Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teeda

Finished White Kitchen Mini Reveal

teeda
9 years ago

This forum was invaluable when we we designing and overseeing the build of our kitchen remodel. I learned so much about what makes a kitchen not only work aesthetically, but functionally as well. I love, love this new kitchen. There is a designated place for everything, which makes keeping it organized so much easier. We finished the kitchen about six months ago. The remodel turned into a bit of a nightmare and took 15 months. I've been so busy getting settled back into the house that I've neglected posting the final results.

This kitchen remodel was part of a fairly major remodel of the living areas of a late 60s brick ranch we purchased two years ago. The original kitchen was tiny, as you can see in the photos. We took down the wall between the kitchen and small family room. We also pushed a couple feet into an oversized foyer, as well as a foot into the existing dining room in order to make more space for the kitchen. The ceiling was already vaulted in the family room, but we extended this into the kitchen during the remodel. If I were to pick my two favorite things about this kitchen it would be the Corian Sea Salt countertops and the Franke Orca sink. I love, love these countertops. These are a maintenance breeze, and I love the way they feel. Many people, including my builder, were skeptical when I said I wanted Corian but were blown away with the results. I also really like having all the drawers for dishes, as well as the small drawers in the glass hutch where I store flatware. Makes unloading the dishwasher so easy! Here are some basic details:

Cabinets: Custom
Cabinet Paint: BM Simply White
Counters: Corian Sea Salt
Island top: Mahogany with dark walnut stain
Sink: Franke Orca
Fridge: Sub zero
Rangetop: Wolf
Wall oven: KitchenAid
Hood: Superior
Floors: Oak, stained with dark walnut/provincial mix

Thanks so much to everyone on the Kitchen Forum who answered my questions and shared ideas. I owe you all!
Before:

After:

Comments (109)

• stealthecrumbs
    9 years ago

Ditto to everything that has been said. This has to be one of the most breathtaking before and after kitchens I've seen. I am truly gobsmacked. Every little detail is right on! What a beautiful space. And wow... that Corian... I might have to consider it next time around. Congrats on a fantastic kitchen.

• kksmama
    9 years ago

Congratulations and thank you for posting!
    I've looked at this thread several times without replying, I needed a new word and I think belle_va finally gave it to me: gobsmacked. This is a stunning use of materials, all individually beautiful, but even more so together!

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

Really, really beautiful. I would never have considered Corian for my kitchen until I saw yours. It looks like a marble or quartzite. Love the simply white cabinets and the way the tile and wood floors provide warmth and contrast.

Your pictures are definitely going in my inspiration file!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Wow! Lucky you with that wonderful ceiling, and smart you to tile it all the way up, and brave you for not making it white subway. Gorgeous color.

• Paul Celeste
    9 years ago

Stunning, beautiful and wonderful, but I'll say it. I don't get the clock and its location.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Wow, what a change from the 1st kitchen to the new! That is so beautiful. All of your choices work perfectly. Your tile & Corian go so well together. Thanks for sharing.

• bestyears
    9 years ago

Should be on the cover of a magazine. Spectacular.

• dccurlygirl
    9 years ago

When you are able ...looking forward to more views and dimensions. Thanks!

• teeda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally got a chance to snap a couple more photos--unfortunately the sun was quite bright at the time so the lighting is not great. First are the before and after floor plans. Before:

After:

We took down the wall between the original kitchen and family room. We also bumped out a couple feet on the back wall of the family room, as well as a couple of feet into the original foyer and one foot into the original dining room. We bumped the kitchen window out and ran the counter up to it. We also added a door out to the back. Minor changes, but it really added a lot of good space to the new area. I don't miss the space in the foyer or the dining room. The other major thing we did was replace the existing second set of basement stairs off the garage with a mudroom. Previously the only way in the house was through the front door.
    Here's a before and after of the family room/now kitchen sitting area (these photos were from the realtor listing when we bought the house from a lovely 85 year old couple):

Here's the dining room before:

And after

The original kitchen was approximately 12 x 12. The new space (incorporating the old family room is approximately 15 x 27. The kitchen area itself is about 15 x 16. I will say, though, that it really feels much larger than that! I really wouldn't need or want it any larger. This house was a downsize and it is just perfect for us at at this stage!

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

Looks like a spread for Country Living Magazine! Love it!

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Now that my tile is installed, it seems that BM Simply White looks best with my tiles. I need to get a sample of this Corian Sea Salt counter since my tiles are neutral but busy and need a calm light counter.

Don't forget when you have time, took look up the online store where you got your hardware and let us know what you bought as it is beautiful.

I love your large baseboards and the shoe molding. I love the updated rooms. Gorgeous fireplace! Gorgeous curtains!

What width are your oak wood floors. I love them!

I love the big clock in your kitchen. I love all sized clocks!

Are your custom cabinets, flush inset? Again, now I see why people choose BM Simply White since it is so nice.

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

We just made the decision to forgo cabinets on either side of the hood so that we don't have to shrink the window on that wall. Yay! So I've switched from shopping for under cabinet hoods to wall and chimney hoods. Your hood is lovely! I've never heard of Superior hoods. Are you happy with it? Would you please post a close-up photo for me, including the underside?

Thank you!!

btw, a cousin of mine installed Corian in her kitchen a few years ago. She still loves her counters.

• dccurlygirl
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing those pics and the floorplan. Now, off to study them!

• dccurlygirl
    9 years ago

WMA89, I keep coming back to your beautiful kitchen for inspiration and admiration. Just so well done!

Can I ask what color your dining room walls are? That blue/gray seems so relaxing.

• teeda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dccurlygirl--the dining room walls are BM Tranquility.

Thank you so much for your kind compliment--I do love the new kitchen!

• dccurlygirl
    9 years ago

Tranquility -- perfect name for it! Thanks, WMA.

• nancyjwb
    9 years ago

I must have missed this when you posted it earlier.. So gorgeous! I saw your old kitchen and I thought, oh that's kinda cute. My jaw dropped when I saw the after! Such a beautiful space. Just wow. Your tile wall makes the kitchen. Lots of inspiration here!

• teeda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Nancy!

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

I have posted before but again, I think hands down the prettiest kitchen I have seen! Someday would love a kitchen with the brown tile. So elegant and rich.
    Enjoy!

• teeda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks tinker--that's quite a compliment! A lot of agonizing was put into the design (being a remodel nothing went smoothly and we had to keep going back to the drawing board), but the information I got from posting and reading old threads on this board is what really made the difference. This kitchen works so well that I am enjoying cooking (and baking) for the first time in YEARS!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

WMA89 - I'm so glad this was bumped! I've thought of it often but couldn't remember whose kitchen it was. Definitely one of my favorites as well. Now, about those KAW pictures....

• teeda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oldbat2be--what has surprised me the most about working in this new kitchen is my new love for baking. I never really baked before--other than from box mixes. The downside to baking, of course, is eating all the baked goods! I've had to reduce the frequency of my baking (or buy a whole new wardrobe)--but here are a few of my accomplishments

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Yum, those look delicious! I love to bake too but take left-overs to work or give to DH to take in - have very little willpower otherwise.

Only thing better than seeing these treats on your gorgeous counter would be to see them against the backdrop of your lovely tile :)

• Melkel97
    9 years ago

gorgeous kitchen! I can't get over the transformation! well done!! We just finished our remodel and it took 4 months so I can't imagine a year!!!! ha! :) well worth it! i thought the subway tile was brick from a distance- beautiful!! enjoy baking those tasty treats! The cake looks like one of my go to recipes for Hummingbird Cake- is that what it is by any chance?? :)

• rexroat
    9 years ago

What a wonderful transformation!

Do you have any information on the stone you used for your new fireplace stone wall?

• teeda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, rexroat. The stone is Boston Blend Ashlar. The link to the distributor is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boston Blend Ashlar

• rexroat
    9 years ago

WMA89,
    Thanks for the link!

Enjoy your new home,
    rexroat

• Kbeth93
    9 years ago

So I've been lurking for awhile, finally made an account just so I could comment....
    You have a gorgeous GORGEOUS kitchen. Love the simply white cabinets.
    Was wondering what color is on the ceiling by chance?

Thanks!

• teeda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kbeth93--Thank you! The kitchen walls and ceiling are BM Baby Fawn.

• LeeMiller
    9 years ago

Wow, I just love your kitchen!! Can I ask how do you open the freezer drawers without handles on the panels?

Also, we're in the process of remodeling a rambler, looks like you redid the baseboards. We're thinking of that and adding crown. Did you change interior doors and window trim too? I can't decide it that will be worth it. But your place looks fantastic.

Again, cannot even believe it is the same kitchen!

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Jaw-droppingly gorgeous transformation!

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

I love when this post surfaces! lol
    Still, I think my favorite kitchen I have seen here.

• annettacm
    9 years ago

I've read every post, I think, even the one where the OP tells someone where to look for her info on the tile, and I still can't find it.

What is this tile and color? Sorry if I'm duplicating something. Thanks!!

• kiko_gw
    9 years ago

greenhaven, the tile is handmade 3x6 Manhattan Field 543 fluid glaze Sea Turtle.

• annettacm
    9 years ago

LOL... thanks, kiko... I realized that in my lack of attention to detail, the only detail I DID notice was that the OP said (in response to someone else): "scroll up to my post on 8/9 @ 19:20 for info on the tiles."

So I scrolled up to Aug 9 and there was no 19:20. Now that you've helped, I searched "Sea Turtle", and the OP's post was actually on Aug 8th, not 8/9. :) I wasn't completely crazy. Well, 90%, maybe. :) Thanks!!

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    9 years ago

That kitchen is gorgeous!

Anyone want to take bets on how long before the clock melts/burst into flames?

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

I love this kitchen so much.

The tile is so beautiful and I googled the name to be curious and came across a close up picture of it and hope you don't mind me posting it. Simply Gorgeous, all of it!!!

• dccurlygirl
    9 years ago

WMA89, can I ask you about your lanterns? What is the length of each side?

• jxa44
    9 years ago

What a gorgeous kitchen! You done real good.

• gabytx12
    9 years ago

I L-O-V-E!!!!!!!!!!LOVE!!!!! THIS KITCHEN!!!

I AM TOTALLY GOING TO COPY SOME OF YOUR DESIGN ELEMENTS!!

Thanks for posting!!

• missymoo23_(z9a_Tx)
    9 years ago

O. M. G. ........ WOW!!! I spend all my time on the Garden Forums and wandered over here. My jaw did drop!! That looks like $150,000 worth of remodel...but money well spent. I am floored!!

• Lily Spider
    8 years ago

All of your reveal pics have disappeared? Any way you can repost? Thanks!

• kelleg69
    8 years ago

I am intrigued too! Please repost.

• cubby325
    8 years ago

I'm wondering if the photos disappeared because Houzz now has control, no longer the garden web - I miss that community.

• Krissa Gray
    6 years ago

I wish I could see the pics! :(

• pattyk_64
    6 years ago

I would love to see this pictures as well!

• nhbaskets
    6 years ago

This is odd. I cannot see the photos when entering my normal way, however, I receive an email about this thread as I posted back in 2014. The email link has the pictures. Weird. Try this link

• PRO
    Renov8or
    6 years ago

nope, no pictures

• badgergal
    6 years ago

The reason the photos have vanished is because Photobucket changed their policy in June 2017 and no longer allows people with free Photobucket accounts to post pictures to a 3rd party website. If the individuals that posted pictures to other websites want the link fixed they have to upgrade their Photobucket account at the cost of $399. If you google Photobucket 3rd party hosting you will find lots of articles about this change and how upset people are that Photobucket is holding their images hostage. Here is one article about it Missing Photobucket pictures

• kim k
    6 years ago
    I can see the photos when I’m on the app from my phone but couldn’t on my computer. Weird!
Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living