Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shanamaiya

Keep the kitchen floor or change?

ShanaMaiya
10 years ago

Hi everyone! I just graduated from the "selling and Moving" forum here. We just moved into our new (to us) home. I am SO HAPPY to finally be here!
Anyway... I'm in a dilemma about these floors.

We are planning a kitchen remodel next year. While I love the white cabinets, they are thermofoil and the coating is peeling. They also aren't as functional as I'd like. We are going to replace them with a better grade in white and do granite counters.

Now the floor.... I LOVE how they feel so smooth under my feet and they stay amazingly clean with minimal effort, but I am not fond of the peachy beige marbling. I don't hate it though. I originally wanted to do a wood look ceramic, but we would have to continue it through the entry way. Also, my husband said if I want to do that, it would be easier to do it At the same time as the cabinets.

Would you keep the floors or replace them?
P.S. I can't figure out how to add more photos to the same post.

Comments (21)

• cawaps
    10 years ago

The GW picture uploader only does one pic at a time; you can reply to your own thread and post more pics that way. To get more than one pic in a message you need to use html.

I don't have a specific opinion on the floor. It depends on whether you have the budget to do it comfortably and what other colors you want to pull into the kitchen. The floor goes fine with white cabs, but if you wanted yellow walls...I'm not sure the floor would go (depends on how peachy it is).

No help, I know!

• Madeline616
    10 years ago

If you don't love it, and it's in your budget to get something that you do love, go for it--this is your chance!

I've had marble floors (and other structures) demo'd and it's a bit of a mess, but worth it in the end to have what you love. While the kitchen is undergoing a reno anyway, I'd get this taken care of at the same time (budget permitting).

• MizLizzie
    10 years ago

I love those floors. I think you could play off the peach in your granite and do some interesting things. I wonder, too, if you could tone down the peach with a different grout, but that's not my forte. Hopefully others will chime in.

• Maura Kortlang
    10 years ago

I would not do anything with the floors until you are ready for your larger renovation. If you change them now, you may wind up changing them again next year. Or even worse: wanting to, and feeling like you can't. IMHO it makes much more sense to wait.

• ShanaMaiya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a close up of the floor...

• ShanaMaiya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is what the kitchen looks like now...

• User
    10 years ago

They look like 1960s' bathroom tile. Rip 'em out!

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Only you can make this decision. My vote would be to replace them when you do the renovation.
    I am not a fan of peach color tiles in the kitchen.
    Love your idea of wood look ceramic. I have them in our tv rooms and purchased them long before they became popular. Now they have so many choices and colors.

• buildinva
    10 years ago

I do not like them and agree with mayflowers. But I might wait until the kitchen remodel.

• MizLizzie
    10 years ago

Ooh, not so much up close. They are very shiny, aren't they? What color is that grout? It looks more orange than the tile.

I still think different grout would help. But I don't know about salvaging them. If you have the budget, I guess would go whole hog. Good luck.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

You are upgrading the kitchen, including granite, so replacing that flooring tags along.

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

Safety-wise, those look much too slick to be in a kitchen. I'm not particularly fond of the color either.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I would change them in a heartbeat but that is my preference. I would rather have wood or travertine. I think floors set a tone for the rest of the space. That is usually the first thing I do when I move, if I do not like what is currently there.

• LoPay
    10 years ago

We had the same situation with our renno. We decided to replace and get what we liked.

• enduring
    10 years ago

I think you'd be kicking your selfs if you kept those floors and put in new cabinets.

• Fori
    10 years ago

Your husband is correct. You have to replace all the tile. Congratulations! Now the fun part....picking new floor!

(In other words, I don't like it either. If you're a huge fan of area rugs EVERYwhere, you can make em work...but bleh!)

Sorry! Or You're welcome! =D

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

If they're not too slick to use safely, it's just a matter of color. Here are a few ideas, if you do decide to keep them :)

Use a backsplash that will work with the floors... {{!gwi}}From Pink kitchen
    {{!gwi}}From Pink kitchen

Think about adding some fabrics... {{!gwi}}From 1920s kitchen project

Bring in some warmer, darker wood tones, to complement the lighter flooring and cabinets... {{!gwi}}From 1920s kitchen project

And don't forget to have some fun with accents and hardware...maybe even some vintage pieces! {{!gwi}}From 1920s kitchen project

You might even decide to bring the color up on the walls... {{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Congrats on the new home!

IMO, I would live with the floor as is until you are ready to redo the kitchen, particularly since you said that's planned for a year down the road. It sounds like you are asking if you should redo them now or a year down the road, not that you are asking about keeping them with the new kitchen.

In just moving into a house, it seems like it's always a sound idea to "live with it" for a little bit first. You may find some unexpected issues that require attention/money. You may decide that with the kitchen reno, you want to move things around a good bit. You may want to consider if you'll have flooring go wall to wall...if you just place it around the existing cabinetry, you might get locked into a layout that you don't necessarily want and isn't necessarily the best overall for you.

For now, what I would do is get some rather inexpensive throw rugs to cover up some of the floor - if you see the floor less, it'll be less bothersome. I wouldn't spend much on sprucing things up in there...no sense in tossing out the money for something that will only be used for a year or so.

There's going to be a lot of mess in taking up the floor and re-doing it. And then in just a short period of time, you'll be getting the dust and dirt from remodeling again. Just not worth it, in my eyes.

Also, if you wait to do the floor when you are doing the kitchen, you can decide what you want to be the "star" of the kitchen and design the rest of the things accordingly rather than trying to go with what matches the floor you just put down.

Since you are a year down the road from the kitchen remodel, I would suggest starting to get your inspiration images together - see what really calls to you for the new kitchen and clip those things. Start looking into what you want for your layout and begin working on that. Start looking into the cabinetry that will work best for your wants/needs/budget. Start looking for the person(s) that are going to do the work. In other words, there's plenty for you to do in the next year or so.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Congrats on the new home!

IMO, I would live with the floor as is until you are ready to redo the kitchen, particularly since you said that's planned for a year down the road. It sounds like you are asking if you should redo them now or a year down the road, not that you are asking about keeping them with the new kitchen.

In just moving into a house, it seems like it's always a sound idea to "live with it" for a little bit first. You may find some unexpected issues that require attention/money. You may decide that with the kitchen reno, you want to move things around a good bit. You may want to consider if you'll have flooring go wall to wall...if you just place it around the existing cabinetry, you might get locked into a layout that you don't necessarily want and isn't necessarily the best overall for you.

For now, what I would do is get some rather inexpensive throw rugs to cover up some of the floor - if you see the floor less, it'll be less bothersome. I wouldn't spend much on sprucing things up in there...no sense in tossing out the money for something that will only be used for a year or so.

There's going to be a lot of mess in taking up the floor and re-doing it. And then in just a short period of time, you'll be getting the dust and dirt from remodeling again. Just not worth it, in my eyes.

Also, if you wait to do the floor when you are doing the kitchen, you can decide what you want to be the "star" of the kitchen and design the rest of the things accordingly rather than trying to go with what matches the floor you just put down.

Since you are a year down the road from the kitchen remodel, I would suggest starting to get your inspiration images together - see what really calls to you for the new kitchen and clip those things. Start looking into what you want for your layout and begin working on that. Start looking into the cabinetry that will work best for your wants/needs/budget. Start looking for the person(s) that are going to do the work. In other words, there's plenty for you to do in the next year or so.

• ShanaMaiya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for all the input! Everyone made a whole lot of sense. Enduring really hit the nail on the head in saying we would kick ourselves if we kept the floor because I think we definitely would. (After cleaning them again I unveiled a couple of cracked tiles also that I never saw before too).

There is also a bit of a snag. The way the floor was installed we actually have to rip out the enire sub floor. UGH. Ya gotta do what you gotta do though.

I have other questions, but I should probably start a new post for them though!

Thanks again! :)

• ShanaMaiya
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for all the input! Everyone made a whole lot of sense. Enduring really hit the nail on the head in saying we would kick ourselves if we kept the floor because I think we definitely would. (After cleaning them again I unveiled a couple of cracked tiles also that I never saw before too).

There is also a bit of a snag. The way the floor was installed we actually have to rip out the enire sub floor. UGH. Ya gotta do what you gotta do though.

I have other questions, but I should probably start a new post for them though!

Thanks again! :)