Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help choosing backsplash - pics included!

Posted by hake0723 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 15:28

We just installed Colonial Gold granite countertops in our kitchen, and now I'm having trouble picking a backsplash. It's so hard to tell what will look good until it's all up on the wall! We placed an order for subway tile based on a sample that we loved, but the shipment we received was much lighter than the sample. Subway tile is pictured below.
Does the subway tile blend in too much with the counters? We can't decide if it looks good or not...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help choosing backsplash - pics included!

I just received two other samples today. Would either of these look better?

o

Up against the granite

o

The first one looks great! What's bothering you about it? The others are too fleshy--Band-aid pink. Blech!

o

I far prefer your subway tile to either other option. I like the light that it brings.

o

My husband and I just weren't sure if it blended in too much with the countertops and cabinets.. We were afraid that it was all too much white/lightness. My original vision for the kitchen was light and bright, but I started second guessing the backsplash once I put more of it up.

Does anyone have ideas of anything that would look better than the subway tile? Should we go a little darker for more contrast?

o

Another view

o

I much prefer the color of the subway tile to the other two samples. Maybe a darkish grout?

o

I'd pull out the gray from the granite if you want contrast. Solid ceramic or crackle tile.

o

I would like to see something a little darker for some contrast and a ceramic look rather than stone.
Look at the Enchanted Shadow color on this link. It is Jeffrey Court Vintage Studio Collection and tile is a pretty soft variegated color. I have it in the color Antique Lace, a cream and really like it a lot. There is a dealer location function on this page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeffrey Court Enchanted Shadow

This post was edited by tinker1121 on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 16:30

o

I like what you have! Pretty!

o

I think the color of the first one (tumbled marble?) is perfect with both your countertops & cabinets. I also like the mini brick pattern & size. If you want a little more sparkle, you could do the same tile concept in a polished marble, as in the pic below.

This post was edited by romy718 on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 9:11

o

I vote for the first one, hands down, although the one tinker posted could look pretty dang fabulous, maybe.

o

I like something close to the cabinet color...and polished finish.

o

The first one is beautiful and looks very cohesive.

o

I'm with Tinker. I am not crazy about the stone or stone-look next to your stone countertops. A ceramic subway would be fabulous, and they would each look great, a bit of contrast without the competing stone thing.

o

I like the subway. What's the name of it?

o

We have similar granite and went with subways in a variegated light beige. I love the look. I would stick with the subways- ceramic looks great next to granite.

o

I'm loving the first one you posted and the picture posted by romy nails it for me. I really love your granite! Great choice. It should remain the star : )

o

I love the first one. It makes your kitchen bright and fresh!

o

Thanks so much for the suggestions and input everyone!

For everyone who wanted to know the name of the backsplash in my first photo, it's a 2x4 crema marfil tumbled marble from The Tile Shop.

Now that most of you have pointed out how the stone competes with the granite I realize that that's what was bothering me about it before. I'm going to get some ceramic samples or a polished marble for some more sparkle and see how that looks.

Tinker - I absolutely LOVE that variegated ceramic tile! I'm going to get some samples. It reminds me of the backsplash in this kitchen (one of my inspiration photos) that I thought was so gorgeous.

o

If you like the variegated tile, you can also look at Grazia Melange. Here's a bad picture of my backsplash, but hopefully you can see my point with the variation:

photo F5BE2166-6436-411F-8D71-C3D83F392C6B_zpshp6rol6x.jpg

o

purpleyes, that tile is gorgeous!

o

Thanks Tinker!

o

I love your kitchen and backsplash Purpleeyes! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check out the grazia tile as well.

Another sample just came in that I had ordered a week ago.. It's a polished crema marfil marble. I just love this 1x3 herringbone! Do you think the herringbone pattern competes too much with the granite? I'm afraid that it would be too busy with herringbone on the entire wall, even though I love that pattern so much.

I'll get some samples of ceramic tiles that you all have suggested and post the photos here soon to get your awesome feedback! Thanks again, this has been so helpful!

This post was edited by hake0723 on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 21:44

o

I like the brick pattern with your countertops. If your still ordering samples the backsplash in the pic I posted (from a post by Edb2n) is 1x2" Venus Marble Moaic in Milky White, polished, from Olympla Tile. It's marble so the colors are going to vary from lot to lot. It also comes in other sizes.
PurpleEyes - beautiful backsplash. I love the color variation.

o

We got some Jeffrey Court vintage subway tile samples. Enchanted shadow is the darkest, antique lace is the medium, and crisp linen is the lightest. What do you all think? It's hard for me to tell until I get more up on the wall, but unfortunately we would have to place an order before we could get more tiles.

o

Photo #2

o

Photo 3

o

Photo 4

o

It's really hard to get a sense for the undertones in the tiles with that in the granite. The light one would be a classic look. Antique lace looks like it would make a more monochromatic look that could be very nice, too, and is a good choice if your cabinets and the lighter one aren't the same. On my computer the darkest one, although I love it, seems to fight with the golds in the stone. Looks to rosy or too gray...?

o

Photo 5

o

Hake - i was just looking at your backsplash options and I see you on the verge of making the same mistake I did! The ceramic white(ish) subway is gorgeous! The tan/pink tones will probably end up looking like mine did. I had a backsplash of some porcelain look travertine that matched the undertones of my granite. I hated it from the minute I had it grouted. It made the whole backsplash & countertop blend into one pink-flesh tone gob. And of course it was too expensive to replace right away! I looked at it for 8 yrs and hated it every day! I am in the process of installing white ceramic subway; even though I am not finished, it looks so clean next to my counter. Wish I had taken a picture of that awful combination just to show you!

o

Hake - i was just looking at your backsplash options and I see you on the verge of making the same mistake I did! The ceramic white(ish) subway is gorgeous! The tan/pink tones will probably end up looking like mine did. I had a backsplash of some porcelain look travertine that matched the undertones of my granite. I hated it from the minute I had it grouted. It made the whole backsplash & countertop blend into one pink-flesh tone gob. And of course it was too expensive to replace right away! I looked at it for 8 yrs and hated it every day! I am in the process of installing white ceramic subway; even though I am not finished, it looks so clean next to my counter. Wish I had taken a picture of that awful combination just to show you!

o

Rhome - thanks for the input. I was also thinking that the enchanted (darkest tile) was too gray.

JJsmama - I'm glad I posted on here to avoid making the same mistake! I know what you mean about it all blending into one fleshy mess.. That's how I was feeling about the first marble backsplash, and I'm glad I listened to my gut on that one. Thanks for the advice, we are definitely starting to see how the lightest tile is the best choice now. I hope you love your new backsplash!

o

I like the lightest. I still like the look of your original, in a polished version or possibly a ceramic with slight variation in color.

o

Hake0723 I like the Jeffrey Court Crisp Linen, the lightest, with your granite and agree the Enchanted Shadow is too dark with the new pictures of your granite. I do like the Venus Marble that romy posted a lot too. I would just be nervous of the variations you can get with the marble.

Maybe this will help to see more than one tile and what its worth, here is a close up of the Jeffrey Court in the Antique Lace color that I have and the color variation and beveled style is what makes a statement yet does not compete. It is hard to see the variation in the Crisp Linen in your photo. Is there much?

o

Here is a close up of the tile in the Antique Lace color next to Absolute Cream granite with is not as light as your choice.

You are on the home stretch now and whatever you choose will be gorgeous. Can't wait to see the final pics!

o

Tinker-really pretty!

o

Tinker - thanks for the photos. That's really pretty! There isn't much variation in the crisp linen, which is disappointing because I was wanting some. I'm trying to get ahold of grazia melange and rixi samples as well before I decided.

o

Hake, I have tons of Grazia Melange tiles left (I over-ordered at a tile store with no return policy!), so I would always be willing to mail you a bunch if you'd like. I know the Green Tea probably isn't the color that works best with your granite, but if you're interested, let me know!

o

Ok, guys... I FINALLY received the grazia melange milk blend sample in the mail today. Let me know what you think! The 3x6 tile next to the grazia is the Jeffrey Court crisp linen that seemed to be the favorite color out of the 3 sample colors I posted before.

Purpleeyes: that's very sweet of you to offer, but I hadn't been checking the forum and I just saw you post! Thanks though!

This post was edited by hake0723 on Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 19:45

o

Grazia #2

This post was edited by hake0723 on Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 19:37

o

Grazia #3

This post was edited by hake0723 on Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 19:49

o

Different lighting at night (granite looks more white).. Somehow it looks different at different times of the day

This post was edited by hake0723 on Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 20:20

o

I think the 3X6 is a nice match in both daylight and night. The 2X4 looks better at night than during the day where they look off a little bit.
I am on the hunt for a cream tile too- originally wanted glass but can't seem to find any around here(Long island, NY) at least. I might just go with some kind of ceramic but would like it to be different from the 3X6 if possible. Where did you order your Grazia samples from?

o

Thanks for the input vinudev_liny… the only thing is that I like the size of the 2x4 so much better! And the size fits perfectly in the space under the bar. The 3x6 would require a tiny sliver of tile at the top of the wall which I'm afraid will look bad.

I agree that something looks a bit "off". I'm wondering if I should just go with the "milk" color instead of the "milk blend" to avoid the tiles that lean gray/blue that give it the slight color variation.

I ordered my samples from http://www.artistictile.net/store/wall-tile-melange-sample.html -- I bought 2 samples (6 tiles come with each sample) the website says one sample per tile per customer, but I specified the tile size and that I needed 12 tiles for my sample in the "notes" section of my order. It did take a while for them to get sent out though!

This post was edited by hake0723 on Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 20:21

o

Yeah I think the Grazia is too cold. Did you happen to get the Butter color too? If I had to choose between these two, I'd choose the Crisp Linen tile. But I agree, I like the size of the Grazia better.

o

Haha...I thought you were showing different samples/different colors of the Grazia, and I was going to say I liked #2 best! I think you've gotten so close, that only your eye will see what's best. The Jeffrey Court looks closest in color on my screen, but that doesn't hold much value. There is too much difference between photos and reality, added to possible color distortion on different computer monitors. Keep walking into the kitchen at different times of day and let it catch your eye (try to see it for the first time, out of the corner of your eye as you work, etc), and see what keeps appealing to you most.

o

I know-I am looking for a different kind of subway too.
Thanks for the info on artistictile. I am on a time crunch-so good to know that they take a while to send out samples.

o

I too prefer the 2x4 subway. Am trying to find it affordably in a creamy tone.

I actually really like your first choice in the original photo. Is that one no longer in the running?

o

I don't like the last one - too much white. Honestly, I think its all too much white/cream.

You need some contrast with either color or texture. Must it be subway? How about a border at the bottom with some punch. 1 row of tile, then a border, then more tile. Let me see if I can find a pic on houzz.

o

o

I like the 2X4 size also & agree that the "Milk" rather than the blend might work.
Keep us posted.

o

I love my JC tile but I have more colors in my granite and black appliances for some drama.

I like the Crisp Linen 3 x 6 from your picture but agree you need to punch it up a bit.

Take your time with this is my call. Wait until you can get excited and say THAT'S IT!! There are so many great choices out there and bring as many samples home as you have to and The One will be obvious to you.

o

Thanks for all the feedback! I was getting tired of trying to make the all white look work and thought I'd switch it up with some glass tiles. Opinions?

The wall color very likely will be changing to a greige so don't let that influence you too much.

o

The tile is from Home Depot, color is arctic ice.

This post was edited by hake0723 on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 17:55

o

And one more. I'm sure there's a way to post more than one picture in a message, but it can't figure it out on my ipad. Sorry about that!

This post was edited by hake0723 on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 17:56

o

The very first one is a good color match. Did you find a polished marble like you said you were going to?

With the white/cream ceramic tiles, all seem to work with the granite, so I'd pick the one closest to the color of the cabs. Don't go as white as the DW.

The aqua...no relationship to the granite. I also don't think you need pillows and herringbone. Can we see a wider shot of your kitchen? You seem to think the granite isn't enough color and pattern.

o

Mayflowers: the polished marble in the crema marfil had way too much veining and pattern for my liking. I haven't found any others that I like. I was actually leaning away from matching the color of the backsplash with the counters because I didn't like how it all blended into one giant marble mush.

What do you you mean "pillows and herringbone"?

o

Here's a wider shot of the kitchen

o

And another view

This post was edited by hake0723 on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 18:36

o

Yeah, the more I look at the aqua, it sucks. I'm getting desperate! haha. Maybe I just don't like the look of a backsplash at all… :-/

This post was edited by hake0723 on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 19:23

o

Stick with your cream on cream. You can always put color in with other things. You're on the right track! I think that is the way to go just a little more off white than the ones you presently have. It's going to be fabulous. You're right, trying to put yet another color in there is what NOT to do. (As in What Not to Wear : /)

o

You could use a light tan grout with the small ceramic subways. It would provide just a little subtle color to tie the granite to the cabinets and break up the white.

o

vinudev_liny - I just ordered more samples and since I know you're looking for a cream subway, I thought I'd share. Anchor Bay Tile is the company. They have 2x4 and 3x6, beveled and regular with a few nice creamy options.

http://www.anchorbaytile.com/Subway-Ceramic-Tile-Beveled-2x4-inch/

I'm hoping that the Cardiff crackle glaze tile in Bisque will be perfect!

oh btw, it says they ship within 24-48 hours!

This post was edited by hake0723 on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 21:22

o

Mayflowers - great point. I'll keep that in mind when picking the grout color, thanks.

o

Do you think you'd like a glass caramel colored accent row with cream subways? A lot of people here dislike accent tiles, but I think they're nice when they're in the same color family as the field tiles (versus being a "pop of color"). It adds some sparkle, which would dress up the raised bar area.

FYI, I think you might run into the dilemma of where to end the tile, at the edge of the counter or the side of the wall cabinet. The answer is at the side of the cabinet.

o

Like your initial choices best. Don't like the shiny tile BS, next to the shiny granite CT, next to the shiny bright white cabs. If not stone, perhaps a tile with a matte finish. JMO

o

Mayflowers - great point. I'll keep that in mind when picking the grout color, thanks.

o

Thanks, hake0723. I am going to try some samples from them. Though, don't tell DH! He just wants to decide and order and be done with it already!

o

I really like the last creamy subway tile you posted.

I had a similar granite as you and we used 3X6 botticino marble that was polished. I loved it! Here is a pic.

o

Honestly, I would have just done the whole thing in granite and called it a day.
I guess I am not helping you. Sorry!

o

Alright y'all, I got the last of my samples in. Ignore the random paint colors, I was sampling a few greige paints :)

I was mistaken before, the grazia melange is 2.5x5 not 2x4. Far left is cottage lane summer beige 2x4, middle is the grazia that we thought was too cool (for comparison), far right is Cardiff subway in bisque with crackle glaze. I'm thinking the Cardiff on the right is perfect. Thoughts??

This post was edited by hake0723 on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 20:57

o

The Cardiff also comes in beveled and flat... So many decisions! ;)

o

Another view of flat vs beveled.

o

Love the cardiff! I would do beveled, but that's a matter of taste.

o

I think the Cardiff looks good with the granite and cabs. I don't like the beveled--too fussy and too matchy with your drawer fronts.

o

My vote is for the flat Cardiff.

o

I have to vote for the beveled. It just adds some uniqueness but I am not a fan of the crackle. This is so hard but whatever you choose you know it will be right as you are taking your time.

This post was edited by tinker1121 on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 6:04

o

I like the Cardiff beveled.

o

I'm going to jump in here and vote cardiff flat too. Beveled is what PP is referring to as "pillow" and I agree it might be a little too fussy for your kitchen but I'm a simple girl with simple tastes so take it with a grain of salt.

Also, before you consider crackle glaze on a backsplash, wipe one of those tiles down with a wet rag once and see if it discolors - you might have to seal it otherwise it can stain. Good luck with your project!

o

Swentastic is correct. You may need to seal crackle tile. Just to mess you up a bit, you might consider 2x10 inch or another variation. We went with 2x8's from Sonoma. Good luck.

o

Cardiff. No opinion re flat or beveled.

May flower is always right on, especially with suggestion about grout color.

o

Cardiff looks perfect-glad you found your tile!

o

>> may_flowers (My Page) on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 23:27
I think the Cardiff looks good with the granite and cabs. I don't like the beveled--too fussy and too matchy with your drawer fronts.

Wow, good eyes - the beveled matching the drawer fronts.

That would make me want to do beveled!

o

My vote is for the flat Cardiff also! Beautiful kitchen! I love the counters so much!

o

Another pic of beveled, crema marfil :)
We love it!
Good luck!

o

i like the color of the first choice very much -- and also of the 'milk'. however, why not just continue the gorgeous granite up the back? let the items you have out on the counter steal the show, and just continue up with the granite??

o

Oh, that Cardiff is perfect! I love it! I love beveled tiles, but I actually agree with it maybe being too matchy with your cabinets.

If you can get it in a 2x8 or 2x10 that would be marvie! Would not feel "squeezed" under your bar, and adds a little contemporary touch without being in-your-face about it.

o

Thank you all so much for the advice you've given!!! I took it all to heart, stared at my samples... And stared some more. After much agonizing over flat vs beveled, I finally I ordered the flat Cardiff. Here is a photo of it taped up onto a portion of the wall. Opinions??

Any advice on grout color? Looks like a trip to Lowes is in our future to get grout and other supplies so we can finally get this backsplash up!

This post was edited by hake0723 on Tue, Sep 23, 14 at 21:15

o

I think it looks beautiful. I would do a matching grout. With smaller size tiles, a contrasting grout might make it look busy. I really, really like it.

o

I like it too. I just cancelled a very expensive order I had for some fancy tile and went with the really cheap subway tile from Lowes. So happy I did! It is the perfect backdrop for other things I want in the kitchen.

o

Hake, congrats on making your backsplash decision. You hung in there and looks like you will get out of ABB with the perfect selection!! I'm sooo jealous

o

Thanks everyone!!! I love it too! I still wonder if I would've liked the beveled better once I got more of it up, but the flat is a nice simple backdrop that I think I won't get tired of as easily. I just wanted to make sure Im understanding what mayflower said a while ago about where to stop the tile. Is it correct that I should continue it onto the wall with the single cabinet and end it where I'm pointing in this picture?

This post was edited by hake0723 on Wed, Sep 24, 14 at 8:21

o

It's still a side splash, which I typically wouldn't tile, even though there's a cab over it. But you have a sink nearby. The granite looks tight to the wall, so I think caulk and a washable paint is enough protection from occasional splashing. If you leave standing water from draining dishes, I'd tile, but I doubt you do that with white granite.

You could tile it the height of the raised bar, which I think is what you intend with your finger placement. But that leaves a small area of wall between the tile and cabinet, which would look like you ran out of tile if it were done on a row of cabinets. So you could do just two rows of tile. I would bring it to the end of the counter in that case, but normally I'd say stop at the upper cabinet. Tape some up and let's see what looks best.

o

You nailed it! It's perfect. I agree with mayflowers, no tile on the side splash, not needed. In the last house I had a sink 5 inches from the side splash and didn't need it, so you will be absolutely fine without tile there.

o

I agree with Mayflowers too, no side splash.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here