Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fldirt_gw

1st stage of kitchen remodel

fldirt
9 years ago

Hello,
I have been reading this forum for years & now we are in the 1st stage of kitchen remodel�planning & talking with Kitchen companies. I know how I want my kitchen to look�.i.e. cabinet doors, hardware, backsplash, range (AGA), hood & floor. Not sure about counter tops yet but nothing fussy as I want to use the painted glass backsplash behind range & I have terrazzo floors which I want to keep. So one of the kitchen companies has a kitchen designer who came out w/ owner/contractor to look at what we had, talked about likes/dislikes, measurements of kitchen & Living room. When she got ready to go told me that before I could see design there is a $500 fee. We live in a small area in Florida (not a big city) & I was floored that the fee would be so much. I'm not opposed to paying $$ but is this out of line or the norm? Do I really need a designer since I kind of know what I want? I have a really small kitchen but we are taking out part of a wall which has an opening to LR to make a small island. My scanner is broken so can't post any pictures yet.
Thanks so much for all the information & ideas that I have gotten from this forum.

Comments (6)

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

The smaller the kitchen, the more you need the creativity of a good designer and the versatility of a good semi custom to custom cabinet line. Most companies do require a retainer in order to release any design documents. I haven't heard of one that required it before view the design though. Before doing any measuring or design work, sure. That's also common. If you didn't click with the designer and like their work, then talk with others until you find someone. If you do click and like his past work, then pay the retainer.

• meddam
    9 years ago

I agree with Hollysprings. My KD let me see the plans, though didn't give them to me, without payment. Even though you know what you want things to look like, there are key things a designer will know - like how to make sure drawers won't hit into each other or appliances and how to maximize the space.

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

I also pretty well knew what I wanted in my new kitchen. When I was planning it, an acquaintance (not close enough to call a friend) who is a KD agreed to come for a consult. I showed her my plans and we talked, she looked around, and made suggestions. Informal and perhaps a couple hours. Then she sent me a list of suggestions. Her fee was $100, which I considered to be a bargain.

Don't know if you could arrange something like this. It was helpful to me.

• hsw_sc
    9 years ago

The one kitchen design firm we interviewed required an $1800 fee before anything was drawn up. It was her looking at my space, measuring, and then saying "When you go with us, you will pay us $1800 to start," all while she was pushing the paper towards me to sign right then.

I said, "Thank you," let her leave, and now I'm using her contractor, my own local cabinetmaker, my own counter guy (local, buys his own soapstone and marble, third generation soapstone fabricator) and design ideas from here and my cabinetmaker's designer and myself.

If I did it again I'd just GC it myself.

• fldirt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for feedback. I talked with the KD & she said that if we used themâ¦..cabinets,GC etcâ¦.then the $500 would go toward our contract. Guess you can't ask for more than that!
    I did like the KD but think I will talk with other Kitchen companies in the area.

• caligirl5
    9 years ago

I think $500 retainer is reasonable. Still I think you're smart to talk to other companies and pay $500 after you're pretty confident you want to work with that KD.