Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amarantha_gw

need help w/ integrated DW panels with furniture feet on cabinets

amarantha
13 years ago

Hi,

I've done a search but haven't found anything and would appreciate some help in using a fully integrated DW panel in cabinets that are inset and have furniture feet. The designer/cabinetmaker says that when you open the DW the panel will hit the foot. He says the solution is to use DW drawers.

The link below is a simple drawing of my cabinet below. Let me know if I need to clarify anything.

1st drawing is a top view of the cabinetry run on an outside corner of the kitchen (windows on both walls). The sink is centered under a triple casement window and the sink cabinet is "bumped in/stepped back" (probably ~ 3").

2nd drawing is front elevation

cabinets are square inset

drawers  flat panel

door fronts Âfairly simple recessed panel with a quarter round on interior panel.

furniture feet

will be painted on site

Sink cabinet to be "bumped in / set back"

30" soapstone sink  (will have a board under the sink  I forget the name of it)

soapstone counter.

Total cabinet length is 8 ft (possibly slightly more). The open finished cabinet on the right (in the corner) will need to be sized smaller  probably 10" or less for the sink to be centered under the window. That extra length will be added to the left side cabinet for slightly wider drawers.

FYI- windows on wall behind sink measure (trim to trim) 77" and on adjacent wall measures 53". Trim is 10" from the wall corner.

My dilemma is the integrated DW panel  the cabinet maker said he doesnÂt think he can make it work with the furniture feet  the DW front would hit the furniture feet. He suggested Fisher Paykel dishdrawers to solve this issue.

What do you all think? Can you use a conventional DW panel instead of the drawers?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (9)

• pence
    13 years ago

I have the exact same set up. there are no feet on my DW and because the cabinets to either side of the DW do have feet, you do NOT even notice it. You also need to be able to get the DW out of its little cubby for service, don't forget. Here's a suggestion though. Have your carpenter cut a piece of toe kick (the color of your cabinets) and velcro it to the bottom of the DW. It will blend in even more, and when you need to service it, rip the toekick off. As long as that area of your particular DW isn't used for venting or something, it should be fine.

• amarantha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your reply pence. Would you be able to post a photo? I searched for you in FKB and didn't find you. I'm trying to envision what you describe about the toe kick and lack of feet on that area.

By the way, what brand of DW did you go with? I know to look at Miele, Bosch, not sure about Asko?

Any other help from others is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

I love furniture feet and have ogee feet on my sink base. Maybe you should just do the sink base and let that be the star. When I first did my plan I had feet everywhere. I had to take some out or it would have been overkill. Here is a link to my sink base.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• pence
    13 years ago

amarantha,

sorry I am not in the FKB, I did my kitchen 5 years ago and never learned how to post the pics. One of these days...

anyway, i just went and looked at that section of my kitchen. I have the feet just like you've drawn on the sink base but then the cabinet to the left only has the left foot and the cabinet to the right of the sink (and DW) only has a right foot. So it all looks good together and like michelle said not too many feet!

5 years ago, Bosch had what I wanted, hidden controls, stainless interior and quiet, quiet, quiet. the Asko and Miele were a few hundred dollars more so i went with the Bosch, no complaints.

One more thing, I looked at your picture again and the birds eye view looks like you have the sink recessed from the cabinet to the left and the DW. is that true? If it is, you are going to have to have some kind of DW panel on the left side of your DW as they are not finished on the sides

Good luck

• vpierce
    13 years ago

We have exactly what Pence does....

• amarantha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pence, thanks so very much for following up. I understand about the picture thing - I had to teach myself how to set up a photobucket account yesterday to post this - took me a while but there is some great help in the Read Me thread! Thanks buehl!

I will rethink the feet issue - maybe eliminating those 2 feet like you suggest? It's just that I really want this piece to look unique and different than my other cabinets - at this point the island has beaded inset (salvaged cabinets that will be painted) I also am aware that we'll need that panel on the left side of DW but thanks for noticing that.

Thanks vicki and michellemarie for suggestion and photos.

I'll try to post some inspiration photos.

Anyone else have thoughts? - really trying to get this worked out soon to give the cabinetmaker the go ahead.

Thanks!

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

hi there,
    Perhaps a picture would help - here's my dishwasher swung down - as you can see, if there were feet there they'd get crushed or block the panel's swing.

I put legs on the sides of the sink and pullout trash run and it seems to work OK with the 'legless' dishwasher next to it.
    Lousy pic with weird lighting on the cabinet finish, but to get the sense of the whole run:

• amarantha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks circupeanut! pictures really are worth a thousand words. Love your cabinets and your stove and counters...

I do need to think about the feet and maybe limiting them. The dishwasher drawer is an option - have read the Appliance forum and seems that Fisher Paykel is the one to get - some there have posted issues about them though - not cleaning as well as a "regular" dishwasher, limited space for big items, repair service inconsistent... I'm not sure I want to commit to the drawers (with the custom panels) then have to replace later.

• Fori
    13 years ago

I like my drawer dishwasher. The only problems I've had were after a terrible plumber hurt it. I'm on my second one. (Second house--the first didn't die!)

If feet are very important to you, you could do a lot worse. There are other brands of drawer DWs now as well.