Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brightm

Going to try to chill in the home stretch

brightm
9 years ago

They ARE finishing my floor tile today.

They WILL install my granite tomorrow.

They WILL install my fridge and range the next day.

My initial plan was to have this reno finished mid-summer so these two school teachers could acclimate to it the remainder of our time off. But...you know how that goes.

DH started work three days ago and I start Monday.

Lately my goal has been to have a functioning kitchen sink before I go to work, and it looks like that might even be a stretch (faucet/plumbing-wise). So, I've decided to chill. Having a sink would be great, but there are lots of other details to be tended to, so it's not like it would be DONE at that time, there is still a bunch to do.

Still need to have the electrical finished up for the island, DW and a few other things. (That has to happen before install of remaining appliances mid-week...that, I might still stress about).

Still have finish work on cabinets (moldings, adjusting doors, etc.)

Pendants will happen sometime in the near future and backsplash...ha, who knows.

I'm fortunate to have a retired MIL who will babysit the house and workers (almost) whenever I need. And I WILL be here for the countertop install. That's a biggie.

So if I have to keep washing dishes in a tub in the bathtub, okay. If we have to keep making ice cubes, okay. If I have to keep filling the Brita in the bathroom, fine. I can wait another few days or a week.

I'm putting this here so I really let the dream of the ASAP sink go.

Comments (13)

• Marc Johnson
    9 years ago

Cal, may I suggest this for a sink upgrade? It definitely helps :)

• vdinli
    9 years ago

marcojhonson, THAT will be the sink of my dreams! maybe we could convert the NeverMT to attach to a wine bottle(err barrel) instead of a soap bottle!!
    cal, I sympathize with your sink situation. You will get there. sounds like you should have a working sink soon. Maybe the plumber can be bribed with a 6 pack? Hang in there-the finishing steps seem to take twice as long!!
    Btw, I took a peak at your floor tile on the other thread. Gorgeous!! looks like a great install too.

• brightm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys. I WAS tempted to pour a little something in my juice this afternoon, but I didn't. ;)

Tile guys are finishing up. I do think I got the A-crew. The guy who measures mentioned that there's one crew that everyone wants. They do a nice job, are polite, jovial, etc. There's another crew that does an equally good job, but they're gruff. The gruff one was supposed to be here. I got the nicer brother. :)

I agree that it looks really good. You can tell when someone takes such pride in their work. The thoughtful way they look at it when they're figuring out the BEST way to lay it out, not the fastest or easiest way.

That is SOME sink. ;) I'd be a bit afraid of it thought, since I won't get my washer and dryer for almost a week. I'll have to settle for heading to the inlaws for dinner. ALMOST as good.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I have to say, I don't miss bathtub dishes at all! Hang in there, Lady. It will get done, and it will be beautiful :)

• jennifer132
    9 years ago

Bathtub dishes stink! It's particularly horrible bc while you are cleaning the dishes in the bathtub you are forced to confront how badly your bathroom needs to be remodeled!

Hang in there.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Dang! Well, you are still pretty darn close. It is a bummer you couldn't have even a few days in your new kitchen before going back to work...but Labor Day weekend is right around the corner!

• brightm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jennifer132, you hit the nail on the head. Every time I'm in my bathtub now I'm measuring something, lol.

And you and Errant aren't much help. You're supposed to tell me that bathtub dishes are an adventure to be savored. (Can you tell I took marcojohnson up on that post a bit?). ;)

Yes, I'm trying to look to Labor Day as an ABB day. You hit that right greenhaven.

Since I know the kitchen won't be perfected until some additional shelves and ROTS etc. are ordered, I'm going to try to focus on getting a couple other rooms put together better over the weekend. Or not.

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

Marco's finally updated kitchen faucet made me laugh out loud. What a great idea! Thanks, Marco.

I trust, Cal, that you are adding that to your next-time-remodel list.

You have a real treasure with the MIL who can renovation-sit when you cannot be there. Maybe get her a wine faucet also.

I am so anxious to see your finished projects. Don't wait until they are entirely completed to post pics . We love along-the-way pics.

• brightm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's this morning's pics. Granite guys due in 7 min. Yeah, I'm relaxed.

Feel free to poke around the photobucket. It's mostly kitchen, all house.

• Marc Johnson
    9 years ago

Cal- that's gorgeous! You have the same cabs I had in our last house - still love them - they are timeless, classics! We almost - by a hair - went with that exact same floor tile for the new remodel! And your green tile walls will make my husband green with envy :)

Silly somewhat off-topic ? - how did you post 3 pics in a post? I still haven't figured that out yet!

• brightm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Use photobucket (or the like...read the first thread in the forum). You grab the html links from there. You don't upload them to GW. You upload them to the photo site and just post links here.

What you grab and post looks like this:
    a href="http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/cal_quail/media/Kitchen/Granite%20Install%20Day/863EFC44-81E1-428E-8293-73BCB3EAC174_zpsr9m8vvt4.jpg.html"; target="_blank">

(I just cut off one thing to show you.)

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

Love the kitchen pics and the granite looks great on the island. Oh, I enjoy thinking of your pleasure. So very soon you can load your cabinets and start cooking!

• vdinli
    9 years ago

That mesquite granite is gorgeous!! Ooh la la!