Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveswindowsanddogs_gw

What first: cabinets or hardwoods? Toe kick drawers?

It's time for a new kitchen in my 85 year old pier and beam house. I have never created a kitchen from scratch, so I have been reading lots of posts in this forum and have learned so much! Even so, I still have several questions that I will post separately.

After demo, the first part of the process will be getting the subfloor level and the walls as plumb as possible (a major ordeal). I want to reinstall hardwood flooring back in the space. There is not a big footprint for cabinetry and I am fairly short so I want to install drawers in many of the toe kick boxes.

Should the hardwoods be patched and installed in the entire space before, or after, the cabinet boxes go in? If the cabinets go in first, what sort of barrier should go over the subfloor and under the cabinets? Should I plan on 6 or 7 inch toe kick boxes to accommodate more space in drawers? I am okay with the counters being a wee bit higher than usual. What happens with the lower edge of the drawers? I want the lower edge of the drawers to be above the quarter round. I don't know anyone who has toe kick drawers, nor has my contractor installed them before, so I am hoping there are some GW users who have experience with these drawers who can offer advice and suggestions.

I honestly and sincerely appreciate the time and wisdom shared by you all!

Comments (7)