Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sixkeys

More refrigerator space drama

sixkeys
9 years ago

The last time I was here on GW, I had discovered the width was too narrow. Now that the upper cabinet was installed, I think the vertical clearance might be too small.

Right now, from the floor to the bottom of the cabinet is 70.5 inches. I know that we can get a fridge for less than 70", but it seems that many on the market are 71-73". I explained this to my cabinet maker, but something got lost in translation and we don't have that space. He was very nice when we brought it up, but said that refrigerators taller than 70" are not common and that when we look at the dimensions listed online that this is the size of the box that the fridge is shipped in, not the fridge itself - really???? That doesn't make sense to me. I think he completely forgot about my request, and I am not going to argue with him.

Sorry this is long winded. Is 70.5" enough space to work with? Or, should I order a shorter cabinet to go in the space?

Thank you!

Comments (9)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

He's nuts when he says the dimensions listed are of the shipping box and not the refrigerator.

Have you already picked out your refrigerator? If so, check the manufacturers website and make sure it's going to fit!

Also, are you replacing flooring, and if so, don't forget to account for the height of that (if it's not already installed).

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I haven't picked out a fridge. A long time ago (when we placed the order) I told him I wanted 72" since I hadn't decided on a fridge and that dimension seemed to give me flexibility. I actually just found the diagram that he sent to me with a cabinet above the fridge that is 18" tall. He told my husband that the cabinet currently above the fridge is 21" tall. So it seems that he placed an order for a cabinet that is too big. I wonder if I signed off on a different cabinet? If so, who is responsible? I thought I was getting the picture that he sent to me.

Or, if 70.5" is enough for most refrigerators, then maybe I won't even bring it up again.

Flooring is already installed, so that dimension won't change.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

There are 79 models listed on AJ Madison in the the 70-70.9" group, if that helps.

But if you requested an 18" cabinet and he installed a 21" instead, he should right it.

Here is a link that might be useful: 70-70.9

• Mags438
    9 years ago

My existing fridge is exactly 69.75"h. (We used an existing fridge for remodel since it was in great shape). Did you select a fridge model before finalizing cabinetry design?

• ardcp
    9 years ago

i have a new french door lg and it is 70 1/4 " in the front and 69" in the back under my cabinet. i do not have the extended cabinet just the standard 12" depth one. i was worried it wouldn't fit under my old cabs and took it down for the fridge delivery but it would have been no problem.
    hope that helps!

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did not select a fridge.

Update - we measured the cabinet and he DID order the right size (18"). I don't know why he said 21" over the phone, but that doesn't matter.

So now I think the problem is either (1) Drywall was not installed at the appropriate height or (2) Cabinet guy didn't measure vertical dimension properly (or didn't account for flooring, etc).

This sounds dumb, but when I look at refrigerator specs, am I looking at the height of the case or the height to the top of the door hinge? For example, one fridge has a case that is 68 7/8" tall, the height to top of door hinge is 70 1/4" tall and we need a 1" clearance on the top of it. So do I need a 69 7/8" space or a 71 1/4" space?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

The hinge is going to sit in front of a conventional full depth 24" cabinet, so the top of the hinge can really be taller than the height under the cabinet. In other words, a full depth fridge sticks out a lot.

If you look at AJ Madison, I think you can plug in certain measurements and then with specific fridges that fit into your criteria, start looking at cabinet height vs. hinge height.

• sixkeys
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, thanks! Then this might not be a problem at all. I guess I just need to make sure the cabinet door would still open all of the way and clear the door hinge?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Yes, and that depends on the style of the cabinet door. If you have full overlay doors that go all the way to the bottom of the frame of the cabinet, you could still have a problem opening the doors all the way.