Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catsrme

Contemporary Cabinets & Rustic Furniture

catsrme
9 years ago

Hi all! I've been searching the forums but haven't found my exact quandry: we are thinking of buying a house that has contemporary, dark stained kitchen cabinets and a mottled white/gray/black countertop. The problem is, it's an open floor plan, and our furniture (and personal taste) is all lighter wood, such as unfinished pine, and warm, earthy colors. Trying to figure out how to: (1) make these cabinets and countertop become friends with our earthy stuff, or (2) do something to distress the cabinets so they aren't so sleek, if that makes sense. Ideally, totally refinishing would be great, but cost prohibitive for now. Thanks for any genius ideas!

Comments (10)

• catsrme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a pic from before countertops were installed (obviously ;).

• nepool
    9 years ago

I'm not one to think that every room has to match perfectly with other rooms. In this case, I don't think these cabinets are THAT contemporary (they are not slab with ultra modern handles nor glossy finished). Do you like the flooring (is it hardwood, tile?). Is there a backsplash? If not, you could add a tumbled backsplash. How about light fixtures (what is there now?) Sorry- this photo doesn't really tell us what style the room is right now. You can go more traditional or more modern with these cabinets, depending on how its finished/decorated.

• brightm
    9 years ago

I agree with nepool. I see these as transitional and they could go either more traditional or more modern with the rest of the 'stuff'.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I see them as a very simple traditional. I think the wood makes them even more warm and slightly more traditional, at least in the photo.

I agree you could go either way with your furnishings.

Nice kitchen!

• schicksal
    9 years ago

IMO it's contemporary if only by the definition that is currently in style. To me it also appears a bit traditional, but that leads me back to how I define contemporary (current, and not within a historical design style).

Anyway it'll probably be fine with your stuff.

• thepeppermintleaf
    9 years ago

Maybe you could take a pic of how the kitchen looks now? You can add in elements into the kitchen which are more rustic, for example new hardware or rustic looking light fixtures. It is a pretty kitchen!

• eleena
    9 years ago

I wouldn't call these cabinets "contemporary" - at least, not Houzz-contemporary. To me, these are traditional Shaker cabinets.

I have a friend who has similar cabinets and a light wood dinner table next to it and it looks great. The table is not rustic like in "knotty pine" rustic but is quite traditional. It might be that the chair upholstery and the placemats tie them together, I cannot remember.

It is hard to answer your question without pix of the furniture. Nice kitchen, btw!

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

I bet if you hung some cool rustic looking pendants and maybe get some maple or lighter wood bar stools it would help bring the rooms together. World Market has some cute stuff on sale right now...

You could also consider (**gasp**) painting those cabinets white or light grey - with the black/white counters that would look kinda french country farmish which lends itself well to the rustic aesthetic. Good luck on your purchase!

Here is a link that might be useful: World Market Pendant

• catsrme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! I see your points...I guess I was considering them more contemporary just because of the darker color; clearly, I am no decorator, lol. I do need to get in there and take some pics with the countertops and lighting (they've marked spots for lights over the bar area, but I need to find out if they're for pendants or recessed...love those World Market pendants). The floors are hardwood, stained a honey shade, so that helps. Deciding whether or not to make the offer tonight....yikes :) Hard to leave a home of 15 years (and also probably why I'm having trouble visualizing anything new).

• heidihausfrau
    9 years ago

My cabinets are a similar shade--maybe a little lighter. They are 3 feet away from my stacked stone fireplace and old barn timber mantle. I like the look, very much :)