Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socalsister_gw

Green Designs & LWO:galley-prep sink+barn door

socalsister
11 years ago

DH thought that having the kitchen ripped out would speed this along, but...still no further with design--and it's been 3 months! Family of 2 adults, 2 teen boys--very tall family!

I hope you can help.

Original kitchen cons:

no counter space (where I needed it--next to cooktop, on both sides of sink)

oven opened into eat-in area

refrigerator too far from eat-in area and mw

only one sink--prep and cleanup shared same space

raised counter to narrow to be useful--junk collector

counter near eat-in area not useful--junk collector

corner cab useless--and angle prevented two people from working together

deep pantry with center stile

door to DR blocked counter when open

no windows along cooktop wall--zero lot line--sliding doors are 8 feet tall--only natural light

Original kitchen pros:

sink faced family room (did all of my prep here)and not visible from front door since we had the raised counter

oven at counter height--no bending

Modified layout:

barn door pocket door (wall between DR and kitchen is shear wall--$9800 to create normal pocket door that would save 3 inches of space!)

mw moved near refrigerator end: will try to train the kids to enter the kitchen from the barn door side

DH really wants a prep sink--don't know how useful one is right behind the table--DH thinks we won't be using it when someone is seated--want near cooktop for draining as well as prep

keeping cooktop in same location since it was okay before--thought about switching with fridge, but then cooktop would be the first thing seen from front door (if barn door open)

switching to induction (keeping gas connection in case someone else wants it down the road) and undercounter GE single double oven--really wanted double ovens but want counter space even more--hope this works

Thoughts?

First floor floorplan:

Original layout:

New layout:

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!