Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueyoung_gw

Desperately Need Helpï¼ I'm losing my mind for the Granite!

blueyoung
10 years ago

I'm building a new house right now, and my builder only gave me a really short of time to pick my granite slabs. I'm so stressed of this. Since my husband and I both work, it's even harder for us to be there at the same time to tag what we like. I have been to the stone shop twice by myself because they don't have what we like which is Kashmir White.

I don't even know what I'm saying here. Please, please, please help me.
We picked the dark shaker style cabinets (like dark espresso), and the floor will be lighter color. We are thinking may be Special Walnut.
My husband and I both want a white counter top. But the fabricator quoted everything so expensive, we had to give up the higher end stones.
Now we come to two candidates: White Ornamental & Dallas White.
The slabs I saw, they look very similar. I don't know if it's the lighting, I did prefer Dallas White. I did see them next to each other, and Hubby wasn't there, so it's like impossible for me to make the decision.

So they cost the same, and I'm struggling to pick either one. Any advise of what the difference between these two?
Or maybe some of you have either one in your kitchen, I would LOVE to see it.

Comments (17)

• blueyoung
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the Pic above is White Ornamental.

the pic below is Dallas White

• blueyoung
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Please forgive the poor quality of the photos.
    For White Ornamental, I feel it has a green undertone, like the color shown further in the pic.

• ginny20
    10 years ago

They do look similar in the pictures, although sometimes you can can see more differences up close. The Dallas looks softer, in a way. Is there less sharp contrast, or is that just the photo? If you like it better, then you have your answer. Did you hold up a sample of the cab door to it? They are both pretty, and they both would look great with dark cabs. I think you could also use either black or SS appliances with the dark cabs and either of those granites. It will be a beautiful kitchen. I realize it's stressful, but you must be so excited, too!

• Caya26
    10 years ago

I agree with Ginny - don't overstress and overthink - if you like Dallas better - that is your answer. Try to take a sample of the cabinet door to hold up against both, if possible, as suggested.
    If you can't - I wouldn't worry too much. These slabs both look very neutral and should be fine.
    Wait to pick the backsplash and paint colours until everything else is installed, if possible - cabinets, granite, flooring, appliances - you then have two more options to tie everything else in.

Good luck, it will be lovely!

• carree
    10 years ago

You will be very happy. I qhave the espresso cabs with light floor and light counters. Making decision while working full time felt onerous but sometimes you just have to put stake in ground and commit. I prefer the Dallas, btw.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I like the Dallas. It is gorgeous! Go for it!

• cheryleb
    10 years ago

The individual who installed my granite was over on the weekend installing the backsplash. He commented on the quality of the stone I picked (Azul Aran) and how it was much better quality than the bianco antico I originally wanted. To me, they looked very similar and are also from the same country. When he spoke of quality, he meant how well it cut and was to work with. If you are torn and love them both equally well, perhaps ask the fabricator for an opinion on quality or check the size of the slabs. If one is larger and avoids a seam that could be a factor for consideration.

• Sarina
    10 years ago

Cheryleb .. Could you post a picture of your Azul Aran? That is one i am tossing around too as of last night:) Thanks

• cheryleb
    10 years ago

Of course. I love sharing pics of my kitchen. :) The first is before the faucet was installed and before we moved in but it shows a large piece. Ignore the dust and dirt. There were crews working most days.

The slabs I picked were really large so the L shaped piece has no seams. Huge plus!!

• Linda
    10 years ago

Love the Azul Aran Cheryleb! Your kitchen looks gorgeous.

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

Cheryl,
    really nice kitchen. what sink did you use?

• cheryleb
    10 years ago

It is a 16 gauge stainless with the lower center divide and two equal sized bowls. I don't remember the brand but I ordered it online. So far so good.

• Deb Halbach
    8 years ago

since this is from 2013 I probably won't receive a reply but was wondering what you picked. I too am trying to decide between Dallas White and another granite. If you get this and decided on Dallas, would you post a photo? Thanks

• Linda Doherty
    8 years ago

I did 2 different whites in my house...river white in bathrooms and viscount white in kitchen and dry bar

http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/Lindamcdani/library/

• Deb Halbach
    8 years ago

Beautiful home linda. Thanks for sharing.

• Rhonda F.
    2 years ago

@blueyoung Did you end up with Dallas White or Ornamental White? I'd love to see pictures as that is what I'm trying to decide between. That and Verona White which may be the same as one of those as well. So many names used interchangeably.