Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beaglesdoitbetter1

My stained blue cabinets are in!!! Picture overload

beaglesdoitbetter1
12 years ago

I know there was a thread the other day where someone was asking about stained blue cabinets. Well, mine are IN! IN! Really and truly actually in my house, not in my head any more. (This is not the kitchen, of course, but I could not wait to share- the first of the many cabinets going into my house) Dutch Wood did a beautiful job- they aren't finished yet and they still need to add final detail, but I LOVE them. The stain came out even and beautiful and I could not possibly be more pleased!

The only thing I am not sure of is whether the glass on the shelves reads too green on the end and if we should get different glass panels that are lower iron to have no green tinge? Thoughts

Comments (44)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

In some pix they look brighter than others, but they sure are blue. I love how you followed your bliss and did not put the standard offerings in your house.
    I hope your kitchen ones come out just as nice and your vision becomes reality as smoothly as possible ;)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

You go beagles, how exciting!

As for the glass shelves, I don't think you will notice the green much once they are in.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

WOW,
    stunningly gorgeous. So glad you stayed with your dream.
    ~boxer

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

Beagles, that looks seriously wonderful! Love the color combo and the detail. Can't wait to see more!. Can you share the colors and staining process, please? On my monitor, it looks like an antique stain? And the glass does not look green, but I'm not seeing it IRL. If it does look green to you, I would go with no color tinge or a more grey tone.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

That blue is such a gorgeous colour. I can't wait to see it all come together. I like the yellow rope detail.

• laxsupermom
    12 years ago

Such a beautiful color! Love the rope detailing! Starfire glass costs $$$, but this might be a good place to use it, if the green bothers you.

• Lesyeuxbleu
    12 years ago

Beagles, they are truly bleutiful!

Yep, that was me, LesYeuxBlue =) that asked about blue cabs. I am proud of you for following your instincts - and thank you for posting pics. Alas, I regret that I am not brave enough.
    Great job, you will have a such unique home.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Pretty!!!

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Wow! I've never seen stained blue cabinets like that before. Your room looks incredible. Thanks for sharing.

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

See why you trust the cabinetmaker.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

celtinNE I don't know anything about the staining process- sorry :( We gave our cabinet maker a tile that we're using for our tile mural on the floor, asked him to come up w/ a stain and he did. I think it is just a regular stain not anything antique.

I think we are going to wait until the LED lights are in and stuff is on the shelves to see if the glass bothers us then, and if it does, we'll get shelves w/o any green to them at that point.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the comments too everyone :) My fiance happened to stop by the build today to look for paint colors and surprise, our cabinets were going in! I was so excited!

It was kind of funny though- he was going over to test paint colors for the great room and we have been painting the samples behind where the cabinets are going to go because they told us not to paint on the drywall because the brush strokes will show through. So, his plan to test paint was thwarted!

• ginny20
    12 years ago

So cool! I love the blue you chose. Congratulations on realizing your vision.

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

Lovely! I can see why you like your cabinet maker so well - the details are wonderful. Don't worry about the glass shelves. No one will notice.

• chiefneil
    12 years ago

Wow that looks fantastic. The gold colored detail is a really nice touch. Very nice work on the part of your cabinetmaker.

• amela
    12 years ago

Love your courage and the color! About the test paint, perhaps you can use a fine roller. That's what our painter said we could try since it would leave no strokes.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I'm excited for you beagles. I know how totally enthralling it is to see your vision come together. Yours seems to be coming together quickly (relatively). Mine took 3 years and still not done!

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

How exciting! I can't wait to see the finished product! Go Dutch Wood!!!

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

Very pretty. I love that you are seeing the results of your vision. I went with mine and am so happy I did, you will be too.

Nancy

• sophie123
    12 years ago

More pictures of blus cabinets ... not nearly as stunning but thought to share as i love blue too (although my courage in doing this is shakey!!!).

The camera makes them look a different color but they are all the same color.

The rest of the cabinets are a more neutral color.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the comments again :)

Thanks for sharing sophie- those are a beautiful blue too!

If you are thinking about doing blue cabinets, you should do it. I am so happy I did (and I haven't even seen them in person yet, just in pictures) and every time I look at them, I am going to feel happy, much more than I would have if I had settled for a neutral color.

We also have this same blue going in our dining room and being used for the conservatory window seat and library ladder. The kitchen and gathering room will have blue as well, but a different blue that was color matched to the granite.

So, moral of the story- if you don't like blue, don't come to my house :)

• marthavila
    12 years ago

Really, really . . . really nice! Hooray for you for having the courage to step out from the crowd and to put together a kitchen and house just as you wish. That's exactly how dream houses get born! My bet is that by the time everything is in place and your cabs are all loaded up, you will not notice the green glass at all.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks marthavila. I have exciting plans for these shelves. Over the past 9 or 10 years, every time I have traveled anywhere, I have bought a snowglobe (a good one, not one of those plastic dollar store things) from the location, so now I have a bunch of really nice snow globes that I plan to display.

This is a not-very-good picture of some of them in my old apartment in San Francisco (which I shall always miss!) Don't mind the capri sun, that wasn't a regular part of the decor!)

• boylanite2
    12 years ago

Is that your heart I hear singing? They are beautiful!!!! Can't wait to see more pics....

• plllog
    12 years ago

Oh, Beagles, that's splendid!!! You remind me of all that I did to get the stemware cabinets for my cheapie stems. Not that I mean that your collection is cheap, just that they're not priceless first editions or something. :) The cabinets look beautiful!!

You should know, however, that clear glass is green. It just is. There's a special kind of uncolored glass that's more of a grayish color that looks less colored, but it's expensive, and I don't even know if they make shelves of it, though you can always get them custom cut. If I were you, I'd ignore it and figure that once they're loaded with snowglobes no one will be looking at them.

• enduring
    12 years ago

Magnificent comes to mind! Your SF apartment was pretty fine too.

• User
    12 years ago

The cabinets are gorgeous. I love the gold bead in them too. Did those men mind having their picture taken for all of us? lol

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL plllog, there are no fancy first editions in our house! Even our "formal library" will mostly be stocked with a random assortment of inexpensive leather bound books from estate sales! I guess I will have to just deal w/ the green glass then, at least for the foreseeable future unless/until I'm ready to find an alternative.

marti8a, I figured the pics were only from the back so it would be OK, otherwise I'd get a model release, LOL

• Adrienne2011
    12 years ago

WOW WOW WOW OH MY GOSH!!! I wish I could see these in person. I am in awe, and I truly am looking forward to seeing more pictures. Tell those guys to hurry up and do some more neat stuff, because I am an impatient person. :oD
    Beagles... I really am impressed.

• dejongdreamhouse
    12 years ago

Those are so pretty! I love that you did what you love.

I'm wondering about your fireplace (we're in the midst of deciding what to do with ours). Can you tell me more about what you're doing up the wall?

• htracey
    12 years ago

Love them!

• honorbiltkit
    12 years ago

Wow. Gorgeous. Moreover, they clearly are stained blue cabinets, not painted blue cabinets. Congratulations on persevering with your vision, with such splendid results.

If you can find out how the finish was achieved, I for one would be really interested. What is the wood? Was it conditioned before staining? Did it have to be bleached? Were incantations chanted while a wand is waved involved?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Ooh, I can't wait to see the finished project. Your drawings were so interesting and it's so much fun to see them starting to become real.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

BEA-GLES, BEA-GLES, BEA-GLES

WOOOOH-hooo!

Just wanted to to do a little cheer for you! They look great! And good for you to follow your heart.

I'm thinking of using Dutch Wood if we do a new build, or even if I have to rip out an awful kitchen.....so glad your experience is a positive one.

are you in Central PA?

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Love seeing colors used, but you do have to know that it is a color you have always been at ease with. That's why I put blue in my kitchen. I love other colors, but blue has always been the one that seems to be "mine". I chuckled at your intentional use of the color in your dining room etc. I started with painting blue over the pink dining room that was ghere when I bought the house. The I added the blue cabinets. We had to do some drywall repair in the dining room and I felt the paint seemed to have faded a bit, so rather than touching up, we freshened up everything. After mixing and remixing the paint and then finishing the room, I walked into the kitchen and thought OMG -- I just matched the kitchen cabinets! So I backed into the same color and mine is all paint, but at least we both know what we like an anyone who doesn't like blue will never buy our house -- if we're willing to sell. ;-)

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

What strikingly beautiful cabinets; I can't wait to see yours installed! The stain looks a lot like milk paint.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL, Adrienne2011 you can come over whenever you want to and see the cabinets in person, especially if you can help pick paint colors or put together chandeliers! ;) Seriously. Anyone want to put together chandeliers? Please? Anyone?

ICFgreen we are doing stone all the way up our fireplace, the same stone that is on the outside of our house. It's real stone, not stone veneer. I don't have a pic, but I THINK they will be putting it on soon (I found out that was why these cabinets had to go in now, they needed them in before putting stone on)

honorbiltkit I am going up to PA to see my cabinet maker on labor day weekend and I will ask him then. They are extremely busy right now and I don't want to ask him to type everything out for me about how the stain was done. If I get an answer as to exactly how the staining was done, I will definitely post it on here. I am about 99.9 percent sure they just used domestic USA-made no/low VOC 3/4 maple plywood for these cabinets like they are doing for all the others in our house. I'm not sure about the magic wand and incantations ;) When they made us our stain sample, Jason's dad just went in the back and mixed it up somehow and put it on wood. The whole thing took about 4 minutes and there was no bleaching or staining or anything involved, so I'd be surprised if they bleached here...

beekeeperswife we are in Wernersville (made famous by being the home of Jon & Kate Plus 8, LOL) so a bit over an hour outside Philly. I am sure Dutch Wood will be willing to go to you (you're going to be outside Harrisburg right or am I totally off?) They are going to Brooklyn and Washington DC to do cabinets for people who found him off of GW. Needless to say, I would highly recommend them if you do a kitchen or need any type of cabinets for your new home.

Thanks to everyone else again as well for looking and commenting :)

• shelayne
    12 years ago

AMAZING!

I am *all about* blue!

I can't wait to see more!

• onerae
    12 years ago

Fabulous!! I LOVE blue...can I come to your house!!??

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Looking at this thread again -- got a chuckle that the guys both wore blue shirts for the install and the photo op. They got the memo. Look forward to more pictures.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

onerae, sure, come over. See above regarding requirement of being able to put chandeliers together though :)

lascatx, I never noticed that but that's funny. You are exactly right, they did coordinate well! I wonder if they'll wear white when they install our white cabinets and yellow when they install our yellow ones. I'll keep ya updated if they do :)
    I'm not sure when they are actually finishing the cabinets. They need the other fluted detail and there is a yellow stripe in the baseboard and yellow rope molding to go along the top which they still have to add.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I wanted to wait to open your thread to have sufficient time to take all the detail in. They are such a beautiful blue!! I love that you're having the house build how YOU want it. It's so you, Beagles, and I've never even met you.

Congratulations on the perfect blue and the progress! Progress is gooooooooooood.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks breezy. Progress is definitely good, although I think more important for you than for us :) I read in the other threat your ceiling is being resolved, I'm so glad for you!

• Tim
    12 years ago

Not sure if you've sorted your glass shelving, but I have Starfire glass shelves in my kitchen and while they don't have a dark edge, they are not perfectly clear. Light green tinge to them.