Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Medallion designer cabinet vs kraftmaid?!?!?!

Posted by DivinityMorgan (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 15:40

I have to be ordering kitchen cabinets next week... Thought I had my mind made up with Medallion designer cabinets and am now reconsidering kraftmaid... The price difference is about $2500... I am concerned to save $2500 and go with Kraftmaid and in the end have crappy cabinets to show for it...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Medallion designer cabinet vs kraftmaid?!?!?!

While I was researching cabinets, I kept coming across comments that Medallion has a very nice finish and Kraftmaid not-so-much. When we needed a vanity this year, Kraftmaid had the style we wanted, so we special ordered it--$1100 for a 36" vanity, so not cheap. I see what they mean by finish issues. In natural light, we could see runs down the front, which is probably in the varnish. A decorative trim piece is stained a little differently than the rest of the cabinet. Because it's in a bathroom without natural light, I didn't find it noticeable enough to reorder. Also, the door isn't real flush with the rest of the cabinet even though the hinges are adjusted correctly. I wouldn't want KM for a kitchen as I could see how these issues could multiply over several cabinets.

o

I had the same problem as may_flowers with a Kraftmaid bath cabinet ... the painted/glazed finish was terrible, and all eight of the door/drawer fronts had to be replaced. Within a short time, the finish started to peel up along the edges of every door/front, and they had to be replaced again, but Kraftmaid did replace them without a hassle and without charge.

o

Divinity, as a rep for Medallion, I will tell you the difference in price is essentially for a little better quality (pocket screws, white glue, state of the art glides and hinges, etc..). Kraftmaid is a good cabinet and I would not bash them, but I just wanted you to know with Medallion you would be getting a very good quality and a true enamel based paint if you are in fact looking at paints. Feel free to ask me questions if it helps, but I am sure you are working with a skilled designer already.

o

I sell both lines, and recommend Medallion every time. Finish is better, the modifications are better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here