Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jxbrown

Remodeling again -- Island Hood Question

Well it looks like the banks have decided in their majesty to grant us the short sale that we offered to buy last March. It apparently takes banks a very long time to make their decisions. The place is a wreck and extensive remodeling is in order (didn't they look at it before they made those HUGE loans? That amount of neglect did not happen overnight. The location is perfect though.)

Anyway, I would prefer not to reconfigure the kitchen which has an island cooktop. Currently there is a downdraft vent. Been there, done that. It needs a hood even for my beloved induction cooktop. Do you also add drop lighting? My favorite Houzz kitchen happens to have an island cooktop with mini-pendants on either side of a glass canopy hood, but it might be a touch busy? I can't judge the spacing and size of the island from the picture, either. I know that people are skeptical about the "skylight" vent, but perhaps that would be adequate for induction? I currently have a Broan bathroom type fan that was original to my mid-mod house and it is actually adequate for venting pasta pot steam, but not for the occasional exercise in meat searing.

Contemporary Kitchen design by Boston Architect Lim Design Studio, Inc