Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hake0723

Need help choosing backsplash - pics included!

hake0723
9 years ago

We just installed Colonial Gold granite countertops in our kitchen, and now I'm having trouble picking a backsplash. It's so hard to tell what will look good until it's all up on the wall! We placed an order for subway tile based on a sample that we loved, but the shipment we received was much lighter than the sample. Subway tile is pictured below.
Does the subway tile blend in too much with the counters? We can't decide if it looks good or not...

Comments (101)

• romy718
    9 years ago

I like the 2X4 size also & agree that the "Milk" rather than the blend might work.
    Keep us posted.

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

I love my JC tile but I have more colors in my granite and black appliances for some drama.

I like the Crisp Linen 3 x 6 from your picture but agree you need to punch it up a bit.

Take your time with this is my call. Wait until you can get excited and say THAT'S IT!! There are so many great choices out there and bring as many samples home as you have to and The One will be obvious to you.

• hake0723
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback! I was getting tired of trying to make the all white look work and thought I'd switch it up with some glass tiles. Opinions?

The wall color very likely will be changing to a greige so don't let that influence you too much.

• hake0723
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The tile is from Home Depot, color is arctic ice.

This post was edited by hake0723 on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 17:55

• hake0723
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And one more. I'm sure there's a way to post more than one picture in a message, but it can't figure it out on my ipad. Sorry about that!

This post was edited by hake0723 on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 17:56

• Gracie
    9 years ago

The very first one is a good color match. Did you find a polished marble like you said you were going to?

With the white/cream ceramic tiles, all seem to work with the granite, so I'd pick the one closest to the color of the cabs. Don't go as white as the DW.

The aqua...no relationship to the granite. I also don't think you need pillows and herringbone. Can we see a wider shot of your kitchen? You seem to think the granite isn't enough color and pattern.

• hake0723
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mayflowers: the polished marble in the crema marfil had way too much veining and pattern for my liking. I haven't found any others that I like. I was actually leaning away from matching the color of the backsplash with the counters because I didn't like how it all blended into one giant marble mush.

What do you you mean "pillows and herringbone"?

• hake0723
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a wider shot of the kitchen

• hake0723
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And another view

This post was edited by hake0723 on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 18:36

• hake0723
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, the more I look at the aqua, it sucks. I'm getting desperate! haha. Maybe I just don't like the look of a backsplash at all⦠:-/

This post was edited by hake0723 on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 19:23

• SaraKat
    9 years ago

Stick with your cream on cream. You can always put color in with other things. You're on the right track! I think that is the way to go just a little more off white than the ones you presently have. It's going to be fabulous. You're right, trying to put yet another color in there is what NOT to do. (As in What Not to Wear : /)

• Gracie
    9 years ago

You could use a light tan grout with the small ceramic subways. It would provide just a little subtle color to tie the granite to the cabinets and break up the white.

• hake0723
    Original Author
    9 years ago

vinudev_liny - I just ordered more samples and since I know you're looking for a cream subway, I thought I'd share. Anchor Bay Tile is the company. They have 2x4 and 3x6, beveled and regular with a few nice creamy options.

http://www.anchorbaytile.com/Subway-Ceramic-Tile-Beveled-2x4-inch/

I'm hoping that the Cardiff crackle glaze tile in Bisque will be perfect!

oh btw, it says they ship within 24-48 hours!

This post was edited by hake0723 on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 21:22

• hake0723
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mayflowers - great point. I'll keep that in mind when picking the grout color, thanks.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Do you think you'd like a glass caramel colored accent row with cream subways? A lot of people here dislike accent tiles, but I think they're nice when they're in the same color family as the field tiles (versus being a "pop of color"). It adds some sparkle, which would dress up the raised bar area.

FYI, I think you might run into the dilemma of where to end the tile, at the edge of the counter or the side of the wall cabinet. The answer is at the side of the cabinet.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Like your initial choices best. Don't like the shiny tile BS, next to the shiny granite CT, next to the shiny bright white cabs. If not stone, perhaps a tile with a matte finish. JMO

• hake0723
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mayflowers - great point. I'll keep that in mind when picking the grout color, thanks.

• vdinli
    9 years ago

Thanks, hake0723. I am going to try some samples from them. Though, don't tell DH! He just wants to decide and order and be done with it already!

• amykath
    9 years ago

I really like the last creamy subway tile you posted.

I had a similar granite as you and we used 3X6 botticino marble that was polished. I loved it! Here is a pic.

• stumpydarby
    9 years ago

Honestly, I would have just done the whole thing in granite and called it a day.
    I guess I am not helping you. Sorry!

• hake0723
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alright y'all, I got the last of my samples in. Ignore the random paint colors, I was sampling a few greige paints :)

I was mistaken before, the grazia melange is 2.5x5 not 2x4. Far left is cottage lane summer beige 2x4, middle is the grazia that we thought was too cool (for comparison), far right is Cardiff subway in bisque with crackle glaze. I'm thinking the Cardiff on the right is perfect. Thoughts??

This post was edited by hake0723 on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 20:57

• hake0723
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Cardiff also comes in beveled and flat... So many decisions! ;)

• hake0723
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view of flat vs beveled.

• sedona_heaven
    9 years ago

Love the cardiff! I would do beveled, but that's a matter of taste.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I think the Cardiff looks good with the granite and cabs. I don't like the beveled--too fussy and too matchy with your drawer fronts.

• romy718
    9 years ago

My vote is for the flat Cardiff.

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

I have to vote for the beveled. It just adds some uniqueness but I am not a fan of the crackle. This is so hard but whatever you choose you know it will be right as you are taking your time.

This post was edited by tinker1121 on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 6:04

• scrapbookheaven
    9 years ago

I like the Cardiff beveled.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

I'm going to jump in here and vote cardiff flat too. Beveled is what PP is referring to as "pillow" and I agree it might be a little too fussy for your kitchen but I'm a simple girl with simple tastes so take it with a grain of salt.

Also, before you consider crackle glaze on a backsplash, wipe one of those tiles down with a wet rag once and see if it discolors - you might have to seal it otherwise it can stain. Good luck with your project!

• funkelsgw
    9 years ago

Swentastic is correct. You may need to seal crackle tile. Just to mess you up a bit, you might consider 2x10 inch or another variation. We went with 2x8's from Sonoma. Good luck.

• bookworm4321
    9 years ago

Cardiff. No opinion re flat or beveled.

May flower is always right on, especially with suggestion about grout color.

• vdinli
    9 years ago

Cardiff looks perfect-glad you found your tile!

• Ivan I
    9 years ago

>> may_flowers (My Page) on Thu, Sep 4, 14 at 23:27
    I think the Cardiff looks good with the granite and cabs. I don't like the beveled--too fussy and too matchy with your drawer fronts.

Wow, good eyes - the beveled matching the drawer fronts.

That would make me want to do beveled!

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

My vote is for the flat Cardiff also! Beautiful kitchen! I love the counters so much!

• sandesurf
    9 years ago

Another pic of beveled, crema marfil :)
    We love it!
    Good luck!

• kawh707
    9 years ago

i like the color of the first choice very much -- and also of the 'milk'. however, why not just continue the gorgeous granite up the back? let the items you have out on the counter steal the show, and just continue up with the granite??

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Oh, that Cardiff is perfect! I love it! I love beveled tiles, but I actually agree with it maybe being too matchy with your cabinets.

If you can get it in a 2x8 or 2x10 that would be marvie! Would not feel "squeezed" under your bar, and adds a little contemporary touch without being in-your-face about it.

• hake0723
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much for the advice you've given!!! I took it all to heart, stared at my samples... And stared some more. After much agonizing over flat vs beveled, I finally I ordered the flat Cardiff. Here is a photo of it taped up onto a portion of the wall. Opinions??

Any advice on grout color? Looks like a trip to Lowes is in our future to get grout and other supplies so we can finally get this backsplash up!

This post was edited by hake0723 on Tue, Sep 23, 14 at 21:15

• romy718
    9 years ago

I think it looks beautiful. I would do a matching grout. With smaller size tiles, a contrasting grout might make it look busy. I really, really like it.

• musicteacher
    9 years ago

I like it too. I just cancelled a very expensive order I had for some fancy tile and went with the really cheap subway tile from Lowes. So happy I did! It is the perfect backdrop for other things I want in the kitchen.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Hake, congrats on making your backsplash decision. You hung in there and looks like you will get out of ABB with the perfect selection!! I'm sooo jealous

• hake0723
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone!!! I love it too! I still wonder if I would've liked the beveled better once I got more of it up, but the flat is a nice simple backdrop that I think I won't get tired of as easily. I just wanted to make sure Im understanding what mayflower said a while ago about where to stop the tile. Is it correct that I should continue it onto the wall with the single cabinet and end it where I'm pointing in this picture?

This post was edited by hake0723 on Wed, Sep 24, 14 at 8:21

• Gracie
    9 years ago

It's still a side splash, which I typically wouldn't tile, even though there's a cab over it. But you have a sink nearby. The granite looks tight to the wall, so I think caulk and a washable paint is enough protection from occasional splashing. If you leave standing water from draining dishes, I'd tile, but I doubt you do that with white granite.

You could tile it the height of the raised bar, which I think is what you intend with your finger placement. But that leaves a small area of wall between the tile and cabinet, which would look like you ran out of tile if it were done on a row of cabinets. So you could do just two rows of tile. I would bring it to the end of the counter in that case, but normally I'd say stop at the upper cabinet. Tape some up and let's see what looks best.

• function_first
    9 years ago

You nailed it! It's perfect. I agree with mayflowers, no tile on the side splash, not needed. In the last house I had a sink 5 inches from the side splash and didn't need it, so you will be absolutely fine without tile there.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I agree with Mayflowers too, no side splash.

• mojoro
    8 years ago

tinker1121 I love that Jeffrey Court beveled antique lace tile. Could you give me a ballpark $ per sq ft? Did you find a good deal on the internet or buy it locally? Thanks!

• tinker1121
    8 years ago

Local PA tile store had it for $19.99 sf but I checked on the phone with some tile stores in NJ, got a quote and local store matched it for $11.99 I think it was.

• mojoro
    8 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply! I was going with a soft white beveled tile for a bathroom but worry that the white of the tub might look like I was trying to match but didn't get it right! So I think it might just be better to have a slight tone for a little contrast...

• oldbat2be
    8 years ago

hake0723 - Any reveal pictures? I forget whether we've seen them and seeing this thread made me wonder!