Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawh707

Sink is in and we are LOVING the low divide/ smart divide!

kawh707
12 years ago

just wanted to report in. we are a few weeks (hopefully) from finishing and will post all pictures then. i have gotten so much help here-- where i discovered (many moons ago) low-divide sinks. (ok. we really wanted kohler stages-- but this is a very tight budget.)

found an undermount, stainless low-divide type sink on overstock by tycor for $100 (i don't see them there now-- sorry, as this seems to be a super high quality sink) and it is wonderful.

for those considering them, this is what we love 1 week in.

-versatility of 2 small or 1 large sink.

-if the sponge sits on the divider, it doesn't show from across the room.

-pan handles go right over

-one side seems to hold plenty of water for quick washings.

-if the water overflows one side, it's no big deal.

-it is very forgiving. we have lots of vintage pottery. used to accidentally knock it into the sink divider when washing-- now that just doesn't happen.

-our big platters fit easily-- and again-- minimal banging into the divide.

as much as i loved the sexy kohler-- this low divide sink is the right sink for us. we were nervous, but now couldn't be happier!

Comments (5)

• Capegirl05
    12 years ago

kawh...thanks! I have been thinking about this type of sink for our kitchen and wondered about all the PROS...I am needing to make decision about sink pretty darn quick! Any cons? Is it a 50/50? Glad that the decision you made was a good one and that you are enjoying it!

• ginny20
    12 years ago

Yay! Thank you so much for the validation. Mine is still in the garage waiting for the granite templating. You got an incredible deal - good for you! I didn't know Ticor made them. I spent 4x that much for an Elkay. Congratulations!

Capegirl - Mirabelle makes one as a 60-40.

• kawh707
    Original Author
    12 years ago

capegirl05- yes, it's a 50/50. we don't have a second sink (such as in an island) so really needed it to be 50/50 so we could effectively use both sides.

this is also our first undermount sink and, of course, i am just loving that i can just sweep the counter mess into the disposal side of the sink. had 'runnels' carved into the counter going to the sink, and love those too. now-- if only we can get our new cooktop to work!!

• Capegirl05
    12 years ago

It will be our first undermount as well...and I keep wavering between 50/50 which I have always had and 60/40 which is the latest and greatest. We will not have a prep sink in the island. I honestly do not think I would use it...it would be in the way. So, we designed the perimeter for prep and the island for seating and layout area for food...how about you all? My DW will be on the left of the sink, unfortunately (had to switch it when we went to decide on the layout of the cabinets)...Should I put my disposal on the left hand side?
    Thanks...Capegirl

• kawh707
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sorry so late getting back. we've been finishing up the kitchen and crazy busy. capegirl-- i can't think of any 'cons' except maybe that this particular sink has a stopper that catches water in the top. stupid design... when the stopper just sits in the sink waiting to be used, it catches water in the top. somehow, that grosses me out. but that's not really about the low divide sink-- so no. we really just love everything about it.

our dishwasher is also on the left-- just had to be because of this and that. don't mind though... from right to left, we have garbage drawer, sink with disposal on the left, then dishwasher. works really well. no problem.
    let us all know how yours turns out.
    -kawh707