. it sounds like the desscription I have told our builder. Can you point out which of your previous pictures show the brown in its true shade?

thank you!

o

You're welcome angela!

Thanks, Michelle. I can't wait to see your Circa lighting and backsplash!

niblickchick, the granite doesn't show fingerprints. Water rings will show if you look at them at the right angle (from any distance you don't see them), but they wipe away easily with a damp cloth. If you had oily or greasy hands I guess you could make a print show. I tried it with a wet finger and it disappeared in about a minute.

My 6" tray cabinet is 4.5" wide inside (because the cabinet sides are each .75" thick) and it can hold 4 cutting boards, 3 cookie sheets and 3 cooling racks. I keep any other cookie sheets, etc. that I have above the refrigerator, but that's more than enough for everyday use. Mine has more space because I went with frameless cabinets. If you have framed cabinets you'll have a more narrow opening, but the same space inside.

Most of the pictures make the floor look darker than it is. If you look at the 3rd picture, the area to the left of the island is pretty close. Perhaps the closest are the two pictures I posted of my trash pullouts (the last two I posted).

o

mpagmom - thanks for the extra information and plans. It's perfect - and I've been busy "replicating" it in our design :). I have one issue I am still playing with due to the clearance needed to open the refrigerator door.

So far - your kitchen and dekeoboe's bathroom (based a summerfield's design) are incorporated into the house design - if I keep reading these forums the whole house may end up a compilation of GW's designs.

Thanks again ...!

o

ABsolutely gorgeous kitchen! You did an amazing job designing it - it's clearly so well-thought out. Congrats!

I 2nd the rec on Smith and Noble emails - LOVE this source, I get almost everything from them, WITH the 30 or 40% discounts. I find the trick is being 100% ready with selections and measurements so that I can order when the email offer arrives.

Enjoy your gorgeous space! And your hubby :-)

o

Really gorgeous, enjoy every minute in there.

o

Absolutely lovely, and that is one of the prettiest backsplashes I have ever seen!

o

AHHHHH....I love it!!!!!!!!

o

Really gorgeous!! It looks very serene!

o

Really gorgeous!! It looks very serene!

o

I am so glad you love it! It is gorgeous ! I especially LOVE the backsplash.
You must get incredible light. Great job!

o

Wow.

By any chance, do you have a twin brother who is single?

Even a... fraternal twin brother?

o

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful kitchen! I'm just planning mine now, but it's remarkably similar to yours! Even down to the wall cabinets on the range wall and not the sink wall. I'm still debating the prepsink, so I'm wondering how you like it so far??
And your backsplash is just gorgeous!!
I, too, have those antiqued brownish light fixtures thoughout my house, so I wsn't sure how to handle it in my newly-open kitchen. Yours reinforces my belief that I can mix metals. The pendants can match my other lights,but my pulls/knobs/handles don't have to--so thanks!!
Enjoy your bright and beautiful new home!

o

miruca, I posted my kitchen to help others, and I'm really glad it has helped you! I hope you're able to solve the refrigerator door problem. Perhaps you could put a small broom cabinet or something like that on the other side.

Thank you phylhl, mabeldingeldine, taggie, heidia, houseful, and LRy511 for the kind words.

MareLuce, I assume you're asking if my husband has a twin brother. Sadly, no.

Home4all6, I am thoroughly enjoying the prep sink, but when I saw how much my builder was charging me for it I had second thoughts! I just looked it up and it was $500 for the plumbing and garbage disposal, $700 for the sink and faucet, and $150 for the electrical to the garbage disposal. It does make the kitchen function so much better though. If I didn't have it I would probably tend to do a lot of my prep work to the right of the main sink, and that's not a huge space and a bit far from the refrigerator. So for this layout, I'd say it's close to a must-have. I probably use it twice as often as the clean up sink.

I went back and forth about the light fixtures and metals. The door knobs and such throughout the house are satin nickel, but I have oil-rubbed bronze for my lamps and drapery rods so I chose bronze for my light fixtures. If the kitchen wasn't completely open to the great room and dining area I might have gone with nickel pendants because I like them better. Then again, I like the dark pendants with the dark granite. See? I'm still going back and forth!

o

thanks, mpagmom! I'm going back and forth on the prep sink myself--one day, I'm convinced I'll need to have it, then the next I'm sure I don't want it at all. I think you convinced me again! We are family of 6, with 4 little kids, so I can't imagine NOT loving it! And I asked my contractor about the cost--he said about $1000-1200 all in, so I think I'm goign to plan on it now, andgo with a smaller clean-up sink.

I'm also goign back and forth on the fixtures and finishes, but I'm not going to stress about that ust yet...all in good time :) Is your email available from here, and if so , would you mind if I emailed you a question or 2 as we get moving? Becasue your layout really is a nealay identical mirror-image of ours.
Thanks!

o

thanks, mpagmom! I'm going back and forth on the prep sink myself--one day, I'm convinced I'll need to have it, then the next I'm sure I don't want it at all. I think you convinced me again! We are family of 6, with 4 little kids, so I can't imagine NOT loving it! And I asked my contractor about the cost--he said about $1000-1200 all in, so I think I'm goign to plan on it now, andgo with a smaller clean-up sink.

I'm also goign back and forth on the fixtures and finishes, but I'm not going to stress about that ust yet...all in good time :) Is your email available from here, and if so , would you mind if I emailed you a question or 2 as we get moving? Becasue your layout really is a nealay identical mirror-image of ours.
Thanks!

o

Thanks!

o

Feel free to email me anytime, home4all6. I wouldn't go too small on the clean-up sink. I got the Silgranit super single, and it looked big at first, but now it seems just right. It's great to pile a million dirty dishes into until you have time to get to them. Good luck as you move forward.

o

mpagmom ~ What a gorgeous kitchen! I especially love your sunflower mosaic backsplash and I'm planning on using it myself. My contact at Saltillo thinks it may only comes as polished, however, yours looks honed to me. Did you have a choice between honed and polished? Also, did you choose the large format? Thanks so much!

o

Thanks for answering my questions about the floors. It's funny, I've spent so much time looking at the "exotics" Ipe, Santos mahogany, Brizilian cherry, Sapale. Wanted the natural color rather than stained, but everything has too much red or orange or is too dark. Then I come here and all the floors I love are "everyday" white oak! Never would have thought because I hate oak cabinets, too much grain, but for floors it just seems to be the perfect option for the timeless mediuum brown go with everything floor I've been looking for. Thanks for the stain and plank width info too.
Hope you're enjoying your beautiful happy kitchen!

o

Thank you, Laurajane02. I can't wait to see your backsplash! Mine is the small mosaic and it is polished. I thought I wanted honed, too, but this really doesn't seem very shiny. In the first picture I posted you can see a bit of shine, and that's about the extent of it. When I have my under-cabinet lights on, it looks matte. Are you getting the large format? I would love to see it installed. I didn't really know there were two sizes until after I got mine, but I think small is best for my small space.

Island, I looked at many of those same woods trying to find something medium brown that I liked. I hated grain, but I finally came to the same conclusion you did. It's been easy care and I even repaired a large scratch that happened before we moved in with a Minwax stain crayon or marker I got from Home Depot or Lowes. And, thank you, I am very much enjoying the kitchen.

o

This time looking at the photos, I love the toaster in white. If looks like an offspring of the cabinets rather than an appliance.

I still marvel at your backsplash. And I still wish your husband had a twin brother :-).

Are you going to put art or family photos to the left and right of the windows?

Framed in white?

o

MareLuce, I like the white toaster too. It's one I've had for years and I assumed I'd replace it with stainless, but then I thought it was cute there. I marvel at the backsplash, too. I usually HATE outlets on the backsplash (I asked if they could be low and sideways but it didn't happen) but now they blend in well enough that it doesn't matter to me. We have not hung any art in our house yet, and we have a lot of it stacked in our basement. We're going to wait until the great room is fully furnished to figure out what goes where. I was able to hang a few quilts, though. Here's my favorite in our entry wall. I have no good reason to post it, but I am anyway because I love it. I chose the design and fabrics, but I paid my sister-in-law to make it for me because I was just too busy. She did a better job than I would have anyway!

o

Mpagmom ~ Thanks for the reply. Now that I look more closely at your pictures, I can see a bit of a shine in the first photo. However, I swore you chose a honed finish based on your last photo. The size of tile you chose looks perfect for your kitchen.

I am planning to use this tile on my master bathroom floor as well, so I think I'll tape it up in my kitchen before it's installed in the bathroom to see if I want the large format or the small. I have samples of each, but it's hard to tell on such a small scale. Now that you tell me that yours is the small format, I'm definitely going to look more closely at that size.

Thanks again!

o

Laurajane02, I would love to see that tile on a bathroom floor. I cheaped out and got Daltile's octagon and dot for mine. Please share pictures!

o

Beautiful! I love hanging tapestry. While vacationing in Bruge, Belgium, I carried a tapestry on my shoulder as a present for my Mom for about half a mile.

Do you realize that tapestry flows with your backsplash? (colors, feeling)

o

Mpagmom ~ Our master bath is months away from completion but I'll show you the photos that gave me the idea. Due to my very rural location, I've managed to get wholesale pricing on Saltillo tile, so I'm using it more liberally than I normally would.

I also love your tapestry btw!

o

mpagmom! I am in awe of your kitchen. I have fond memories of a kitchen I had years ago with those very colors. It always made me smile. :)

Curious - Do you find it hard to keep the backsplash behind the cooktop clean and free of stains?

o

laurajane02, thanks for posting that bathroom. What a great inspiration picture! I'm sure your bathroom will look gorgeous.

TammyTE, I have only been in my kitchen a few months, but so far I haven't had a problem with stains. I tend to use only the front burners, so that may be why. I haven't sealed the backsplash yet, and I hope I can keep it clean until I do! Thanks, too, for the kind words about my kitchen.

o

Just wanted to say thank you so much for sharing your kitchen. We're planning to replace our uppers but reface the lowers so I have just been assuming that we'll need to do full overlay everywhere. It never occurred to me to do full overlay on the bottom and inset on top and it certainly looks great in your kitchen.

And I'm a little horrified that ANYONE would think those amazing Hicks pendants look like military artillary. They are stunning and amazing and I want them. :)

o

Thank you, wi-sailorgirl, for letting me know my kitchen is helpful to you. So many here helped me. I know some are probably horrified that I mixed full overlay and inset, but it made sense and works for me. I also mixed double-hung and casement windows in my house, but please don't tell anyone. And thank you for appreciating my Hicks pendants. I loved them from the moment I saw them and they were my one real splurge in the house (and it wasn't as big a splurge as I thought it would be because my local lighting store sold them for less than I've seen on the internet).

o

What's this? You've found the Hicks pendants for less than the price on Circa's website? If I go that direction I will have to shop around a bit. Thanks for the tip!

And your window secret is safe with me ;)

o

mpagmom, your kitchen is so beautiful. i think happy is a great word to describe it! LOVE your backsplash and your dining pendants! that would make me happy too!

o

mpagmom, count me among those using your kitchen as a template!

I love the big window above the sink. Do you find it at all inconvenient not to have an upper cabinet right above the dishwasher? It looks amazing, just wondering about its functionality. Thanks!

o

mpagmom: beautiful kitchen! There are so many things to like about it! I think I read through the entire thread from top to bottom because I wanted to know every detail re: your kitchen! We are just starting a new construction home and the kitchen has been my focus for the last 6 months and now it is almost decision time!
I have been debating whether to put my trash in the island or next to the dishwasher and my KD never mentioned the idea of using 2, so i love this idea-a smaller one for prep and a larger one for recyling or vice versa.
I am also considering doing full overlay on base cabinets and inset on uppers because the inset is at least 10% more.
One question for you: are your windows double hung or casement?

o

michoumonster, I somehow missed your comment last month, but thank you!

CamG, thank you! I used to have my dish cabinet above my DW and hated it. I couldn't reach into it well with the DW open. I put my dishes in a drawer on the other side of the sink (about a step away) and my glasses in a 12" deep cabinet in the island just opposite the dishwasher. I sacrificed seating for one person in the island to add 2 12" deep cabinets (one on each side) to take the place of some of the wall cabinets I was losing with the window. I really wanted the light from the big window so I was willing to sacrifice the upper cabinets for it.

Laura517, I know how you feel. You spend so long planning and looking at everything but when it comes to making real decisions it's so hard. I like my 2 trash cans a lot, so I'd go for it if you have room. Everyone recommended recycling in the prep area - probably closest to the refrigerator is the right place. The windows in most of my house are double hung, but I went with casement in the kitchen because double hung would be too hard to open and close. I then decided to switch to casement in my great room and one other room. In all three cases there is a larger stationary window between two smaller casement windows so it doesn't stand out that it's different. I like casement better and would have done if everywhere, but there was a cost difference to consider.

By the way, for anyone reading this whole thread, I made a mistake. My hood is the Zephyr Gust, not the Breeze. Don't know what I was thinking...

o

Love the tile on the backsplash and on the floor. Old thread but new to me : ) Gorgeous kitchen!

o

That is my favorite new-to-me backsplash. I was trying to think of its name when someone with soapstone was looking for recommendations.

I'll just remember "search for Mpagmom's backsplash!

o

I love the full overlay on base cabinets and inset on uppers which saved you money and gave you more space.

I love your happy, serene, beautiful and functional kitchen! Thank you for sharing the ideas and a close-up of your gorgeous counters!

o

lynn2006 - good eye! I didn't even notice that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here