Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terri761

Have you recently purchased Kraftmaid cabinets?

terri76
12 years ago

I had pretty much decided on Kraftmaid cabinets from Lowes. Last night I was searching Kraftmaid on the net and found a Kraftmaid complaint website. After reading it I am a little apprehensive until I can find out more. They told of cabinet finishes pealing, having grit or sand under the finish, cabinets out of square, and finding damaged ones on delivery.They said they were not like the sample shown in the showroom. In many instances, Kraftmaid was trying to make good, but the remodeling projects were delayed sometimes 6 or more weeks.Has anyone recently purchased Kraftmaid? What are your experiences?

Comments (10)

• sumbrm
    12 years ago

We have just installed Kraftmaid purchased at Lowes. We have maple cabinets ..Durham maple in a praline finish. The delivery invoice says that they came via Masco Cabinetry from Middlefield OH. We had no damaged cabinets - the finish is even, the color is conistent, there were no damaged cabinets.

The only problem we had is that we ordered one cabinet wrong (our fault) and had to do an SOS re-order, and it came in just over 3 weeks. We live in NY....

We did do the upgrade to APFC....

• battin4th
    12 years ago

I just finished having KM cabinets installed.

Dove White and Sage Green in the Huntington Door/Drawer style.

Overall, pretty happy with them. The cabinets were ordered from a building supply warehouse and not HD or Lowes. Although I'm pretty sure they could have been ordered through either HD or Lowes. My GC just preferred to deal with this other outfit. Anyhow, they arrived undamaged. The paint looks pretty good but not perfect in places. I would rate the overall quality of the cabinets as good. The draw fronts are dove-tailed and the cabinet frames are mortised. I would not consider them high-end cabinets though.

• mratner
    12 years ago

We just had Kraftmaid cabinets installed in our kitchen remodel. The cabinet construction seems solid; no complaints. Finish though is another story - our island, which is stained cherry, looks beautiful, but the main cabinets, which are painted/glazed, have been a disappointment. Almost half of all cabinet doors have paint defects and need to be replaced. Basic panels are of slightly different shade of color than decorative panels/doors.
    So stained OK, glazed not so good.

• Adrienne2011
    12 years ago

We just had Kraftmaid maple APC cabinets installed; the cab style is called Lindsey and the stain is chestnut. They arrived with two minor, very small dings in the doors/drawers fronts and the refrigerator end panel has a goofy stain issue, but my GC said the Kraftmaid rep can fix that, and the tiny dings can camoflauged with the stain pen that was included. They are very well made and work exactly as they should. I would order from Kraftmaid again if we ever ended up re-doing another kitchen.

• sandesurf
    12 years ago

Hi, we also just had KM oak, cognac finish, from Lowes installed. It's been about 6 weeks now. Absolutely no problems. They are beautiful, and LOVE the fact that the self close drawers are standard in KM. We are in Arizona.
    I had ordered samples of the stains, before we decided on one. It was between the cognac and a chocolate w/mocha glaze. Even though there was a promotion for a "free glaze", we prefered the one without glaze. FYI, our installer put the handles too far apart, on two drawers. KM sent new door fronts, within a week, after the Lowes KD said the fronts were defective. :) Great customer service from both, Lowes and KM!

• imlebby
    12 years ago

We had Kraftmaid installed in Feb/March of this year. We chose Maple, in the Huntington (i.e. shaker style), in the White Dove or Dove White paint color (I can never remember what they call it.) We have been VERY happy with the construction of the cabinets - the easy close doors, adjustable hinges, etc. The only one negative we experienced to date is a quality control (regarding paint coverage) issue on their moulding pieces and sides of products. On most of our crown, and sides of alot of the moulding, there were areas that you could see the wood coming through - it was almost as if they had missed one of the spray throughs of paint. It was most obvious on the moulding of the fridge cabinet which was butted right up to the fridge box and one piece right next to the other was very different visually.

I let my contractor deal with his guy who ordered the cabs, etc and they ended up sending us a spray can where my contractor touched up the areas - it took him a day as he had to carefully tape off everythign and cover everything but it was fixed to my liking so we didn't push it beyond that...but I thought it was worth mentioning. Perhaps you can just write that into your contract or email your rep about it so it's in writing as to what you expect.

Otherwise, we are thrilled!!!

• barbcollins
    12 years ago

We have Kraftmaid cabinets that are 10-15 years old installed by the PO. We ordered some matching cabinets about 7 years ago from Lowes.

No complaints. I think they are oak with a cherry stain. No problems. They are built well.

But, I later found a store called Just Cabinets that beats Lowes/HD prices and can get them in 2 weeks instead of 6.

• Jan313
    12 years ago

I just ordered KM cabs - Honey Spice with Mocha Glaze - Maple wood. My neighbor got hers 6 months ago and they are just beautiful. It was after seeing hers and the display ones at Lowes that convinced me to get them. The soft closure is really nice on them.

• muffinqueen
    12 years ago

I just had KM installed for our kitchen remodel. We got the Holace style in Maple with an onyx glaze. They seem to be very nice cabinets. I do have a couple of small complaints--one slide our shelf sticks and will need repair or replacement, and one shelf is badly warped. I'm hoping these things will be taken care of easily. Overall, I love the look of our cabinets.

• kawh707
    12 years ago

just finishing our remodel and got kraftmaid cabs from Lowes in canvas. only found one door with little finish problem and they have replaced it. one corner of a drawer had a hairline crack in it (prob form the install) and they replaced. one of the spice drawers was just a tiny bit sticky and they replaced the whole thing. the auto-close (not electric) on one of the garbage drawers didn't return properly and they sent a whole new drawer.

overall, every little tiny thing that wasn't perfect, they have taken care of quickly. if you saw doors that were not perfectly straight, that was probably the installer. really, they have been fantastic as has lowes. just really easy.

btw-- i read online somewhere that they are not made in usa anymore-- and that was important to us. so when the factory called about delivery, i double checked. the woman said, "honey the cabinets are all made in this building i'm sitting in, in ohio." i continued, "assembled? painted? finished?" yes yes yes.