Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Island Granite Support - Invisible

Posted by miruca (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 16:15

One more request by me .. below is the island plan and I need invisible supports. The week delay in granite template is pushing me to learn and consolidate all information possible. I've done a number of GW searches on this topic - and have seen or received some info on invisible supports ... but need more down and dirty specific's or product recommendations.

Aslo,as always, I've found real pictures speak volumes to contractors that say "it can't be done or it is way too complicated to do ... or nobody does that really".

Here's the plan and spec's on the island:
4' x 6'4
16" overhang on one of the 4' ends
16" overhang for 4' of one of 6'4 sides.
Contractor built 8" x 36" support aligns to the back of the 36" cabinet providing for the 16" overhang.

photo Islandplan_zps3c2314c0.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Island Granite Support - Invisible

Since you don't have any wall structure to secure to, there two types of brackets that you can use to secure to the cabinets themselves. The first one doesn't look as strong, since it is just flat plate supporting the overhang. The other two look to have a T or L cross section.

Federal Brace Island Countertop Support Bracket:

Counter Balance Island Bracket:

Counter Balance X Bracket:

o

Thank you. This good information in addition to a June post I just found and will try to link here for others.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hidden Countertop Support Brackets

o

Keep in mind that someone will have to modify the cabinets to accept the brackets. The top of the brackets needs to be in line with the top of the cabinets. Some granite fabricators, like the one we used, will not install the support brackets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here