Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tea4all

Choice: cabinets or GC?

tea4all
9 years ago

It appears because of budget, I may have to choose between my #1 choice of cabinet maker or my first choice of GC. The GC favors a different cab company he has an established relationship with and would be $8,000 cheaper. That cabinetry would be passable but not preferred. I would appreciate advise how to decide which to choose if it comes down to this.

Is it more important to get the cabs you like or the GC you like?

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Get the GC.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Take longer to save, and explore more choices. Maybe you can have both a GC and a cabinet maker that you love.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

I agree with LWO. A good GC is very important, but so are cabinets that will make you happy every day. I'd wait to be able to afford both.

• tea4all
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trebruchet, LWO, and Breezygirl, thanks so much for responding. I appreciate your input and respect your experience. I will weigh your advice and take it to heart.

• vdinli
    9 years ago

What is it about the GC's preferred cabinet choice that you don't like? If it is something that is structural or finish wise inferior, then I would hunt for a different GC.
    Have you talked to the GC about installing other cabinets? We had a similar quandry and our GC was clear he would prefer one particular vendor over others but he didn't mind installing any cabinets we might procure. We did finally end up going with GC's vendor as the cabinet line best met our value/quality equation.
    Let me put it this way-a bad GC can make a mess of your beautiful cabinet choice.

• SparklingWater
    9 years ago

I had this situation. I really liked two different GC's, but the one I was leaning to (based on numerous home visits, checking website, state license and local county business license and more) used only one custom cabinet maker. Their quote for twenty three lovely built and painted cabinets came in at $23,000 without any drawers, glass cabinets, pullouts or more.

I really wanted glass cabinets to lighten up my space (with UCL and LV interior), I really wanted drawers and stacks of drawers; I wanted a few typical cabinet add-ons, and really wanted to the ceiling with crown moulding. So I declined this GC's offer based on cabinetry alone.

It was an equally great contractor who did my somewhat challenging kitchen: new hvac run and make up air, older house with uneven height to ceiling, lots of new electrical, and a fussy homeowner who wanted everything finished to a tee. My cabinetry charges came in about $6 less and I got all that I wanted as described above.

It's not always straightforward which way to go on this question. In the end, it's really a personal decision on a multifactorial question. Good luck OP.

• tea4all
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vinudev_liny, it is both structural and finish issues. Also the GC's cab man did not know what a Super Susan was even though he has been in business over 40 years. I had to show him pics and give a written explanation. I thought that was a bit odd. It isn't like I live in an isolated place.

This GC is willing to install my preferred cabinets. In the bid he bundled together the installation of cabs, templating / installing granite countertops, and setting appliances in different places. (Electrical & plumbing work are separate line items.) To our best calculations the labor allocated to cabinets amounts to approximately 80% to 90% of the cost of cabs alone. Is this typical?

• tea4all
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vinudev_liny,Thanks for your response. You made great points about value/quality equation and that a bad GC can mess up beautiful cabs.

SparklingWater, wow you have walked almost the exact path I am now wading through. Thank you so much for sharing! Did you post pics of your kitchen? I searched but could not find a thread of it. I would love to see any pics you would like to share. :)

• SparklingWater
    9 years ago

tea4all, I've never done a reveal as I am slow. No BS yet, no banquette etc. Here are some pictures when first installed; now I have glass shelves and table/new chandelier in the eat in space.

I highly recommend a good lighting plan, and electrical can add up fast. I went to my local electrical shop and surprisingly they had a professional lighting planner from California. Great for me.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• weissman
    9 years ago

Go with the cabinets you want - they'll be with you for years, the GC for a few months. One thing confused me - is the GC charging you more to install your preferred cabinets or the same? If it's the same, then it's a no-brainer. If he's charging you more than you might want to get bids from another GC.

• tea4all
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sparkling, your kitchen is bea-u-ti-ful!!! Lovely glass cabs, really like your hood (hope I can have one similar to yours), great sink/faucet combo, and your countertop is subtle and elegant. Thanks for posting those pics! I will watch for your final reveal whenever you choose to share one.

It is so encouraging to see lovely kitchens by GWers that have waded through the tough process of a reno.

• tea4all
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Weissman, the GC's preferred cab company is treated like a sub and installs their own cabs. The GC does markup their part of the project. My favorite cabinet company just builds and does not install. The GC will install my favorites charging both a markup on cabs and charging labor for installation. The GC bid using our favorite cabs and told us it would be $8,000 less if we used their cabinet company.

I think you are right and another bid should be in our future. Thanks for taking the time to help me think through this situation.