Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Questions about IKEA Hemnes storage & shelves.

enduring
11 years ago

I would like any information or other thoughts on the IKEA line Hemnes. There are a lot of combinations of shelving for the living area. In particular I am looking at a set of cabinets and shelving that will create a wall of storage.

Questions:

1) is the Hemnes line sturdy?

2) can you cut the width of the open shelving to be less wide?

3) is it worth cutting down the shelving to get a tighter fit, or use the off the shelf products and just have 6" or so gap on either side of the unit?

4) what about the secretary desk unit they have have, I dont have a picture, but has anyone used it? and if so is it sturdy?

I have a room off of the kitchen that has seen a variety of uses over the years. Originally it was a bedroom, than an office, small dinning area, last 10 or so years back to an office. I'd like to bring it back to use as an eating area. It could also do light duty as an office.

Here are some pieces from the Hemnes line. I'd have to make a big trip to get to an IKEA store to look and buy.

configuration on their web site. But it is about 4 inches too long for my wall :(

So here are my ideas of getting it to fit. These are my photoshop redos and are not exact, but will give an idea of the looks.

#1 configuration with an off the rack smaller shelf unit as an option. It will be too short leaving about a foot of extra space along the wall.

#2 Configuration where I would cut down the larger shelving to custom fit my wall. It would require cutting down from about 36" to about 30" or so:

Thanks, I may be getting in over my head with the prospect of cutting down the shelving but I like the idea that it would fit against the side walls. And I haven't even finished my bathroom yet.

Comments (11)

• petra66_gw
    11 years ago

These are the Ikea instructions for putting the Hemnes bookcase together, maybe they give you some clues as to easy it would be to hack your desired set-up.

HTH, Petra

Here is a link that might be useful: Hemnes bookcase instructions

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

Having recently assisted DD with some Ikea assembly (not this particular item), I would add that their pieces are extremely well engineered to fit and assemble and be supporting without the need for drilling. Screws or dowels are integral to the engineering and must be used for structure and support of the piece.

If you are cutting away some of the structure, you will need to find out if the piece will be able to be drilled by you on-site and still maintain the structural design integrity and support of the piece. As purchased, holes were all pre-drilled. And most panels were made of engineered MDF type of materials. So if the point of connection of the piece is different in strength or material than the entire span of that piece, and you cut off the strong part, then you may need to find an way to reinforce the piece.

Watching the videos on youtube should give you some insight. Looking at the piece in person may help, but you might have to come home with it and then see how it all fits together to be sure.

• enduring
    Original Author
    11 years ago

petra66, Thanks for giving me the link to the instructions...duh why didn't I think of that. I see there are a lot of connections and what looks like blind linkages inside the dowel holes. Oh boy, I'm thinking the 20" off the shelf, shelf is the way to go.

juliekcmo, thanks for the thoughtful reply. I have not watched any videos. You bring up very good points. The point that the connection may be of another material than the rest of the joining member is very critical. The tight tolerances would be difficult for me. You've been very helpful.

• magdiego
    11 years ago

The ikeahackers site has some hacks using various bookcases and some molding to give a built in look. (Click on the images to go directly to the hack.)

One with the Hemnes line:

and the Billy line:

• enduring
    Original Author
    11 years ago

magdiego, this is great. Thanks so much. I was wondering about using some sort of trim to span the gaps. I could use trim between the 3 pieces and at both ends. I think it could work. I might try putting the trim recessed instead of on top of the cases, or flush. We'll see. It will be a while before I get to this room. But I am excited.

• sashas32
    8 years ago

I have a hemnes bookcase that I purchased from Ikea a few years ago, before it came with doors. Would anyone know how, or have ideas of how I can "hack it" and add doors by chance?

• Tmnca
    8 years ago

We have 7 Hemnes bookshelves and the TV stand with the "bridge" over top between 2 bookshelves. It is very sturdy and real wood - we have had them for 8 years and moved twice with them (actually 3x because we put stuff in storage and then into our new home when we couldn't move directly). Ours are black-brown and they look custom built in their locations as they did in our previous condo (several buyers wanted us to include them).

• HU-926931565
    4 years ago

@janesherwin - did you ever come to a conclusion if doors could be added to the Hemnes bookcase? I have been wanting to do the same thing. Thanks in advance!

• janesherwin
    4 years ago

I didn't get any advice that it WAS possible, and we came up with an alternative solution. But on reflection, I am pretty sure that the Hemnes is made of wood so it should be possible to add doors (but you'd have to source them independently). Good luck!

• HU-926931565
    4 years ago

Thank you @janesherwin!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022