Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrianne22_gw

Has anyone bought cabinets off Ebay - NEW

carrianne22
16 years ago

I can't believe how much cheaper these cabinets are: http://www.neighborhoods-inc.com/cabinets.html (Lexington) than anything else we have looked at! 2K cheaper for similar ones.

Our sample door front comes tomorrow. Has anyone bought the Lexington cabinets. Anyone bought from Neighborhoods? I found them on ebay.

Comments (41)

• jenellecal
    16 years ago

Oh and they had a better selection that many of the other cabinet sellers on ebay. They have many of the features that the higher end cabinet makers offer. I was able to put my cabinet order together using the Kraftmaid book and give it to them. Most of the items were available, including the spice pullouts and pullout shelves.

• carrianne22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Janellecal --

How do you like them. I go a quote from them too - but neighborhoods was a little cheaper. How do you think the quality is. I am using ebay and craigslist too!!! :)

• jenellecal
    16 years ago

If you get them of ebay or the internet make sure to look for cabinet grade plywood, not particle board as well as dove tail joints on the drawer fronts. If you're assembling them yourself try to stay away from the cam lock system and get good old fashioned cabinets that go together with wood glue and nails.

• carrianne22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much!! (I'll ask neighborhoods that tomorrow! Do you have pictures.

• carrianne22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think I am getting the lexington

• jenellecal
    16 years ago

I don't have them all put together and they aren't installed. So far so good. DH is doing the cabinets and he is satisfied with them and he's picky one. I love the doors, the colors are great and the wood has a rick fel to it. I took it to Lowe's and compared the finish to their lines and it was comparable.

I really liked Johnny at Kitchen Pro, nice guy. There was a problem with the molding and they had new molding to me within 2 days. I met the owners while I was at the showroom and I liked them as well.

I paid $4100 total for my cabinets and that included the pantry and oven wall cabinets as well as everything else. If I were you I'd order samples from both places and see which one you like more. I'd also inquire about the warranty and customer service you'd receive. Perhaps find more people you can ask questions of.

I would contact the buyers that left feedback (both positive and negative) and see what they have to say.

• carrianne22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jenellecal...

thanks again! I emailed Johnny tonight with questions. He's who I had an original email from. ** I hope this happens...I was just about to order from the other supplier until I heard from you. Kitchen Pro has a referral program. I told Johnny that I only reconsidered them because of your great referral...who knows - you may get $200 bucks!! :)

• jenellecal
    16 years ago

carrieanne that's funny, I forgot all about the referral program. :-0 Thanks for thinking of it.

Above all mak esure YOU'RE happy with the choice since you have to live with them.

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

These are same manufacturer of cabinets I am considering, although I am going through a local business that installs kitchens, so I am also paying for a contractor who installs them and oversees the job and granite countertops in the price, and therefore it is 2-3 times that price. The Lexington cabinets have been installed by him in more than one kitchen of people I work with, as well as many others, and is one of his more popular styles. I have seen sample doors and they are nice. The Lexington has a dark glaze that on the sample door almost made it look like the raised panel is outlined in black. It was much more distinct in person. This is less noticeable in photos, although I have not heard of anyone who has been unhappy with them. Go to the manufacturer's web sit and learn about the cabinets if you like. The manufacturer offers sample doors to their customers for 15.00. Ask if you can purchase one before ordering/bidding on an entire kitchen worth of cabinets. I am going to ask my kitchen installer to order 1 or 2 for me to use with shopping and comparing materials, etc., as well as to use for "experiments" like testing cleaning products and in case I ever want to try refinishing them, I can try it on the sample first. Of coarse there will be shipping and handling added to that price, and they will probably charge you more than the 15.00 they are charged, as well. It should not be unaffordable, however. It would make ordering $4000-5000.00 worth of cabinets online a little less risky in case you don't like them. In addition to Ebay feedback, you might want to check out the bricks and mortar business behind it on the Better Business Bureau online. Also find out how they handle problems like finish defects or other issues if you are not happy with any of the cabinets you receive, who pays for shipping them back and reshipping new cabinets, etc.

The only criticism I have heard from one person out of 3 I have spoken to who have this brand of cabinets, was the wood was a little thinner than what you would get in custom cabinets built on site by a carpenter. That person did not have the Lexington line, but the less expensive colonial maple, I believe. She is still very happy with her new kitchen and feels it was well worth while.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: JSI Manufacterer Link

• carrianne22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much everyone. My sample door actually came today and I LOVE it. I am excited -- they only take ONE week to get here from Neighborhoods. I should be ordering early next week!! Yahoo!!

I do need to see what Kitchen Pro has quoted me today...I really like this one though!

• ellene613
    16 years ago

These cabinets are so inexpensive because they are manufactured in mainland China where labor costs are incredibly low. The wood doors comes from Canada or China and are milled in China. I believe the boxes are also Chinese. It is a stock line -- selection is limited, as are features. Veneers appear to be thin, and the line has not been around long enough to accurately assess durability, especially of hardware.

I do kitchen design (but do not sell cabinets) and have a few clients who have used this line. They are happy with it, and as you have noticed, the cabinets are extremely well-priced, but it is important that you understand the limitations of the product.

• carrianne22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

YIKES!! Ellene613...do you know any of the inside scoop on the Kitchen Pro Cabinets?

I am specifically looking at the glazed maple ones.

thanks so much!

www.kitchenspro.com

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

Ellen, what veneers are you referring to and why do you say they seem thin? The cabinet doors and fronts are claimed to be solid wood, not veneer. Are you talking about cabinet interiors, which are made of plywood and presumably are covered by maple vineer?

Are other common lines like Kraftmaid and Thomasville that are available from the big box stores U.S. Made, or even just better made, either with pressed board boxes and shelves or plywood upgrades? Or are you comparing this line to full custom cabinetry or Higher end lines like Plain and Fancy?

Not sure what you mean by the limitations. Selection of door styles and colors is limited but enough that most pleople seem to like at least one or two of the choices. I don't think they have all the specialized types of cabinets that say, Kraftmaid does, but they had all the standard cabinets plus wine racks, plate racks, pull out shelves, lazy susans, etc. that I asked about.

Since you mention the limitations, and it is important to consider those, and since I haven't ordered mine yet, I would like to be sure I know what they are. So far, they seem like better construction with all plywood boxes and shelves, dovetailed drawers and solid wood fronts, drawers and doors, than most of the lines I looked at for much more money. Aren't the doors and drawer fronts solid maple? They only state they use plywood for box sides, tops and bottoms, not for cabinet fronts, doors or drawers.

Anyway, is there a line that is made in the US and/or matches the quality of these cabinets, in this price range, that you would recommend we consider before going with these?

Sue

• paulines
    16 years ago

Like Ellene (hey there!), I do freelance KD (I don't sell cabinetry either). Comparing and accessing cabinetry is a 3 part 'test', imo. Hope this helps;

First I would request the cabinetry info & spec sheets from both these companies, as well as some of the more mainstream lines (for example; kraftmaid).

Look at how the case and *drawers* are constructed and materials used. If plywood are the case sides a minimum of 3/8" thick? Are doors solid (for example; a reversed raised), a veneer center panel or MDO? Each has its pros and cons, but you want the best for your buck & circumstances.

Next, inquire about hardware. What brand and how do they function? Are the drawer mechanisms full extension (undermount?) and/or softclose? What is the weight rating?Are the hinges ajustable and/or full swing?

Lastly, take a look at the interior & exterior finishes. 50 gram melamine bonded to plywood is a good baseline. Some folks prefer a veneer. How are the cabinets finished? Are they appealing visually?

• rhibert
    16 years ago

I bought my cabinets from a company I found on Ebay- unfortunately by the time I got around to ordering them they had stopped listing auctions, but I still got a pretty good deal. In all of my online research I would find a cabinet that I liked, at a good price, and then try to find a company near me that sold them so that I could check out the quality and colors in person. I know I found that Lexington a couple of places (sometimes it's a different name but the same brand). Plus I wanted to make sure that I couldn't get at least the same deal with a company that's near me, for shipping purposes as well as customer service problems. Never did find as good of a deal as I could online, but it was so reassuring to see my cabinets up close and personal before I ordered them online. => BTW, mine came from www.mkfusa.com, Meramec Kitchens and Floors, they're solid Cherry and just GORGEOUS! Haven't posted pics yet, they're still in my living room...

• ellene613
    16 years ago

First of all, let me stress that my clients with Beacon Hill and Lexington cabinets are happy. They were not expecting Crown Point.
    Here is a picture of a client's kitchen with Lexington. The granite is Santa Cecilia.

Beacon Hill/Lexington et al are sold by more than one dealer. I am not familiar with Kitchen Pros, and my remarks are about cabinets only, not dealers.

Setting aside any economic, environmental, and/or political issues, my major concern is about durability of hardware. I do not believe that the cabinets are rated for weight loads or longevity. I would like to see some kind of rating such as KCMA, especially as, at least for now, quality control appears to be a real weakness in Chinese-made goods. Another flag for me is that they put stiles in all cabinets wider than 27". Besides that stiles severely limit storage, it makes me wonder whether they have confidence in the structural integrity of the plywood boxes.

I recall seeing veneer chipping on shelves some time ago in a kitchen I visited with Beacon Hill. I am visiting a client tomorrow (to see how her kitchen came out) who used either Beacon Hill or Lexington -- I'll try to pay attention to veneers.

For a relatively inexpensive American made stock line, check out Armstrong. Upgrade the drawer glides.

Oh, and Hi Pauline! How're ya doin?

Here is a link that might be useful: KCMA cabinet standards

• carrianne22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ellen -- the kitchen design is beautiful!! OK -- Here's what Kitchen Pro cabinets in Maple say: North American Maple (To me -- the look is basically the same as Lexington)

Color: Coffee Glazed
    Door Style Upper: Square Raised Panel
    Lower: Square Raised Panel
    Full Overlay
    Drawers: High Durability Dovetailed Drawers
    Interior Matching Color
    Specifications:
    BOX: 1/2" Cabinet Grade Plywood.
    Shelves 5/8" Cabinet Grade Plywood.
    Front: 3/4" Solid Natural Maple
    Drawers: 5/8" Cabinet Grade Plywood
    Hardware: Concealed (Euro) Hinges
    High Durability, Under mount
    Full Extension, Self Closing
    Warranty: Life-Time
    Best Price Guarantee: Effective

How much more are these specs worth? Does that make sense. They are probably 1K-2K more...worth it for the added upgrades?
    thanks for all your help!!

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

I called JSI which makes the Lexington and they use 1/2" Plywood for the boxes; doors and fronts are solid Maple full overlay (I forgot to ask the thickness but can you measure it if you have the sample door and let us know); drawer glides are undermount self closing; European style conceiled adjustable hinges on the doors.

Can you tell me what the upgrade(s) is/are in the Kitchen Pro cabinets? I did email Kitchen Pro to see where the cabinets are made for anyone who thinks that is important. I have the same decision to make, so thanks for posting this information.

Sue

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

In case it matters, this is the very quick reply I received from Kitchen Pro:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in kitchen Pro Cabinetry.
    Our cabinets are manufactured in China and we keep them in stock here in Los Angeles County.
    Once ordered typical shipments will go out within three days.
    I hope this answers your question. If you need additional info, feel free to contact us anytime.
    Again, thank you.

The KP team
    www.kitchenspro.com
    info@kitchenspro.com
    (877) 210-6361
    Fax (818) 975-5800

Sue

• carrianne22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I swear - I think its the same cabinet!! ;) I've posted the upgrades for the Kitchens Pro cabinets.

Are you sure the Lexington is full overlay...I was told its a standard overlay?

Lexington door is 1/2 (but including the raised panel - 3/4 in)

• carrianne22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sue -- did JSI tell you if the drawers are dovetailed?

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

OK, this is the story. I just went to see a house my kitchen installer is installing the kitchen in, and they went with JSI Lexington for a vanity and Georgetown for the kitchen. Those are the two styles from JSI I am choosing between. I misspoke earlier because I had misunderstood. The Georgetown cabinets, which are the same door but in cherry stained maple, are JSI's top of the line. THOSE cabinets have upgraded, slightly heavier duty, undermount, self closing glides, full overlays and dovetailed drawers. The Lexington cabinets with the brown stain and brown glaze you looked at have standard undermount glides and standard overlays. None of the JSI cabinets have full extension drawers. JSI cabinets have a 1 yr warantee. JSI website says all cabinets have 3/4 inch maple doors and interiors with maple veneer, does not say if the Lexington drawers are dovetailed or not, and I forgot to look when I was looking at the Lexington vanity. I don't think they are, or I assume they would say it, but it should just be a quick email to find out. You might want to see if you like the JSI Georgetown which is the same drawer and door front but in a cherry stain, and with heavier self closing glides, dovetailed drawers and full overlays. The upgrade for my entire kitchen of cabinets between those two lines is only 200.00. Any dealer that sells JSI cabinets should be able to get you any of the lines. With the 1000-2000.00 more for Kitchen Pro you appear to be buying full extension glides, more door choices, maybe dovetailed drawers and an extended warantee (but the same quality of cabinet). If those are important to you, you will have to pay the extra for Kitchen Pro. Another thought is how much it would cost to replace the drawer glides yourself. I included a link below for purchasing them. I might ask about that myself if I decide to go with the Lexington.

Just speculating here, but I wouldn't be surprised if several companies get the same cabinet boxes from China and put different doors and hardware with them. The options will vary from one company to another, with the more limited lines being less expensive for some reason.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Full extension drawer glides

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

I just realized that neighborhoods does not even say who makes the Lexington cabinets. It must be JSI, because the photo they use is taken directly from the JSI website, see link. Is it engraved on the inside of the sample door you received? You might also want to look into a seller called "shop-smarts" that has the full line and 100% feedback.

I only knew the manufacturer because I am purchasing cabinets made by the same company and I recognized the photo from their literature. If you want another price on them, there are several people selling the identical JSI cabinets on ebay. I am sure the ones that do not tell you the manufacturer would confirm it if you emailed them. Then you would know you are comparing prices on the exact same cabinets.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: JSI cabinets - click on kitchens then lexington

• llegarrec
    16 years ago

sue_ct, you've been extremely helpful here.
    I looked at the JSI website and the Arlington is exactly what I am looking for.
    Are the JSI's ready to assemble or are they made already?
    I noticed JSI is headquatered in MA...I wonder if I can buy direct from JSI? Anyone know?

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

I don't know, but you can call them and ask. The customer service number is on the website. I am in CT, and my local contractor uses them specifically for people looking for the best quality for the least price. For those who want lots of options and are willing to pay for them he uses others. But he swears these are the best quality cabinets you can get for this price. My biggest disappointment is that they do not offer an appliance garage. They do offer some other standard features/up grades like pull out shelves and lazy susans. But plan to add any fancy organizational upgrades yourself.

Glad I could be of some help. We can both post photos when we are done and maybe share who you finally decided to go with.

I plan to get started in late Sept. or Early Oct and hope to finish before Thanksgiving. That includes opeining up a load bearing wall and rerooting the baseboard heaters by a GC and plummer, and putting in a hardwood floor myself. Think I can do it? :)

Sue

• llegarrec
    16 years ago

Hi Sue,
    I found the cabinet spec list for JSI. Somewhat disappointing, I really wanted the corner tambour unit, mullion doors and a microwave cabinet.
    I am on a mission to see if any of the other glazes from Kraftmaid, Thomasville etc match and get the add-ons that way. I can't live without an appliance garage or mullion doors! But for the price they are, I think I can sacrifice not having a built-in microwave.
    Hmmm start late Sept and finish in Nov...? Yes, since you have a GC.
    Are you removing other walls besides the load bearing one?
    I have gutted my kitchen in March (LOL! I know!) down to the studs and knocked out walls..the sheetrock is just going up this weekend. It has been such a money trap...we ended up doing so much electrical and plumbing since my house is 1890.
    I wish you luck on your renovations! Keep me informed. : )

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

GC is not doing my kitchen, only the wall I want opened.

They do have mullions, I saw them in the kitchen I went to visit and they are included in my plan. The microwave cabinet, I would just alter another type of cabinet for. I don't know what you had in mind for a microwave cabinet, but you might be able to use another cabinet, like what they will be putting over my over-the-range microwave, paired with an upper and base cabinet, or a pantry of the right width and depth altered. You know those short cabinets like will be over my microwave? What if you took those doors and put them on the top part of the pantry instead of the larger upper doors and the microwave in the space below? Or have you compared the size of the sample door to your microwave? Maybe you could use those in some way. I don't understand the specs list or know how to read it, or know what matches in width, etc., but I bet you could alter a cabinet to fit the size microwave you have. They do have moldings, etc., that could be used to trim out a cabinet. Let me know about the tambour unit, because I really wanted one, too. I am not sure you have the complete list, though, since they don't list the mullions. Did they have wine rack listed, because one of those was included in a lower cabinet on my plan, also.

I wonder if anyone that makes unfinished cabinets would have a garage setup in maple that would fit the corner cabinet? You might try seeing if they can provide a base stain that matches the cabinets that they might have to use for touchups and moldings and stuff. They do have glazing pens they sell now for touchups.

Hope you will share what you find!

Sue

• michiele
    16 years ago

RHIBERT! I have been looking at getting cabinets from mkfusa.com also. I would love to talk with you about your cabinets... Email me if you see my message. (check my profile). Thanks.

Michiele

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

Ellene, did you get back to see that kitchen? I am interested in what you found. Thanks for the heads up about the hardware. I am really planning to go the new, upgraded line they call Georgetown, which includes an upgrade in hardware to more heavy duty and self closing glides.

llegarrec, where did you find the cabinet spec list for JSI? I would love to take a look at it just to make sure there are no other options I would like.

Thanks!

Sue

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

llegarrec, they will ship the cabinets ready to be assembled or assembled according to the website. The ones on Ebay I saw were the ready to assemble ones. And by the way, I included a link to an Ebay site with the spec sheet and THERE IS A MICROWAVE CABINET, line 52, I believe. Check with the company to be sure that it is not only available only in select styles, but I doubt it. It may be a newer option that was not yet added to the spec sheet you saw. I plan to ask my friend, whose son is doing my kitchen, if she will let me know if and when a garage becomes available. I bet it will! I would love an old historic house! Your loving attention to it will be well rewarded, I am sure! Make sure you add some photos to your My Page as you go along.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Spec sheet for JSI cabinets

• rhibert
    16 years ago

MICHIELE-

I sent you a message with my email addy in it. Just thought I would post too in case you don't get it. Glad to answer any questions you have!

• kitchenspro
    16 years ago

Hello everyone,
    My name is Ben and i'm the founder and Co-owner of Kitchen Pro Cabinetry.

I will be hapy to answer some of your questions and give you some advice about your projects.

You can reach me at my office @ 800-772-3430
    Or just post here :)

• carrianne22
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone...I started this post and then life got in the way and I wasn't able to write for a while. Anyways...I want with the JSI Lexington Cabinets. The are in...and I am LOVING them. The kitchen is about 70% complete. Please email if you have any questions. Pictures of the before and after can be seen at:
    www.fotki.com/CAphotos
    Kitch Prog
    Password: pics

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

Awesome! I am going with the JSI Georgetown. Cabinets will be ordered as soon as I get the hardwood floor installed into the kitchen.

I have seen kitchens of coworkers done in the Lexington and that was a close second choice for me.

I would LOVE to see photos, even in process.

Sue

• llll2008
    16 years ago

Has anyone used JSI Arlington or any other ivory/cream RTA cabinet? Thanks!

• jenellecal
    16 years ago

I ended up with cream maple, very similar to the Arlington. There very pretty. The paint quality is good and the glaze is OK for a "lower end" cabinet.

• auntiebubba
    16 years ago

jenellecal - I found this old thread you were part of and it has the owner of Kitchen Pro's contact info on it. Since he says to post here maybe you should also post your pictures here for everyone to see the quality of his product!!! Maybe the two threads will get their a&*@(@ moving on your problems.

• bethv
    16 years ago

The JSI factory is in Fall River MA. The address is:

485 Commerce Drive, Fall River, MA 02720

All of the displays are there and the cabinets are really lovely. However, they don't have full-extension drawers and only self-close not soft close. The drawers close hard/load.

I was working with Stacey at Woodlist.com. He got me an appointment to see them. Their site also has a good list of the cabinets and trims available with sketches. The price point is higher than Nieghbors, but Stacey said that was flexible. Their link is below.

I also went and saw the Kabinart cabinets that are available from mfkusa.com. They are great! There are lots of choices in doors, colors, cabinets and trim. The construction is top notch. The price is comparable to the JSI line.

Has any one used the Kraftmaid cabinet buyer that goes to the warehouse for you?

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodlist cabinets

• kitchenworld
    16 years ago

There are several people selling the identical JSI cabinets on ebay. I am sure the ones that do not tell you the manufacturer would confirm it if you emailed them. Then you would know you are comparing prices on the exact same cabinets.so compare the price yourself!

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen cabinets world

• michaeld12
    13 years ago

http://www.RTA-Cabinets.net
    JSI Cabinets,www.RTA-Cabinets.net 1-800-531-0290,Beacon Hill Cabinets,Georgetown Cabinets,Lexington Cabinets,Oak Island Cabinets,Sturbridge Cabinets,Wheaton Cabinets,Hanover,Rockport,
    Alabama,Alaska,Arizona,Arkansas,California,Colorado,Connecticut,Delaware,Florida,Georgia,Hawaii,Idaho,Illinois,Indiana,Iowa,Kansas,Kentucky ,Louisiana
    ,Maine,Maryland,Massachusetts,Michigan,Minnesota,Mississippi,Missouri,Montana,Nebraska,Nevada,,New Hampshire,New Jersey,New Mexico,New York,North Carolina,North Dakota,Ohio,Oklahoma ,Oregon,Pennsylvania,Rhode Island,South Carolina,South Dakota,Tennessee,Texas,Utah,Vermont,Virginia,Washington,West Virginia,Wisconsin,Wyoming

Here is a link that might be useful: JSI Cabinetry at www.RTA-Cabinets.net

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource