Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finished White Kitchen Mini Reveal

Posted by WMA89 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 16:44

This forum was invaluable when we we designing and overseeing the build of our kitchen remodel. I learned so much about what makes a kitchen not only work aesthetically, but functionally as well. I love, love this new kitchen. There is a designated place for everything, which makes keeping it organized so much easier. We finished the kitchen about six months ago. The remodel turned into a bit of a nightmare and took 15 months. I've been so busy getting settled back into the house that I've neglected posting the final results.

This kitchen remodel was part of a fairly major remodel of the living areas of a late 60s brick ranch we purchased two years ago. The original kitchen was tiny, as you can see in the photos. We took down the wall between the kitchen and small family room. We also pushed a couple feet into an oversized foyer, as well as a foot into the existing dining room in order to make more space for the kitchen. The ceiling was already vaulted in the family room, but we extended this into the kitchen during the remodel. If I were to pick my two favorite things about this kitchen it would be the Corian Sea Salt countertops and the Franke Orca sink. I love, love these countertops. These are a maintenance breeze, and I love the way they feel. Many people, including my builder, were skeptical when I said I wanted Corian but were blown away with the results. I also really like having all the drawers for dishes, as well as the small drawers in the glass hutch where I store flatware. Makes unloading the dishwasher so easy! Here are some basic details:

Cabinets: Custom
Cabinet Paint: BM Simply White
Counters: Corian Sea Salt
Island top: Mahogany with dark walnut stain
Sink: Franke Orca
Fridge: Sub zero
Rangetop: Wolf
Wall oven: KitchenAid
Hood: Superior
Floors: Oak, stained with dark walnut/provincial mix

Thanks so much to everyone on the Kitchen Forum who answered my questions and shared ideas. I owe you all!
Before:
 photo oldkitchen1_zpsabd2972a.jpg
 photo oldkitchen2_zps06cd1e97.jpg
After: photo fullshotkitchen_zps399bdebb.jpg
 photo bakingcenter_zps14c84118.jpg
 photo cooktopwallclose_zps6131a4a2.jpg photo hutchkitchen_zps3abf0180.jpg photo islandclose_zpse00fe6f1.jpg photo fridgewall_zpsb4b0defc.jpg photo countertopclose_zps703f740f.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finished White Kitchen Mini Reveal

Stunning. The tile really makes the room. Great job! Enjoy your new kitchen :)

o

Wowser. This is gorgeous. I don't have time to itemize, but I love the range wall. Brilliant.

o

That wall of tile is breathtaking with your cabinet color and counters. It is hard to believe it is the same space!

o

That can't possibly be the same space! You must have moved to a new house.
That is one fabulous new kitchen. Love everything about it. It may have taken you longer than you wanted but I think it was worth it. Congratulations on a job well done.

o

I admit: I am with envy. Love it!!!

o

Wow, that is a beautiful kitchen and what a dramatic transformation!!! I'm not usually a fan of white kitchens but your mahogany island top and the backsplash tile really warm it up and bring the cozy feeling to the room. I am especially excited to see another Corian lover!! We did our counters in Corian Witch Hazel (which looks incredibly like your Sea Salt in these pics) and I love it so much. They have been in about 2 months and I could not be happier with my choice. I hope you enjoy many wonderful years in that beautiful kitchen!

o

Thanks for sharing your beautiful kitchen and for giving encouragement to those whose remodels are taking much longer than expected. Results like this are worth waiting for.

I love your choice of finishes - the Corian is a real eye-opener. I've never seen it look like that. Please give more info regarding your tiles.

It's all lovely and so well executed.

o

Stunning! Absolutely love your kitchen! The tile wall is amazing, and I love your counters, lighting, shelves, accessories (I want your bird tray!), everything.
You made wonderful choices. Enjoy your beautiful new space!

o

I lovelovelove the Sea Salt Corian, so awesome to see it used here! And I am another lover of your backsplash, what is the tile you used?

Your kitchen is wonderful, so well done!

o

Counters are gorgeous! The whole thing is gorgeous!

This is another one of those transformations where my brain just cant comprehend that it is the same place as the before pics.

o

OMG! Love everything about it! Too many things to take in now so I'll need to study when I have more time. I'm sure you are enjoying the transformation. Well done!

o

I'm not usually a fan of white kitchens..but for real I could live in there! Lol

Gorgeous!

Corian is my fav counter top too. It's so fabulous to the touch.

o

Thanks, everyone. Yes, I am truly enjoying this kitchen! There have been unexpected bonuses--I have enjoy cooking and baking in this space so much that my skill level has gone up about 5 notches!

greenhaven, the tile is handmade 3x6 Manhattan Field 543 fluid glaze Sea Turtle.

Glad to hear from other new Corian fans. I love it so much a part of me wants to keep a secret, because right now the first thing I hear when people look at the kitchen is "I love your counter--what is it?"!

o

I love what you did with the tile, fantastic job in every way. Just gorgeous!

o

WMA89! What can't you do?! That's awesome!

o

Beautiful!

o

A gorgeous white kitchen. I love, love, love the tile and the warmth it brings to the kitchen.

o

Wow!! Love this so much! Especially your counters (both), tile, lights, glass cabinets, open shelves...could go on and on... Just beautiful.

o

Stunning!!!!!! I love your choices!! I think this in one of my FAVORITE........... everything is perfect! I'll definitely be saving these pictures as inspiration! Thanks for sharing:)

o

The ceiling, the tiled wall, the pendants....these are a few of my favorite things! I could look at your kitchen for hours - what a great transformation!

o

Beautiful! I love everything about it. I have the same lights above my island too! I have never seen that Corain before and I would never have guessed that was Corian. Fabulous job.

o

OK you win. Best white kitchen I've ever seen.

o

Gorgeous...I admire that you were able to commit to a backsplash with such
OOMPH. That, mixing your finishes (gold light fixtures & silver hardware) & your accessories, just make your kitchen.
The Sea Salt, in your kitchen, looks like marble.
Enjoy!

o

That is really a beautiful kitchen and the tile wall is so perfect. Wow. Nice job. Very classy. Love the pantry with the glass door, too.

You must love to walk in there each morning!

I also love my solid surface (Wilsonart) countertops. Absolutely happy with them.

Thanks for posting this lovely, lovely kitchen. Glad you were late in posting your reveal.. I'm in the same spot but hope to get it posted very soon.

o

Amazing transformation. While I would have never picked that tile, it is absolutely my favorite thing in the design. It really warms up the white kitchen and picks up the colors from the floor, island and lights. GREAT job!

o

Simply gorgeous! Very warm and inviting!

o

Home run!!! Wonderful contrasts yet very serene space. Will be back to study more closely in the morning.

o

Just stunning. Love the tile, the countertops, glass front cabinets, everything!!!! Congratulations and many happy years enjoying it.

o

Beautiful kitchen!

o

Why I believe I actually gasped when I saw the after photos! I'm generally not a big white kitchen fan, but I have to say that yours is stunning. Really stunning. Not a fan of subway tiles either but your tile is truly gorgeous and really makes your space special. Wowza!!!

Love the traditional elements in the cabinets. Love the tile. Love the wood counter. Love the pendents. Love the open shelves. Love the clock. Love the way you decorated it. Hmmm . . . I actually love the whole thing.

It looks so warm and inviting. Hands down the prettiest white kitchen I've seen! Thanks for posting your reveal. Enjoy your gorgeous new space!

o

Wow! I wasn't expecting such a gorgeous reveal! My jaw dropped! I love the backsplash and that you took it all the way up the wall. Your mahogany is to die for. The pendants are perfect. Love the marble and the counters.

You did a fantastic job. It goes to show what a backsplash can do as well!

o

Drop dead Gor...geous!!!!!

That tile and the mahogany island are the most stunning combination in a white kitchen I have ever seen!! So rich, warm and just perfect in every way.
You must smile ear to ear time you walk into that space.
Wow, wow and double WOW!! Thanks for posting and enjoy!!

o

OMG it's amazing!!!! Enjoy your beautiful kitchen!

o

Beautiful! Enjoy.

o

Absolutely stunning.

I love that Corian, and I haven't loved any other Corian I've seen. Is that less $$ than granite or quartz?? It's beautiful!

o

Absolutely gorgeous. Love so many of your little details. Where did you purchase your lighting and hardware?

o

What a beautiful makeover!!!
Your kitchen is stunning!

Dawn

o

What a beautiful transformation! All of it! I also got new Corian Witch Hazel countertops a couple of weeks ago. Could not be happier with the beauty of it and ease of care. The newer color choices and this forum helped me decide on Corian. I used to think I hated Corian, but I now have to eat my words on Corian and undermount sinks! The cost is about the same as granite and soapstone, but Corian has a special pricing offer going on. That helped a little.
Your kitchen is absolutely beautiful!

o

Wow! What an amazing transformation!
Love everything you did- especially the tile and countertops!
Looking forward to KAW pictures!
Congratulations.

PS I might look into your counter for our bathroom

o

absolutely fab......love the tile wall.... fantastic!!!!!

o

Very, VERY nice! The tile color is unique and really brought the kitchen out of the ordinary.

I think people got tired of the speckled Corian look. Now with these newer patterns that are so pretty, it may regain favor. I definitely considered it myself.

o

Seems I'm always late to these threads and everything I want to say has already been said! Well here goes anyway - my gosh it's beautiful. The tiled wall is truly wonderful. Congrats.

o

OMG, what an incredible transformation from blah to stunning! Love the tile to the ceiling, the island (you're making me second guess my decision not to add a prep sink to my small, narrow island), the windows, the china hutch.... so much to love!

Congratulations on a remodel well executed!

o

Wow, thanks so much for all your nice comments! Again, I would have been lost without the expertise I got from this board. I was so disappointed with the original design presented by the KD that I decided to do it myself. I presented many iterations of the plan here, and the feedback was so helpful. Being a remodel we also had the typical unforseen issues to deal with.
Viennamommy- the light fixtures are from Overstock! I looked everywhere for the right size and finish. The finish is aged copper. I lucked out. The hardware is from one of the big on-line sites. I'll check my records when I'm home. purrus, this line of corian is priced about the same as big box store granite.

o

Everyone has already said everything I can think of, plus your kitchen leaves me speechless. Wow, wow, wow. What an amazing space. Thanks so much for sharing the photos!!

o

Absolutely beautiful! I am a big fan of white kitchens, and this one is gorgeous! The tile is my favorite part. Great job!

o

WMA89, what everyone else said -- Gorgeous! Can you show us the view from the cooktop to the other end of the room? Might you have diagrams to share that include dimensions? Just a stunner!

o

Beautiful! Could you share dimensions and tile source?
Thanks for sharing!

o

Beautiful! Love your counters and backsplash combo! The white is a great choice and the little details everywhere are just fabulous.

o

Thanks again, everyone. I have limited internet access for a few days but will post the dimensions and drawings when I'm back on-line. beg17, scroll up to my post on 8/9 @ 19:20 for info on the tiles. I ordered them through a local tile store. I will also post photos looking from the kitchen to the sitting room when I get back!

o

I love how everything goes so well in your kitchen! I love the Counters: Corian Sea Salt with the BM Simply White painted custom beautiful cabinets. I love your island's warmth. I love the backsplash. Thank you for sharing your beautiful new renovated kitchen with us.

o

Wow!! Love it!!

o

Okay, first of all, your kitchen is GORGEOUS!!! Every detail is stunning and melds together perfectly! Secondly, I've made a lot of similar choices for the kitchen I'm about to renovate (similar cabinets, countertop, backsplash, floor), and seeing your beautifully finished kitchen has made me feel so much better about how (I hope) mine will be! Cheers!

o

No way! Where was that roofline in the old kitchen?!?
It is just beautiful; all of your choices are so good. But I really love the decorating touches of the dishes on the open shelves and that clock!

o

Beautiful kitchen! I am especially interested in your choice of counters, as I am putting in white cabinets; glad to have that new thought. Did you choose primarily because of the pattern available that was not elsewhere, or the feel/function?

o

That's really creative how the hood stack is done at the ceiling. So many things to admire! Love the layout with all the interesting vignettes. The area with the buffet arrangement is awesome. Love that and also the door with the baskets behind the glass. Beautiful!

o

This is truly beautiful! The tile, Corian and wood counters go so well together. Your cabinets are lovely. I like the clock behind the range top, the lighted glass hutch, the ceiling beams, the purple onions in the basket, and so many other details!

Congratulations! The results are wonderful!

o

Indeed, one of the most beautiful white kitchens I have seen, and they are my favorite! I'm about to install a solid surface counter top myself! Yours is so gorgeous it is making me rethink my plain pattern selection.

You will enjoy this space for many years!

o

Indeed, one of the most beautiful white kitchens I have seen, and they are my favorite! I'm about to install a solid surface counter top myself! Yours is so gorgeous it is making me rethink my plain pattern selection.

You will enjoy this space for many years!

o

Ditto to everything that has been said. This has to be one of the most breathtaking before and after kitchens I've seen. I am truly gobsmacked. Every little detail is right on! What a beautiful space. And wow... that Corian... I might have to consider it next time around. Congrats on a fantastic kitchen.

o

Congratulations and thank you for posting!
I've looked at this thread several times without replying, I needed a new word and I think belle_va finally gave it to me: gobsmacked. This is a stunning use of materials, all individually beautiful, but even more so together!

o

Really, really beautiful. I would never have considered Corian for my kitchen until I saw yours. It looks like a marble or quartzite. Love the simply white cabinets and the way the tile and wood floors provide warmth and contrast.

Your pictures are definitely going in my inspiration file!

o

Wow! Lucky you with that wonderful ceiling, and smart you to tile it all the way up, and brave you for not making it white subway. Gorgeous color.

o

Stunning, beautiful and wonderful, but I'll say it. I don't get the clock and its location.

o

Wow, what a change from the 1st kitchen to the new! That is so beautiful. All of your choices work perfectly. Your tile & Corian go so well together. Thanks for sharing.

o

Should be on the cover of a magazine. Spectacular.

o

When you are able ...looking forward to more views and dimensions. Thanks!

o

Finally got a chance to snap a couple more photos--unfortunately the sun was quite bright at the time so the lighting is not great. First are the before and after floor plans. Before:
 photo IMG_4085_zps9ec489a3.jpg
After: photo IMG_4087_zpsbb8cb3a0.jpg
We took down the wall between the original kitchen and family room. We also bumped out a couple feet on the back wall of the family room, as well as a couple of feet into the original foyer and one foot into the original dining room. We bumped the kitchen window out and ran the counter up to it. We also added a door out to the back. Minor changes, but it really added a lot of good space to the new area. I don't miss the space in the foyer or the dining room. The other major thing we did was replace the existing second set of basement stairs off the garage with a mudroom. Previously the only way in the house was through the front door.
Here's a before and after of the family room/now kitchen sitting area (these photos were from the realtor listing when we bought the house from a lovely 85 year old couple): photo 258107_zps2aa3a522.jpg photo P1020854_zps7b55e73e.jpg
Here's the dining room before: photo oldferncliffdr_zps20da86e6.jpg
And after photo P1020857_zpsbd9993ea.jpg

The original kitchen was approximately 12 x 12. The new space (incorporating the old family room is approximately 15 x 27. The kitchen area itself is about 15 x 16. I will say, though, that it really feels much larger than that! I really wouldn't need or want it any larger. This house was a downsize and it is just perfect for us at at this stage!

o

Looks like a spread for Country Living Magazine! Love it!

o

Now that my tile is installed, it seems that BM Simply White looks best with my tiles. I need to get a sample of this Corian Sea Salt counter since my tiles are neutral but busy and need a calm light counter.

Don't forget when you have time, took look up the online store where you got your hardware and let us know what you bought as it is beautiful.

I love your large baseboards and the shoe molding. I love the updated rooms. Gorgeous fireplace! Gorgeous curtains!

What width are your oak wood floors. I love them!

I love the big clock in your kitchen. I love all sized clocks!

Are your custom cabinets, flush inset? Again, now I see why people choose BM Simply White since it is so nice.

o

We just made the decision to forgo cabinets on either side of the hood so that we don't have to shrink the window on that wall. Yay! So I've switched from shopping for under cabinet hoods to wall and chimney hoods. Your hood is lovely! I've never heard of Superior hoods. Are you happy with it? Would you please post a close-up photo for me, including the underside?

Thank you!!

btw, a cousin of mine installed Corian in her kitchen a few years ago. She still loves her counters.

o

Thank you so much for sharing those pics and the floorplan. Now, off to study them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here