Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
realhousewifeofnj

RealHousewifeofNJ's dark cherry kitchen reveal!!

First of all I want to thank all of you for the tremendous help you have given me with this process. It's DONE!! I can't tell you how happy I am to say that because it was a literal nightmare getting to this point! For those of you still going through it, hang in there. The end result is SO worth it!

The Details:
Cabinets: Kraftmaid Cherry in Kaffee Stain - 48" uppers
Countertop (main): Astoria granite
Backsplash (main): Travertine
Countertop (coffee area): Stainless Steel from Frigo
Backsplash (coffee area) Stainless Steel from Frigo
Refrigerator and Beverage refrigerator: Sub-Zero
Built in Coffee Maker: Bosch
Double Oven, 5 burner cooktop and Microwave: Viking
DIshwasher: Jenn-Air Dish Drawers
Sink: Kohler Bakersfield
Faucet: Moen Woodmere
Lighting: Savoy House

Comments (56)

• romy718
    9 years ago

Really lovely & it doesn't look dark at all, especially the first couple of pictures.
    Your finishes all work so well together & we all know how difficult that can be.
    Your coffee area turned out beautifully. It looks great at the end of that run of cabinets. Love all the stainless with the dark rich wood.

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

I agree that the coffee center looks great. A nice complement, different but compatible, to the rest of the kitchen which is gorgeous.

I know you are going to love cooking here.

• SparklingWater
    9 years ago

Very nicely done! Like your selections of colors. Did you do under cabinet lights? Your coffee/drink area is a winner.

• vdinli
    9 years ago

So rich and inviting!! Glad to hear you found a great solution to your counter top problem.
    Enjoy your new space.

• my_four_sons
    9 years ago

Love that beverage center, so great! Congrats on a lovely finished product.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Really nice!

• dcward89
    9 years ago

I've been watching for this reveal ever since the beverage center countertop thread. The stainless was the perfect solution for that area. Your kitchen is beautiful! I could really enjoy working on that long expanse of beautiful granite on your island!! Hope you enjoy it all!!!

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Wahoo! Finished! It looks great and I love your granite!

• brightm
    9 years ago

Another who's been waiting for your reveal. I agree, the stainless looks great in the coffee station. I love your light above your island! And, of course, everything else. Congrats on surviving!

• sixkeys
    9 years ago

Stunning! Congrats!!!

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Oh my that is just gorgeous! I remember some of your dilemmas and it's just perfect in every way. I hope you will enjoy it for many wonderful years.

• kksmama
    9 years ago

Love the beverage station and stainless counter, the window, and the overall elegance of your cabinets and materials. Congratulations!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I *love* the cherry cabs! Gorgeous kitchen. Who makes the hood?

• Lisa
    9 years ago

OMG, I love, love, love the coffee area so much! I wish I had a spot for one in my kitchen. I especially love that it's in its own little area. I also love your hood, island light fixture, and your cabinets are gorgeous! How tall are they?

• mgmum
    9 years ago

It looks fantastic!

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Your cabinets are so warm & inviting w/ the travertine. I'm jealous of your coffee/beverage station. Wish my kitchen had room for one. And your hood....perfect! Enjoy!

• Amy Sumner
    9 years ago

So rich and warm. Like others said, the coffee area turned out beautifully. I know you will love it! Well done...

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! We are over the moon with it! LOVE how the beverage center turned out. And the granite. We were originally going to go with a whiter granite and white subways and I am glad we didn't. I think the white would have clashed with the floor tile and these cabinets needed something next to them with warmth.

SparklingWater, we do not have under cabinet lighting. In the eat in area there is a large sliding door. The kitchen is also open to the 2 story great room (we took down an existing half wall) with lots of windows so there is plenty of light.

Mags - The hood is also Kraftmaid. I believe it is their cove style hood.

Lcskaigir - The uppers are 48". The celings are 9'. The cabinets are TALL! Even my 6'0" husband can only reach the first two shelves. I definitely need to purchase an attractive step ladder! Cannot believe how much storage there is and I have 3 full sets of everyday dishes.

Thanks again!

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I love how the coffee station turned out. The stainless is the perfect material for such an area prone to stains. What a happy turn of chance that was. Congratulations.

• Lisa
    9 years ago

Now I see that you already mentioned that they were 48" in your original post. Sorry!

I have 9' ceilings as well and I never considered doing 48" cabinets because I figured they wouldn't look good. But I love yours and wish I would've considered that option!

• msmagoo
    9 years ago

Beautiful, love the dark cabs with the light counters. I have a very similar layout with a door where yours is, but am not sure if I have the width for an island. Can you tell me the width of your space wall to wall in the area? It would really help me visualize my space better.
    Thanks so much,

• User
    9 years ago

How did I miss this reveal?! It turned out beautifully. I, like so many others, am especially taken with the coffee station. All really nice!

• countryatheart
    9 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I love the dark wood, but would love to have seen the island or possibly the coffee center in an ivory glazed cab, just to break it up a bit.

Enjoy cooking in your gorgeous new kitchen~will make everything taste better! ;)

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all!!

Msmagoo, The kitchen is 14'8 wide. The island is 36" across.

PattyCakes - While I love different islands or two different cabinets in other people's kitchens, it's not really for me. Thank you though! :)

• heritagehd07
    9 years ago

Lovely kitchen. While I don't drink coffee, I have to say I'm really envious of the beverage center as it is so cool looking. The stainless is the perfect countertop for that area and really sets it apart.

• eli2009
    9 years ago

love your kitchen!

This post was edited by eli2009 on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 1:18

• cinjos
    9 years ago

Nothing clever to add - everyone already said it!

Love it - enjoy every minute!!!

• purrus
    9 years ago

oh man, that's beautiful. I LOVE the beverage/snack center!!! LOVE it!

• purrus
    9 years ago

oh man, that's beautiful. I LOVE the beverage/snack center!!! LOVE it!

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Fabulous room. Everything looks so convenient. Smart island with sitting possibilities at each end. Perfect. smart smart smart, easy to cook in. Enjoy

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Very nice! I really love the layout of the wall with the fridge and ovens on it - looks gorgeous! Enjoy your new kitchen!! :)

• anitaladyrose
    9 years ago

Wow!!!!!
    What a beautiful kitchen! I love the dark cabinets with the light counter tops and light floor. I think it looks very welcoming and classic. We plan to do the same in our home.

By the way, would you be willing to share the information about the floor tile? It's perfect! I imagine you will enjoy spending time such a great kitchen! Congratulations.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Beverage center - SS counter, that's what I need! DH always spills coffee when pouring!

Love the dark wood and light hard surfaces (countertops, backsplash, floor - all). The island looks so nice - do you mind me asking why you didn't go with same edge on perimeter?

• Ivan I
    9 years ago

Could you take another picture of your beverage center with especially the backsplash and countertop in focus?

• boystown
    9 years ago

WOW, stunning kitchen. Everything works so well together. Wish I could squeeze in a coffee station, but it is not possible. What is the wall color? It sure makes those pretty cabinets stand out. Great Job

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! A month later and I still can't believe it's mine. Here are a couple of sharper pictures of the beverage center. LOVE IT! The built in coffee maker was definitely a splurge, but I use it every day and the coffee is delicious and so creamy! I even stopped using sweetener bc of how good it tastes. I highly recommend them!

To answer some questions, the floor tile is original to our 15 year old house. I did not want to deal with ripping up the tile and I have a hard time doing away with things that are perfectly functional so we kept it. In fact, I planned the colors of the granite and backsplash around the floor tile. I believe the tile is porcelain tile from Daltile.

The two different granite edges came about because my husband thought my original plan of having eased edges would be too plain. He really wanted Ogee because he thought the cabinets were more formal and it was warranted. So we compromised. I thought I would hate the Ogee (thought it may look too 90's) and I actually love it. And he thought he would hate the eased and he really likes it. So happy hubby & wife = happy life, lol.

The paint color is Sherwin Williams Canvas Tan. A really nice light tan that goes with white trim and is neither too warm or too cool.

Thanks again!

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more picture of the beverage center from the side. Again the Frigo Design for the stainless counters and backsplash was amazing! Even more since you have to provide your own measurements and it was mail order. I would use them for another stainless project in a heartbeat!

• CrystalHolder
    9 years ago

Hey there. Can you tell me the height of your floor to ceiling as well as the height of your interior doors please?

I have an open floor plan with 8ft doors headed out to the patio. Our plan calls for 10ft ceilings with 8ft interior doors.

Thanks.

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi! We have 9 foot ceilings in the kitchen. Doors with trim are 7 foot. So 10 ft. with 8 ft. doors sounds right.

• Redhead0124
    9 years ago

I am wondering what type of kitchen table do you have. We recently remodeled our kitchen in dark cherry cabinetry (and I love it!), but am having a hard time finding a table for my eating area.
    TIY

• ratsmrs
    9 years ago

Wow

• Ariana123
    9 years ago

I like the color very much! It looks very good with light tile and it makes very comfortable and warm atmosphere. Kitchen made with genuine wood may be very useable. I really want the same.

• Hopworks
    9 years ago

What an amazingly beautiful and wonderfully functional kitchen layout and design! I want to cook there!!! Certainly inspires ideas. I gotta keep my wife from seeing this! At least until tax time next year. hehehe

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you!! The kitchen table is actually from my husband's dining room set from his bachelor pad house before we were married! I'm lucky he had great taste because it goes perfectly!

• lazygirl78
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Is that the 42" french-door fridge from Sub-zero? I have one on order but it was kind of a leap of faith. Do you like it?

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's the 36" French Door - LOVE it!! So much useable space, even the in the freezer. (And I had a Samsung CD French door previously). I can imagine the 42" has much more room - you will be pleased!

• lazygirl78
    9 years ago

Thanks for your response! We have a 36" Kenmore CD fridge, and I love it, but I am looking forward to more space! Congrats on finishing such a beautiful and functional space.

• boysmom
    9 years ago

very pretty! i agree with all the others, the beverage corner is a great idea. love the stainless!
    it must make day-to-day cooking a joy.
    congrats!

• margo456
    9 years ago

Love your kitchen!
    I want to do a dark cherry kitchen also - although mine is a LOT smaller than yours :)