Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grlwprls

An Imperfect Layout

grlwprls
11 years ago

Due to cost, I'm losing a planned 42" expansion in my kitchen renovation. This was really the space that gave me significant counter and storage space to either side of my range, but I would have had a blind corner. It's proving to be cost prohibitive to marry the bump out and the sink wall since we have to re-route joists, piers, gas and plumbing, and HVAC. I think visually losing the 42" makes the kitchen read as smaller, but the counter space is all useable so I think functionally, it's a bit of a wash. That said, I don't want my cabinets to make an already awkward space read as "super awkward" if you know what I mean.

To minimize an awkward layout, would you ignore symmetry?

Within my current space (116"), I can either go with:

a) 30" cabinet/30" range/18" cabinet/36" fridge

or

b) 24" cabinet/30" range/24" cabinet/ 36" fridge.

Both scenarios allow for panels to build a cubby for the fridge because the 116" is a bit flexible at the far end of the kitchen.

To the right of the sink (and between the sink wall and the range wall) there is 36" of counterspace. It dies into a wall, not into a corner, so it is all useable prep space. It also looks over into the living room, so a pleasant view of the TV, the family, etc. while working. There is 18" of "blank wall" and then a recessed area (a bump in to the foyer behind it) where the aforementioned 116" begins.

To the left of the sink there is also 36" for what it's worth.

Also, there are cabinets to the right of the fridge, but I think most folks would use the counter to the left of the fridge as a landing space because of the door swing while working in the kitchen. Is 18" enough? You could use the 50" of countertop to the right of the fridge to load it on market day. I just don't want to push the major appliances down into what is essentially the rear vestibule.

And before you vote on symmetry, it bears mentioning that the bump out isn't symmetrical in the room at all. So it's forced symmetry within an asymmetrical space, if that makes sense.

How would you make this "broken L" work?

Comments (3)