Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annielytical

Island Cooktop with Pot Filler

AnnieLytical
9 years ago

Hey everyone, this is my first post. I have been doing lots of reading on this site as we are in the beginning stages of building. We haven't yet formally retained our builder, but nonetheless, I am pouring over layouts and floor plans and such. I was reading a post here and someone had mentioned that it had been a long time since they cooked facing a wall. That keeps sticking in my head. I had originally planned an "L" kitchen with island, with sink in the island and gas cook top on the perimeter with a pot filler. After reading here, I would like my cooktop in the island, that way I don't cook with my back to the living room. However, I really want a pot filler. I have seen a few pictures on Houzz, but wanted other people's opinions on pot fillers on the island with the cooktop.

I am learning so much here, thanks!

Comments (13)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

At first I was thinking it might look a little odd, so I looked for pictures online. I found this one on Houzz:

As for having to face a wall while cooking, I don't like it, either. My cooktop is in a peninsula, with a raised bar on the other side. I really enjoy this setup :)

• Ellen1234
    9 years ago

I actually moved my cooktop off the island in my remodel :). My counter was only 25" deep though so not very safe with young kids! I'm sure yours will be much safer :).

I wanted a wall mounted pot-filler above my new cooktop placement, but it was on an exterior wall and I live in a cold climate (I did not want to deal with bursting pipes with all brand new floors!).

Anyway, so I decided to go with a deck-mounted pot-filler placed to the immediate left of my cooktop (Wolf 36" range actually), and I LOVE IT!! I debated whether to just not even put it in, but I'm really glad I did! I use it several times a day (we have a puppy so fill her water dish with it, and I make a lot of pasta, rice, etc.).

So if you think you'll use it, then definitely go for it!

FYI, I have this one in stainless:

http://www.nationalbuildersupply.com/p/brizo-62710lfss-kitchen-sink-faucet.html

FYI #2, the piping comes up right a the back of the drawer bank so can be serviced/replaced as needed. I have a shut-off in the drawer bank as well as in the basement. So when I go out of town, I make sure I shut it off from the basement.

This post was edited by Ellen1234 on Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 18:41

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think a deck mounted pot filler would be fine.

However: what I really think is needed is a Pot Emptier.

I am more comfortable filling a pot with a lot of cold water at the sink and carrying it over to the cooktop than I am carrying the same pot, just off the boil and full of pasta or seafood or whatever back over to the sink. That's the potentially more dangerous step, not the filling--and no one ever seems to adequately address that reality (in my mind, anyway.)

• Ellen1234
    9 years ago

Well, I was actually going to mention that but forgot -- if you are getting a prep sink in the island as well, then just get a (tall) faucet which is made for filling pots as well.

Personally I did not want a prep sink as I have a sink which is pretty centrally located and which has a second RO faucet if needed.

Also, one benefit a pot-filler has over a normal faucet (which seem to be much slower nowadays) is the rate that the water comes out --- it is really fast with a pot-filler. So when you're cooking multiple pots of potatoes, it speeds it up quite a bit - although I don't necessarily think this is the main reason to get a pot-filler :). I have not had any problem emptying the pots in cases where I need to empty them - although I would want a fairly big sink to empty full pots in or I could envision a bit of a mess.

This post was edited by Ellen1234 on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 13:57

• AnnieLytical
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you every one for the input! I'll make sure to keep in mind the depth of the island and i'll definitely keep in mind the side pot filler!

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

we have a pot filler and i love it....
    we installed a water filter to it, so we always have filtered water to fill our water pitchers and of course we cook with filtered water.

Uses:
    cooking, obviously
    water for the fridge
    sun tea
    filtered water to take pills
    dog bowl
    coffee
    hot tea
    baking etc....

there are so many uses, its really not just about making pasta or rice....or only saving yourself one trip of carrying a big pot of water......

someone above made a good point about the water comes our fast, that's a great feature/bonus....

hope u love yours!!!

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

You'll have enough challenges to creating a functional island with a cooktop in it. That takes a lot of room if you don't want your back to people during he lion's share of the time you spend in your kitchen. Actual cooking is only 10 % of that time. Prep is 70%. If the island is too small to prep on it, or lacks that prep sink, you've just created tne opposite of what you intended to create. With a ton of extra expense and difficulty, for spending most of your time with your back to the room.

• leealison
    9 years ago

I agree with hollysprings. I spend much more time at the sink and surrounding area than at the cooktop. Think hard about where you spend most of your time in the kitchen.

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

I looked at your picture and thought how much I would like that. Then I imagined what would happen when a child decided to get a drink from that faucet or maybe just play in the water!
    It is so much more "reachable" than a wall-mounted pot filler. Just right for a hot, thirsty child who could turn the faucet away from the range and . . . .

OH, MY! that might be a problem.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I think it's a bit odd looking to have a faucet over an island cooktop. Keep in mind that getting water to an island is also tricky and expensive (because the water has to go into the floor, given that no wall is involved).

I also agree with the poster who points out that you spend more time prepping than actually cooking.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Do you have room for a 10' island in your plan? If not, then you really don't have the room to do an island cooktop with the prepzone on the island. Islands are best set up so you can spend that 70% of your time there washing and chopping and peeling instead of just the 10% of sauteing or stirring the soup.

• G P
    7 years ago

my cooktop will be flush set in a counter on the end of a peninsula next to dishwasher that is then next to huge long galley sink with two faucets, would it be better to keep that area nice and sleek and flush, or have a counter mounted pot filler? It's not too far from sink?