Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wishiwasinoz

Backsplash paralysis (black walnut/white macaubus/creamy cabs)

wishiwasinoz
9 years ago

Howdy,

We've been living in our home for about 8 months. I waited on the backsplash because I wanted to live with the kitchen for a couple of months before I felt I could decide. I still cannot come to a conclusion. I like fairly simple things. For awhile I was thinking Ann Sacks Beau Monde Polly but I came back to earth & it's too much money & too fancy.

My husband really like's the Suprema Touch of Gray gloss tiles. I think I like it enough. I'd probably only be interested in seeing that in herringbone in our kitchen - probably 3"x6". We have a herringbone driveway, fireplace, & powder bath floor, so I think it would tie in well. I'm just not sure about that gray color for the long-term.

I really like the Artistic Tile in Rivershell in the oval mosaic. It's quite small, though. Maybe too small. If we did this, I'd likely do a very light gray grout.

Our island is a mix of black walnut & macaubus quartzite. Our perimeter is macaubus quartzite. Our floors are white oak with a grayish/brown Rubio Monocoat oil.

Please give any & all feedback, as I am at an impasse. Thank you kindly!

-Wish

Comments (21)

• wishiwasinoz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Suprema Touch of Gray

• wishiwasinoz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Countertops

• wishiwasinoz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The wallpaper mural in the dining area, visible from the kitchen - I share this because the kitchen flows into this area.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Something like these, i.e., silvery, watery, not too small a format:

Here is a link that might be useful: General idea

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

You know what I would do? Find a tile that pulls out the blue-y or green-y grey in your mural (which is fabulous!) and do a tile in that subtly color.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Try searching Encore Ceramics for Glacier and Smoke (colors). Frost series seems like a possibility.
    Sorry, ws trying to show just the tile labeled "Frost" and suggest colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Field tiles--Lots of choices

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 18:23

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Can't offer any help with bs but just had to comment on the beautiful elements.

• sherryocala
    9 years ago

Love your kitchen and your mural.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue glass mosaic tile

• sherryocala
    9 years ago

I like pale, pale blue, and this one is balanced by the taupe-y color. Seems to blend with your mural.
    Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Another

• sherryocala
    9 years ago

Gray glass over a marble countertop similar to yours. Perhaps a darker impression than you were thinking but I like the contrast.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful:

• sherryocala
    9 years ago

Uniquely reminiscent of your ocean waves.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful:

• sherryocala
    9 years ago

Here's your herringbone.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• KS_Chicago
    9 years ago

I really like artistic tile you picked but not for the kitchen. I actually looked at their tiles in person and some of them really look like they are bathroom tiles only ...

• sherryocala
    9 years ago

The kitchen in the sixth photo down reminds me of yours. Soft, subtle light gray doesn't take away from your rich details.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: [Lovely gray and white[(https://www.houzz.com/products/subway-glass-wall-and-floor-tile-prbr2-br~t_600~a_167-1103--635-3677)

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I loooove the very first tile sherryocala posted! It has a very watercolor feel that ties in with the mural beautifully, and that color is perfect. If you could combime the colors of the first with the sjape and pattern of sherryocalas favorite that would be the ultimate backsplash!

• fatherdowling
    9 years ago

It's such a gorgeous kitchen. Of the ones you posted I like the one you'd do in herringbone.

Can I ask where you got the beautiful wallpaper mural?

• romy718
    9 years ago

Another option to introduce a herringbone pattern. Is there any color other than silver/gray you are considering?

• jess1979
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is very nice. I also like the Suprema touch of grey. Have you looked at Walker Zanger Gramercy Park in pipe smoke. I also saw their ceramic tiles that are called the Cafe line in colors Earl Grey or Milk. I think something like any of those would look nice.

• msrose
    9 years ago

I love the Suprema Touch of Gray either like the picture or herringbone. I also think a simple white tile would be pretty if you don't want to commit to gray.

• wishiwasinoz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so kindly for your feedback & nice compliments! I really appreciate all the feedback. I'm going to get some samples of various tiles ordered this week. I think my heart is really leaning towards herringbone. I'm not married to gray, per se, but I know a bright white won't work. I think a creamier one will fade into the background, which I know we don't want.

The mural is called A Clouded Mural from Anewall. They were incredible to deal with. It's printed in Canada & quite reasonable if you use a coupon, which they frequently have. They did ours in a custom size. My mom has been installing wallpaper for over 40 years in numerous homes she's owned. She said it's one of the nicest quality she has ever worked with. I found them through (take a wild guess...) Pinterest!
    http://anewall.com/26-murals

I will keep you posted & whip up some mock Photoshop BS in the coming days.

Thanks again!