Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clarettekim

Help before I order the cabinets

clarettekim
9 years ago

I'd appreciate any advice before I finalize my cabinet order:

1. Microwave shelf - The shelf portion and microwave will stick out from the 12" wall cabinets about 3 inches - does that look odd to you? I think it's fine because it hides a bit behind the fridge anyway, but DH doesn't like it. Otherwise the microwave would have to go on the counter where it is now. We are trying to free up counter space but don't want it in the base cabinets or over the range.

2. Place for glass cabinets? We have read that they make the kitchen feel larger. There are two places we can put some. They could flank the oven hood or we can try to make the cabinets immediately next to the window the same (15 inch cabs) and make those glass. But then I'd probably have to make the left wall corner cabinet blind rather than easy-reach. Is it worth it?

Any thoughts?

Comments (9)

• rebunky
    9 years ago

Hi newbie,
    I'm sort of a newbie too. I just ordered my cabs and had the same dilemma as you with the microwave cab sticking out a few inches. Except I had it also flanking one side of the window above my sink and I had big time OCD with it not being symmetrical with the cabinet on other side of window. In our house we have the open concept and that window/sink wall is the main view from living room. Husband liked the micro there and thought it would look fine, but it just felt off to me having it not the same width or depth as the other side of window. So micro will go in our pantry.

That being said I would have no problem with your micro cab where it is, since it is somewhat hidden next to fridge and not on a main focal point wall. Only thing I would reconsider is making the two cabinets on either side of your window match and then go with glass in them. I think it would look very nice glass and I wouldn't care about having the blind corner. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

• anldsmom
    9 years ago

I don't think microwave cabinets look bad being deeper than the other wall cabinets, but I don't like when the microwave portion is deeper and the cabinets above are only 12" deep. I think it looks cleaner when the cabinet is the same depth as the microwave, plus you gain a little more cabinet space.

I would consider what you will store in the glass cabinets. Since the ones by the sink are more likely to hold attractive dishes and glasses, while the ones by the stove will probably hold spices and cooking oils, I would choose the window cabinets. They are also more in the primary focal point portion of your kitchen. I agree that making them the same size would look a lot better, though.

I like the look of glass, but the increased difficulty in cleaning them and needing the insides to look tidy made me rule them out in my own kitchen. The look wasn't worth it to me.

• AquaLove
    9 years ago

I don't like a microwave sticking out of a cabinet, although yours isn't bad since it's next to the refrigerator. GE makes a number of microwaves that can hang under a cabinet, that are only 12 3/4" deep, with models both 18 and 24 inches wide. I've had a 24" wide before, I'm going to downsize to an 18" wide in the kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Undercabinet Microwaves

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

I initially spec'd a micro shelf but switched to an cabinet under mount GE. I'm glad I switched. There's pros and cons to each. I also have most all glass uppers. I have enough lower storage that I knew it would work for me. Also consider that you can use pretty baskets to store your cooking items if you choose to put them next to your range. You don't have kitchen sight lines from other rooms, so I would put them where it makes sense and lightens the space, ie, glassware and pretty dishes. It does appear that they are not the same size cabs on either side of the window.. That may be more noticeable with glass. Have your kitchen designer mock it up several ways.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I used a GE spacemaker in my last home, but I also didn't like the microwave shelf sticking out so I designed it with a shelf that was the same depth as the cabinet above it -- I think it was actually a cabinet without doors, and finished on the inside since it would show. Here's a picture.

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

I second the suggestions of either choosing a MW that is designed to fit the depth of standard upper cabs or making the upper cabs above the MW the same depth as the MW.

It's difficult to suggest where to do glass cabinets since I don't know what you plan to store where. IOW, what will look nice behind glass cabinets. But if you plan to store dishes or glasses in the cabs around the sink, I'd put the glass cabs there and I'd make their sides next to the window glass as well, like this:

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Lititz Kitchen & Bath Designers Kitchens by Eileen

The other thing you could do to give your kitchen some display area and to make it appear more open is to put display shelves in the corners, like this:

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Morristown Interior Designers & Decorators Marlene Wangenheim AKBD, CAPS, Allied Member ASID

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by San Francisco Architects & Building Designers Gast Architects

You could also store cookbooks as sjhockeyfan did in her(his?) lovely kitchen.

btw, hollysprings, one of the KDs who hangs around GW, advised me against glass cabs on either side of my cook top unless I had a "vent that would suck the toupee off of Lorne Green." LOL! Anyhoo, I've linked to the discussion about glass cabs next to ranges for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass cabs on either side of hood?

• clarettekim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all the suggestions!

Sjhockeyfan, did your GE space maker MW fit into a 12" deep wall cabinet? Or did you make all your wall cabinets deeper? How deep?

Thank you!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

newbie, as I recall (it was awhile ago), the unit itself was just slightly deeper (front to back) than 12" (1/4"?) so it was in a regular upper cabinet without doors, and the front edge overlapped the edge of the cabinet. As you can see, though you couldn't tell.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

I installed a GE Spacemaker a few months ago. It may be a tad over 12" depth and needs a 24" wide cabinet. It aligns with my cabinet doors.

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions