Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunsoleil

Tile installer coming in the morning--advice please!

sunsoleil
10 years ago

Could I please have suggestions on where you would end the backsplash. The white woodwork on the right is part of a large entryway to the family room. I just finished priming the wall that was damaged from removing the granite backsplash. (That's another story:)

This post was edited by annalyn123 on Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 16:06

Comments (14)

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I would end it at the cabinet.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I would end it at the cabinet as well.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I would end it at the cabinet.

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

Ditto the above advice.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Add me to the list. You will need to balance the discrepancy with art work.

• sunsoleil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That was my feeling, but when I hold up the tile at the end of the cabinet, there is quite a bit of space of countertop that feels unfinished. The installer likes to go to the end of the countertop for that reason. If I did go to the end of the countertop, would it look more balanced if I went up about a third of the cabinet. I knows this sounds funny, but I don't like the look of ending so early at the end of the cabinet since the counter overhangs more than the photo makes it appear. I also don't like a floating wall of tile either:(
    I have the same situation on the other side of the countertop, but it only extends about 2 inches. I will have to go to the end of the countertop on that wall because of the outlet and I didn't have time to get an electrician in to change it.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

The logical end point for a backsplash on a counter is the counter. Why is there so much of an overhang? Can you put corner shelves on the end?

I agree that the excess counter would look odd. Unfortunately, there isn't a perfect solution since the counter and cabinetry are out of sync for some reason.

Can you post a wider shot of the area?

This post was edited by snookums2 on Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 19:28

• Maura Kortlang
    10 years ago

There was a lengthy discussion of this on the forum last spring. See link below for some food for thought. The decision may vary depending on what sort of tile you are using.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backsplash edge discussion

• sunsoleil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Snookums2, I included another photo. The overhang is 11 inches and was used as counterspace with stools before we recently built the additional, which is what you see on the right. I removed the granite backsplash this weekend and I now am thinking that the installer wanted to go to the end of the counter because of a small space where the granite meets the wall. I am not sure if it is too large to be filled. The cabinets were custom made by a local person, but because they are natural cherry, I am not sure he could add anything there that wouldn't look like an "add-on." I am so tired right now, I may just say "surprise me!"
    Thanks RubyWednesday22! It was great to see some photos. Thanks to everyone that has offered an opinion!!!

This post was edited by annalyn123 on Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 20:13

• sunsoleil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found a photo I took right before I removed the backsplash which shows a wider shot of half the kitchen (I currently have the kitchen covered with moving blankets to protect the countertops.) The other half is not a problem because the counter is surrounded with cabinetry.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I think I would carry it to the end and then a bit upwards, as you said.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Here's one just posted.

• akcorcoran
    10 years ago

I would end it at the cabinet and put a bullnose tile or, better yet, a pencil piece vertically there. Since you have a light switch on that wall, it will look intentional. And the "finishing" piece will show that you did it with thought and design vs it just "ending."

Does your tile have a matching pencil or bullnose?

Here's what we did at the end of ours? Wood on right is also the door trim. It ends where the cabinet ends - now we have a standard overhang but I still think it needs to end where the cabinet ends.

If you look on the right, you can see the pencil piece.

Please ignore the unfinished cabinet crown molding in the second one - eek! Good luck!

• bluetea57
    10 years ago

We ended the tile flush with the cabinet. We had decided to do it this way before picking out tile and chose a tile that could be made with a bullnose end and finished ends of the novelty.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz