Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitobsessed

OT -- on chickens -- basic FAQs

bluekitobsessed
15 years ago

Because every time I post a chickens comment/pic I get a question or two, here's a primer for amateur, suburban, backyard chicken farmers.

1. I have 2 chickens that I raised from day-old chicks. I used to have 3, and recommend 3 as a good number (they're social animals, don't do well alone). Chickens are legal in many places, such as Los Angeles, CA. Many cities have limits on roosters, and I wouldn't get a rooster out of sheer consideration for neighbors.

2. Raising chickens from chicks: They need to be hot. I kept them in an old guinea pig cage (24" x 12" x 12"?) with two hot incandescent desk lamps on them 24/7 until they were about 6 weeks old. I kept their food & water in small bowls that used to hold guinea pig food. When they were about 6 weeks old I started putting them in the back yard for an hour or two at a time. Obviously you can buy special incubators, heat lamps, & such, but my low tech/low cost solution worked fine.

3. Basic care these days: I bought them a coop for chickens, which I keep on my narrow side yard. I've seen people use old dog houses, sheds, rabbit hutches, or play houses, or make their own. They're free to roam about 6 hours a day, which is my choice. They must have sunlight to lay eggs. They want to roost (go back to their home) at night, when predators come out, so their cage has a latch. I give them old corn cobs (the chicken equivalent of a steak bone), tomato centers, other veggies & fruit, and fight with them over who gets first dibs in my vegetable garden. They keep my snails & slugs under control :)

4. Fresh eggs every day! They started laying at 6 months. They will decrease egg laying during winter when the days are shorter (commercial farmers give them artificial light). My two are 2 years old and I'm still getting eggs 6x/week from each of them. Older hens will apparently lay less. Hens who have never met a rooster will lay unfertilized eggs just like supermarket eggs. Cost: $15/feed lasts about 3-4 months (plus chicks, which cost $3 each), compared to $2/dozen for commercial eggs. Fresh eggs compare to supermarket eggs as backyard tomatoes do to supermarket tomatoes.

5. I have a Rhode Island Red (a basic breed), who lays brown eggs, and an Araucana/Ameraucana, who lays green eggs (kids go crazy for these). I had an Australorps but a hawk carried her off :( My dog has accepted that they are part of the family, not part of his meal. I try to keep the chickens out of the front yard because neighbor dogs would love to meet them for lunch.

6. I'm attaching a link to a site (run by a GWr's friend IIRC). GW has a Farm Animals site on the garden side. I also have two books: Keep Chickens! by Barbara Kilarski (good for backyard suburban types, good list of cities where chickens can be kept) and Barnyard in Your Backyard by Gail Damerow (more technical/large scale chicken farming operation oriented). Apparently everyone in America used to have chickens until the 1930s-1950s or so; the same "progress/science" mindset that convinced people to buy commercial eggs also convinced many mothers that bottle feeding was better for their babies.

7. If you have chickens, you will find chickens cute...your friends will start to give you chicken stuff...you might even end up with a gorgeous chicken mural above your French range....

Here is a link that might be useful: Backyard Chickens

Comments (10)

• lovemcm
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you. That was actually very interesting. I have often thought of keeping a few chickens, and have clients who do. When they go away, I get the eggs. Only thing I'd have a problem with is the predators (I get so attached, and we have lots of hawks, coyotes, fisher cats, etc.) and cleaning the chicken coop. Nasty.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Is that how I get one of those ranges? Hmmmmm.

I've actually been thinking about getting some chickens. We've got the room for them. Not quite sure how our three chihuahuas would react to them, though. Dad (in-law) has been feeding a stray chicken (presumably a neighbor's) recently. The pups met her from a distance and didn't seem too alarmed so it might work.

That's the site my co-worker and carpool buddy runs. He's got a new bumper sticker on one of his cars I just noticed this morning: "My pet makes me breakfast." Made me chuckle.

I've raised them before but that was when we were on 5 acres with a barn setup. One of them turned out to be a rooster who was meaner than sin. I refused to deal with them.

Thanks for the info.

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Wow!! You brought back childhood memories! I grew up in a small town in northern Indiana, next door to my grandparents, and we had a chicken enclosure across the back of our adjoining yards. One of my jobs was to gather the eggs . . . scary, because some of the biddies didn't want to give them up and pecked! Every chicken dinner began with a chase through the chicken yard . . . I can testify that I'd much rather buy them at Krogers!!

More recently, a friend with chickens routinely shared extra eggs -- and yes, they're very different than supermarket ones!

I just may have to have a few layers when the new house is done . . . but they'll die of old age, not ending up on the table!

• imrainey
    15 years ago

OH! I had forgotten completely about dogs. My 14yo lab probably couldn't keep up with chickens anymore but my 1yo Heinz 57 terrier would turn them in to pillow filling in 15 minutes.

Drat! But thanks so much for the info. ;>

• california_dreamer
    15 years ago

Great post! Thanks for sharing that info. I'd love to keep chickens- I think my kids would love it. But how do you protect them from predators? We have lots of hawks and I can hear owls every night near my house.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Great post! Thank you! When you showed their pictures on the other thread, I was wondering if IChik was going to take them for her mural over her stove. Maybe some day, I will get lucky and have some as well. Don't think my HOA would like them too much.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

And here I thought you were just posting to make fun of me :oP

• bluekitobsessed
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would never do that to you, Iggles (sorry -- college roommate nickname)

• uxorial
    15 years ago

I love my chickens! When we moved to our current house in 1999, we were given six chicks as a housewarming gift. They were named after Disney characters: Ariel, Belle, Cinderella, Esmerelda, Jasmine, and Mulan. Over the years, four of them died (three by raccoon, one by illness), but we still have two of the original ones. This spring I got two more chicks to fill in the flock, as the old girls don't lay many eggs (I got a total of about 5 dozen from the two of them this spring; they stopped laying in July).

Here's the babies, Aurora and Nala:

{{gwi:1648448}}

I brooded them in a cardboard box until they were about 10 weeks old, then put them in the coop, separated from the other two big chickens for a few more weeks. They're all grown up now, and they should start laying eggs in September or October.

{{gwi:1937910}}

To protect them from predators, we keep them in an enclosed area with a six-foot-high chicken wire fence (although it wasn't secure enough to keep out raccoons; we didn't dig it into the ground like we should have). We used to have bird netting over the top (like a ceiling) to keep the hawks out, but we took that down years ago and haven't had a problem. The hawks around here have plenty of rodents to eat, I guess. Owls aren't a problem because the chickens go in their coop at night. Our dog keeps coyotes away during the day, but they don't seem to bother the chickens at night when the dog is in the house. Our chickens did get attacked by a coyote (all survived) when I was letting them range around the yard, so I don't let them range any more. They tear up the gardens too much anyway, and they don't eat slugs.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I recently started making my back yard garden a lot bigger. One thing I want to put out there is a few chickens and a nice looking coop for them. During the day they can scratch around the garden eating bugs, and at night I'll shut them up for their own protection. We live right next to a swamp and the critters that live there would probably LOVE a nice fresh chicken dinner!