Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yesdear_gw

1930 Spanish kitchen...98% complete! Photos.

yesdear
15 years ago

Hi GWers, DW and I have marveled at the beautiful work others have shown here. We were very grateful for the nice comments on our preview photo posted a couple of weeks ago.

And now...the range went in yesterday with the help of 5 burly guys and suddenly we are 98% done. Only some touch-up painting and installation of the DW panel, spice cab door and glass for the glass-front cabinet left to go.

When we are at 100% I'll post a gallery including "before" (yuk) and in-progress. I'll also include the new laundry area, at the extreme far end of these photos. For now, see below for shots of the kitchen. We made a few concessions to modernity, e.g., sacrificing the butler's pantry for 5 more feet of galley length and opening up the arch in the foreground--it used to be a narrow mahogany swinging door. Yet we wanted a kitchen worthy of our grand old Spanish Colonial Revival home. We think she is happy! Details at the very bottom.

Range - CornuFe in basic black.

Frig - Liebherr 60" built-in.

DW - Miele Optima with panel front. Panel is still at the paint shop.

Cabinets - locally made face-frame of birch with inset panel & bead detail on doors, melamine interiors, Blumotion hinges and all the internal bells & whistles.

Countertops - Brazilian Black soapstone, not oiled yet, with radiused corners and eased edge. Runnels by the sink. Mahogany top on the beadboard hutch.

Sinks - Rohl Shaws original 30" apron and 15" undermount prep with ISE Evolution disposers.

Faucets - Kohler Vinnata (K-690, K-691)in brushed nickel.

Cab hardware - "Duluth" 6" pulls and 1.25" knobs in brushed nickel from Restoration Hardware.

Appliance pulls - Top Knobs 12" pulls in BN. The DW will have one mounted horizontally--also serves as towel rack!

Floors - Original 1930 tongue-in-groove fir, sanded, repaired and refinished after removing 2 layers of linoleum.

Windows - Custom arched 3-lite pull casement, based on a ~1930 design I saw in the neighborhood.

Lighting - Schoolhouse Electric, all fluorescent GU24 except the pendants (too small for GU24 bulbs). Different ceiling mounts in kitchen, pantry and laundry.

Hood - Best PIK 45 with custom arched drywall enclosure and remote switch.

Tile Mural - our little secret! (JK, it's from Tierra y Fuego in San Diego.)

Backsplash - custom 2.5 x 5" Chardonnay color handmade subway by Ken Mason.

Paint - all BM, Country Lane green accent, Ivory White wall base color, Lemon Chiffon on cabs and trim.

Our CKD is Dana Jones, "The Kitchen Consultant," in Long Beach, CA. Our vision + Dana's creativity and attention to detail (this is Version 7 of the plan!) + our GC Bob Kaplan's superb and flexible execution = a nice result. We are well over time but pretty darn close to budget. We learned a LOT here. Hope you like it!

Comments (99)

• annes_arbor
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is an absolutely spectacular remodel. I agree that it's one of the best on GW and that you should have it pictured in a magazine. Your respect for the character of your amazing house is obvious.

Just two questions: What are the dimensions of the kitchen? And how do you like cooking on the CornuFe?

AA

• na_praha
    15 years ago

Absolutely spectaculer. Every detail is just so perfect, and I admire your bold color scheme. Enjoy!

• yesdear
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so much!! We are humbled by your kind comments as we feel very fortunate that we have been entrusted with this home for 12 happy years. (Yes, folks, yours truly managed to drag his feet for more than a decade before pulling the trigger on the big reno!) Our brilliant KD is keen to get this published, so stay tuned.

In the planning process, we learned so much from the wisdom of fellow GWers. Lots of big things. And the little things too! Make no mistake, there are two air switches, a Tapmaster and a NeverMT in there. Also an HD TV with recessed bracket and concealed mini-amplifier feeding a stereo speaker in the ceiling. Yes, "a" stereo speaker with one woofer and two tweeters--Niles makes it.

Farmhousebound, I double checked the measurements. The kitchen is 18.5' long and the Schoolhouse Electric luminaires are spaced 4' on center (= 3 joist bays). Our plumbing contractor commented to DW that he could have made do with two fixtures. True enough. But that is why he is a plumber and not a KD--no offense to his noble trade. :-)

• yesdear
    Original Author
    15 years ago

P.S. Annes_arbor, I saw your questions after posting.

The kitchen is 18.5 x 9.75'; the pantry is another 7' long and the laundry another 8', with an exterior door. There is a hallway coming off the pantry that leads to a bath and bedroom. The room adjacent to the beadboard hutch is our breakfast room. The formal dining room adjoins the arch in the foreground of the first photo. Total project involved gutting 350 sf to the studs, reframing, rewiring and replumbing. Quite a leap of faith!

We have yet to do any serious cooking on the CornuFe. (Soon!) It is a beauty and it feels very "industrial strength." Unfortunately, we had some issues with the U.S. distributor and local retailer that we will detail in another thread. Long story short: they really don't deserve your business.

• annes_arbor
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for the information, yesdear. I look forward to the thread regarding the CornuFe. Ok, now, related to your next to last post--what is a "recessed" bracket? I'm just getting ready to hang a flat screen, and could use advice.

• yesdear
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, slightly OT--the contractor was able to create a space within the wall where the swing-arm bracket can reside--thus the TV is almost flush with the wall when retracted. We found that professional A/V guys are all over this stuff.

• annes_arbor
    15 years ago

Thanks!

• TxMarti
    15 years ago

Incredible! Your kitchen is better than I've seen in any magazine in a very long time. I know you are relieved to get it done and hope you enjoy using it as much as I've enjoyed looking at it.

• scootermom
    15 years ago

Wow.

Can't think of anything else to say, everybody else has covered it. I could spend a lot of time looking at this kitchen and drinking in all the detail.

Wow.
    !!!

• rosalita
    15 years ago

Stunning! I love your kitchen's architecture and details. Just the mouldings alone are fabulous. This would be a standout in any of the high end kitchen magazines. Watch out - they'll be calling on you I'm sure! Congratulations on the super fine job.

• arlosmom
    15 years ago

wow wow wow wow wow.

I love it when people know their old houses are truly special (I'm blessed to be one of them). Your kitchen is absolutely beautiful and so respoectful to an old spanish home. Your tresure of a house is grinning ear to ear right now. She knows you think she's special. :)

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for your responses regarding your lighting - it has been a great help for DH and I. It helped me convince DH that the lights would really look good in a straight line rather than staggered down the space - so thanks again!! We are guessing that the light shade itself is a 12"?

Will add my plea for pics for the rest of the house - can't wait to see as the kitchen turned out so gorgeous!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Question--were the windows in the kitchen original to the house? They are gorgeous--sorry, can't stop looking at the details of your kitchen. They appear to have the side windows open and the middle is stationary?

Did you remodel any of the space for the pantry and laundry room? Can we see pictures? Is the pantry between the kitchen and laundry room?

How do you find the space between the cab and the runnels for the sink? It is adequate for your clean dishes? I know you are just getting back into the space so you may not have "broken in" the kitchen yet. I am curious. You have to understand, I haven't (until my remodel) used a dishwasher (other than myself) for about 30 years. The new ones are so fantastic and you can put so much more in them than in the "old" days.

• simoneb
    15 years ago

WOW. You have done a phenomenal (!!!) job. Your kitchen is stunning. Light and airy AND warm, all at the same time. And your attention to detail is just perfect. LOVE it. Drooling!

By the way, where did you get your schoolhouse semi-flush lights. They are adorable!

• jaymielo
    15 years ago

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. Absolutely perfect. I love the green paint, the handmade subways and the range mural. Absolutely fabulous! I can't wait to see more! Enjoy your beautiful space! Jaymie

• vitta_2008
    15 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous. I love your range and backsplash (mural). Great selection of paint color. You did a great job!! Enjoy it and USE IT!!!!!!!! Robin

• coffeebreak
    15 years ago

Holy Smokes! That is a stunning kitchen! Congratulations! All your hard work paid off... big time!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

So much detail that works so perfectly together. It's so elegant, but also feels like a great place to work in...Just beautiful. I'm sure you'd be doing the happy dance without all these compliments...You just have to walk into that room. Dance away and enjoy, and start cooking! :-)

• janefan
    15 years ago

Just adding to the accolades...and drooling, drooling, drooling. Everything in your kitchen is wonderful, but I really love the details that make it truly one-of-a-kind, like the pass-through arch by your range. It's simply stunning!!

• dcclerk
    15 years ago

Yesdear, I so desperately wanted to use your KD when I spoke to her briefly. If only her wait wasn't so long. She does phenomonal work!! You have so many details that we plan to use in our kitchen... soapstone, Rohl sink, Cornufe, etc. makes me know that she would have done a phenomonal job of bringing it together for us.

I cannot say enough about your beautiful kitchen it is warm, inviting, and striking all at the same time. And, it is definitely NOT cookie cutter!

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Yowza! What a delicious space! Now THAT's a kitchen.

Having spent the last 3 days on hands and knees refinishing my own 1923 fir kitchen floor, you have given me just the inspiration I needed to get through the final gawdawful finish coat today. If it can look even half as nice as yours, I'll consider it a success. Thank you, thank you! :)

Now get in there and LOVE your amazing house. Drool...

• dcclerk
    15 years ago

I would love to hear about the Cornufe situation since I have already gone to Purcell Murray for a test drive and just need to figure out who to buy it from. Any suggestions both toward or away would be very appreciated!

• shelayne
    15 years ago

WOW!size=+5>

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Another vote for "perfect!"

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

Spectacular!

Love your backsplash sooooooo much. Also love your Cornufe. Mine will be installed on Wednesday. (Allegedly, I'll believe it when I see it.)

Congratulations!

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

Drop.Dead.Gorgeous
    Absolutely stunning.

• mindimoo
    15 years ago

It's an ABSOLUTE JOY to see your FABULOUSLY GORGEOUS Kitchen! I'm not sure there are enough adjectives to properly convey how wonderful a job you did and sticking with the character and age of your home. WELL DONE!

• yesdear
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wowee!! Thank you all.

Simoneb and farmhousebound--The ceiling flushmounts are Schoolhouse Electric's 'Northwestern' in a 6" fitter size. The custard shade that goes with them is easy to find if you search "shades" and then "custard color" on their site. They supply the dimensions in the item descriptions. Another good option for a lower ceiling is the Orion flushmount.

Mustbnuts--The windows are brand new, based on a period design that I saw on another home a few blocks away. The center lite is fixed and the side lites open in--that is termed a "pull casement" window. The project did include the pantry (behind the arch in background) and the laundry area (behind the pantry, with French door between pantry and laundry). The short runnels are adequate for draining the odd dish, but DW finds the Rohl sink grid super-helpful in that regard.

Dcclerk--We were fooled by the CornuFe product literature that cites 'satin chrome' trim on the range. We ordered all the fixtures and hardware in satin chrome and nothing matched. It's actually brushed nickel. We had to return or exchange what we could but were out several hundred dollars. Neither Purcell Murray (the exclusive US dsitributor for CornuFe) nor Friedmans Appliances would take any responsibility for the screw-up. We were very, very disappointed and will not do business with either one in the future.

Jeannie_kitchen--That bit of unpleasantness aside, the CornuFe is a beauty and you will enjoy yours for sure!

Circuspeanut--Keep the faith on that old fir floor! Refurbishing great old stuff is its own reward.

• laurap_2007
    15 years ago

Every detail is gorgeous!

• simoneb
    15 years ago

Thank you for sharing where you got your amazing lights. I am in love with EVERYTHING on the schoolhouse electric site. I can't wait for my husband to come home so I can share my picks with him!!! Yahoo! Thank you, thank you!

• choux
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is an inspiration! Absolutely beautiful. Enjoy!!

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness, this is just gorgeous! Seriously, its perfect in every way!!!!

• abbycat9990
    15 years ago

Gorgeous! You have all the luxurious high-end touches in such a simple, unpretentious setting. I love it. Looks so intentional and is SUCH a great example of working with your space rather than cramming in a bunch o' stuff. Really inspirational. Love the mix of solid door fronts with the wine rack, glass doors and the plate frame thing...Lots of negative space exposed. You and your KD really turned out a winner here. And that green--so fresh! Aren't Aura paints the best?

• julienpete
    15 years ago

Stunning!!!! It looks like it has been there forever!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful kitchen! So well done. Magazine worthy!!!

• mjsee
    15 years ago

Thank you for staying true to the spirit of your house. I see so many kitchens in old homes that just don't "fit"...yours does. Well done.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Well, what can I say that has not already been said?? There is nothing left!! Your kitchen is truely a work of art. You must be so thrilled with the results. Thank you for sharing it with all of us!!

• simoneb
    15 years ago

If you're still out there, I just wanted to say thanks for the schoolhouse electric tip -- just got a pretty painted shade from them -- exciting! Also, I showed my hubby your pics and he was drooling... I've never actually seen him do that. Mostly it's, "yeah, that's nice." He was like, "I LOVE this kitchen." I thought that was great and wanted to share :-)

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Have you oiled your Brazilian Black soapstone yet? Do you have any pics if you oiled it? My DH reacted the same way as simoneb's!

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Thank you for bringing this back to the top, I missed the first time and am thrilled to enjoy seeing this work of art today!

• yesdear
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi simoneb, pluckymama and bodica--

(Blush) We continue to bask in the adulation of our fellow GWers. Thanks guys! You are mitigating the pain of the 25% haircut that our retirement accounts have taken over the last few months. Good thing we agreed on this reno before the big dump in the the markets, otherwise we would be stuck with a dysfunctional, ugly kitchen AND depleted 401k's.

No, we haven't oiled the soapstone. We are still enjoying its native appearance.

We are now at 99.5% completion and awaiting final inspection (and final bill!). More pix to come once we have all ducks in a row.
    Hugs to you all, and may our beloved nation overcome this crisis quickly so we can continue to be TKO!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Yesdear,
    I have to tell you, your forum name makes me smile. When my DH and I got married, our pastor said to my husband "the secret to a happy marriage is to just say yes dear". I'd love to hear the reason for your moniker.

Also, I'd love to hear about your Brazilian Black soapstone. I believe it is one of the harder soapstones less prone to scratching and chipping. Is it really smooth to touch? It looks dark even w/o oil.

Love your beautiful backsplash too! Actually love everything about your kitchen. One of my favorites :)

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I just love your kitchen that is truly a work of art and renovated with love. Your hardwood floors are gorgeous and go so well with your kitchen. Thanks for sharing.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

yesdear...
    I am an absolute fan of your kitchen.
    How much space is on each side of range?
    Now that you are using the space, does it feel like enough?
    Love your kitchen!
    vic

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

Stunningly. Awesomely. Gorgeous!!!!!

I am a huge fan of old, but not a fan of Spanish. Your kitchen, however, has opened my eyes to how truly beautiful Spanish design can be.

Wow. Beyond that, I'm speechless!!!!

• yesdear
    Original Author
    15 years ago

vicnsb--

Glad you like it! There is an 18" landing area on either side of the range. Yes, it's enough.

• timber.j
    15 years ago

Breathtaking! I am drooling over your kitchen-it is just beautiful!

• kayec28
    15 years ago

I looove your kitchen. You've taken some basic elements, wood floors, white cabinets, soapstone counters, simple white backsplash, and made them something wonderful and unique. As others have noted, it's all about the attention to detail and a wonderful design to start with. Yours is the type of kitchen that will linger in my memory years from now.

I noticed the paint color for your cabinets is lemon chiffon, which sounds like it would be yellow, and yet your cabinets look white. What color is lemon chiffon exactly and why that color choice?

Also, nothing to do with your kitchen, but I also noticed your French door. I'm having a hard time finding French doors with the minimal lites and horizontal lines like yours. Can you tell me what company made your door?

• yesdear
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi bluemoon28 and timber.j,

I missed your posts, sorry for the delay.

Bluemoon--"Lemon Chiffon" is a nice, creamy BM off-white with a very slightly yellow hue for warmth. We looked at a bunch of different colors with our KD and that one fit our vision the best. It goes nicely with the "Chardonnay" color backsplash (Ken Mason Tile, Long Beach, CA) and the BM "Cloud White" walls.

Our GC ordered the French door through B&B Hardware in Long Beach, CA. I don't have the name of the supplier, but do remember that they had a catalog of quite a few uncommon configurations. The one we picked matches an existing door in the family room of our 1930 home. Fabrication took about 6 weeks.

Thanks to you both for your kind comments. Glad you like it! We are thankful every day that we were able to get this done.

• starpooh
    15 years ago

May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog?
    If so please submit the FKB Category Checklist so I can add categories to your kitchen.
    (I will also need to add a new category - Style:Spanish :-)
    Thank you so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist