Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schmaltzy_gw

Kitchen rug

schmaltzy
9 years ago

Hi all,

I have decided it is finally time to chuck my gel pro mat with the curling edges. I would like to replace it with something longer and I'd like some cushion, but it doesn't have to be as cushy as the gel pro. I have 4 dogs and my 2 seniors are incontinent, so it will need to withstand frequent cleaning. I have waterhog mats by my doors and they are perfect there, but not soft enough for extended standing. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Beth

Comments (5)

• brightm
    9 years ago

I look forward to hearing this. I ditched the idea of kitchen rugs when I had a particular cat who took any rectangle on the floor as a litterbox. She's been gone and I've never gone back to a mat. But with new tile floors (previous vinyl) I'm thinking it's something to consider.

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

OK, I am going to paste the same photo here that I took today to use in another post (Wood in the Kitchen) on this forum. But this time I have to tell you the story of the rug!

We bought the 23" x 10' rug on a vacation through the northeastern provinces of Canada. Can't remember where. It had been cut in two pieces, hot glued on the cut edges so it wouldn't fray, and was therefore "ruined." I needed a rug in the kitchen and did not like the one I had. (I had polio as a child and slipping on fallen veggies and hardwood floors is a hazard. A rug eliminates that hazard.) It became ours, after bargaining, for $50.

I brought it home, sewed it together, and used it for a couple of years in the kitchen. Sometime during this time, our then young 80 pound labradoodle dug a hole all the way through the rug and pulled up the pad underneath. I came in the kitchen to see what looked like a pink foam flower blooming in the middle of the runner.
    The rug continued its existence for another year or so with a dark piece under the 4 x 6 inch excavation.
    Recently I took it to a reputable Oriental rug store for cleaning and asked them what it would have been worth if it had not been savaged. The owner looked at it, and replied, "Oh, thousands! But now we would just use it for patching."
    They patched it with someone else's relic and it is again in my kitchen. I doubt it was ever worth thousands, but it makes me smile.

Thank you for letting me tell my tale ;-)

Here's the rug. I love the way it brings pattern into the kitchen.

Hope you can find such a good bargain--and a better-behaved dog!

• schmaltzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great story!

• quadesl
    9 years ago

I have Turtlemats all over the house including near the kitchen sink. They are very nicely made and can be cleaned in a normal size washer. Available direct from the UK only as far as I can tell.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turtlemat

This post was edited by Quadesl on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 3:28

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Bellsmom, that is a great story and a beautiful rug. Also, I don't thing he was having you on. Genuine Persian rugs are worth a fortune.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer