Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kkupstate

Finished Kitchen!! Come and See...

kkupstate
15 years ago

We did it! We replaced our white laminate kitchen with a dark stained maple with slab front cabinets and stainless steel appliances (all new apart from micro that had to be replaced a couple of years ago. We got stainless then knowing we would eventually replace the rest). We love it! What a change. Somehow the kitchen seems bigger. Oh, by the way, DH might get transfered to a new job - I knew that would happen!

We started mid June, most of the stuff was finished by mid July, and I just finished up the small stuff last night! Total cost right around our budget of $25 K cant believe stuff can cost soo much! - but I think we did pretty well considering what some kitchen remodels cost!

Cabinets  Merillat Fusion Maple Sedona Â

Countertops  Lady Dream Granite

Faucet  Kohler Simplice Pull-Down Entertainment Sink Faucet, Brushed Nickel Ceramic Contemporary Faucet for RO filtered water

Sink - Ticor Stainless Steel Double Bowl

Appliances  GE Profile

30" Induction Cooktop

Convection single wall oven

30" Warming Drawer

Beverage Center

Stainless Steel Dishwasher with Smart Dispense technology

Disposal

Hardware  Tapered Bar Pull from Lee Valley

Backsplash  Stainless Steel from FrigoDesign: http://www.frigodesign.com/php/splash/scb_splash.php

Lighting  fluorescent under cabinet lighting

Extras Â

Rev-a-Shelf Blind Corner optimizer

Rev-a-Shelf Wall Cabinet Spice Rack

Here are the pictures (sorry for the overload!):

usually looked like this:

Shot of hardware:

Uppers and Crown:

I am proud of the undercabinet molding - I stained it, cut it and nail gunned it up myself...can't believe what the cabinet companies charge for that stuff. It would have been easier to just have ordered it, but I guess I wouldn't have learned so much!

Our Lady's Dream granite - do I need a radon test?

Blind Corner optimizer from Rev a Shelf

Two views of the sink

Utility with roll outs next to fridge

Spice Rack

...and the Beverage Fridge (that should be enough!)

Comments (35)

• lovemcm
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow! That's so beautiful! It's warm and sleek at the same time. Light rails look perfect!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

This really isn't a style I'd choose, but I LOVE it! It looks wonderful. I really like the stain color, the sink, the hardware, and your granite. Good job on the UC molding! Your fridge/oven wall is fantastic, and nice beverage center, too. You've got this kitchen doing a lot for you...I hope you get the time to enjoy it!

• yoyoma
    15 years ago

Really nice, congrats!

• theresab1
    15 years ago

looks fabulous! great job.

• imrainey
    15 years ago

Wonderful! You must be so thrilled. And it looks like you've packed a lot of storage in there. LOVE the blind corner storage!

• catamount90
    15 years ago

Looks great, can you tell me which filtered water faucet that is as well as the soap dispenser? Thanks!

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Great job! Love the cabinets and the color. It's also great how the shape of the hardware works perfectly with the appliance handles. Enjoy it for as long as you can. And if you wind up having to do another kitchen, just think how much experience you'll already have! Congratulations!

• janefan
    15 years ago

What a difference. Your kitchen now has such a clean elegance to it--beautiful! Great job!

• jnjmom
    15 years ago

Wow, what a difference - congrats!!

And don't ever apologize for too many pics - there is no such thing!!

• janran
    15 years ago

Beautiful! and for 25K? Did you do the labor yourself?

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Beautiful job! You must be so thrilled!

• rosie
    15 years ago

It is beautiful. Those are very handsome cabinets. I'd just refuse to leave them, is all. :)

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Just gorgeous! I love your new kitchen.

• ma-bookreader
    15 years ago

You did a wonderful job. A complete transformation.
    I hope you have many, many years enjoying your new kitchen.

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

Oh Yeah, Baby!

• clc08
    15 years ago

Really, really wow. Love the clean lines.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

What a transformation! I love love love the clean lines and gorgeous color of your cabinetry. Congratulations!

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Beautiful! The clean lines really open up the space. The pulls also really accentuate the GE Profile lines. Enjoy (especially the bev fridge aka party central)!

• lightlystarched
    15 years ago

I love it! Really really beautiful and an amazing transformation.

How are you liking the induction cooktop? I have the same one and I think it is one of the best things I chose.

• bbstx
    15 years ago

Brava on a job VERY well done

• larrylwill
    15 years ago

Very nice, now if you have to move you will know how to do it.

• kkupstate
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the nice comments!

Let's see, the soap dispenser is from WSC Direct
    soap dispenser - I got mine in vibrant stainless

The RO filter faucet is from waterfilters.net: RO faucet

We didn't do the job ourselves - the labor was only about $5000 - since there wasn't much to the demo and not too much electrical or plumbing to be done.

I am enjoying the induction cooktop - except I need to figure out how to do hard boiled eggs! The last batch I made were a tad underdone! But it is so quick to heat up and doesn't heat up the whole house in the summer heat. And it just looks nice. We were contemplating the monogram cooktop which is basically the same except it has the blue outlines of the burner fields, which visually I didn't like, but I could see where they would come in handy. Sometimes I am not sure if I am on the burner - but not a big deal.

I should add the DH does work for GE & we did get a discount there so we were able to get a few of the extras - warming drawer and bev fridge and still stay in budget.

I do love the kitchen - it is amazing how much more it makes me like the house! Our house isn't that big - ~2000 sq ft but it makes it seem much more elegant. And if we have to move, at least it will make the other things in the house that need attending to not seem so bad...

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Well, if your DH takes the job, your kitchen will sell your house. Great job and love your new kitchen.

• bellsrus
    15 years ago

It looks awesome! What a transformation!

Patti

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

What an incredible transformation! Just beautiful! Love the colors and the granite. Also love the blind corner cab unit. Congrats on a great job. Well done!

• mcps
    15 years ago

Congratulations! You did a fantastic job. I love the bar area! And that granite is really cool.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

You know...worst case scenario...if the granite kills ya, it's going to be nice to "go" in that gorgeous kitchen. heh heh (you asked for it LOL)

Really, wonderful. That first kitchen was a bad design. You've reused the space SOOOO MUCH better!!! Nice work!

• kkupstate
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Igloo - thanks for the compliments! The radon jab was to see if anyone was actually paying attention. My tongue was firmly placed in my cheek on that one. Is that even a saying? I am not mixing metaphors, am I? Goodness. I am not worried about radon. At least not from my granite countertop, and anyways, ignorance is indeed bliss!

Anyhoo - time to go and make cookie dough...party this weekend, you know, gotta show off the goods while they look pretty

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Wow--big difference! Very nice! Your cabs have a nice rich, warmth to them and that granite is a party all by itself!

• modesignfan
    15 years ago

Wow. Simply stunning. Brave, clean, warm design that is timeless. Congratulations on choosing all unique items that are not the typical things, from cooktop to cabinets, counters, sink; all outstanding and evidence that you truly understand design and not just how to copy another me-too kitchen. Absolutely fabulous.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

Beautiful job! Curious, is that a "green" I see in your granite?
    It looks great...love the hardware!

• coffeebreak
    15 years ago

WTG!!! What an excellent transformation! Great Job! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Heh heh I've figured out the secret with the Radon thing...

Have sex with a stranger on them (a good looking one if you're going to bother) then it's a 50/50% chance that either a disease or the counters took you out...but either way, you'll go with a smile on your face.

I've probably broken all of GW's rules with that line...but I went with a smile on my face :oP

• kkupstate
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ooops - I forgot a heartfelt thanks to all of you for help/support/ideas - many of you may not have known you helped or entered my life...but thanks thanks thanks!!!

It is a little intimidating to post my "modest" little kitchen compared to these grand masterpieces out there-but hopefully you can see that a big change can be had for a reasonably low budget. My tastes are quite simple (or plain!)and the space was small, so I didn't have tons of options.

The "fridge wall" is my favorite look change to the kitchen - it went from really bad use of space to looking great and being more functional.

Love the wall oven - DH is 6' 3" and does bake a bit - so he really loves it.

Sink with pull-down faucet is a dream - I like to just use it and clean it (for now) for fun!!

Pull-out optimizer in the blind corner is growing on me. At first I was disappointed that it wasn't bigger...but I guess it didn't cost all that much (We love the granite - no greens there, pinks and reds and beige. Not so happy with the fabricator - wanted a smaller overhang on the sink reveal, and a few issues with wall bowing and backsplash not being flush to wall that we haven't yet resolved - but all in all, it is the jewelry in the kitchen that does make it sparkle!

Soft close on the drawers and doors are wonderful - as are the full extension drawers.

All in all, the kitchen feels wonderful and while there were disappointments along the way (wanted to externally vent but budget and time didn't allow)we are very very happy with the end result!

Thanks again, sorry for dragging on and on...

• marilyn234
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. Great Job with your remodel. I am almost done with mine and also have the GE Profile range and micro. I am about to purchase the frig. Do you like your profile french door and is it counter depth? This is my next purchase this week. I wasn't sure to go with the french door as have heard that they are having trouble with the ge french door models and are they made by lg??
    Again great job, what a transformation
    Marilyn