Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Used Appliances

Posted by Trebruchet (loosedeckcannon@gmail.com) on
Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 15:22

photo IMG_1568_zps45ec2888.jpg

I was hired to raise this Corian top to accommodate a taller washer and dryer; this is the finished result. I used the backsplash to make the new raised finished end. I took $130.00 off my bill and loaded this 4-year-old washer and dryer into my truck as partial payment and I was still half of their other bid, but I digress.

photo IMG_1581_zps83861d51.jpg

Here they are in my laundry room. They are Whirlpool Duets, just like the ones they replace, except the dryer has steam and these are white like our cabinets. The controls are different. Just to show how much fun it is to be married to me, I changed these out without ever telling my wife. I waited in the kitchen when she went in to do a load, when I hear "What the hell???" (She's worked construction for 30 years, so cut her some slack, please.) I was laughing so hard it ruined my plan to play like I didn't know what was going on. She fell instantly in love. With the washer and dryer that is, she just puts up with me.

When I dropped the old ones off at the used appliance place where I'd bought them 2 years ago, I remember this is the range that came with our house:

photo IMG_1579_zps3cc8bb40.jpg

And like a streetwalker beckoning to a sailor on shore leave, I find this gem at the used appliance store:

photo IMG_1580_zps8a414938.jpg
Yeah, she may be 8 years old, but she spent her entire career in an assisted living facility, according to my appliance dealer. Not a mark on her and I doubt her oven has even reheated pizza. She's spotless and has obviously found a new home in my kitchen. Fabricating the cove splash across the back is what I should be doing instead of typing this, but I just had to share.

Sure I'd like an induction slide-in, but I'd probably bring the kids down to Florida again or book three fishing charters before l'd spring 4 large for an appliance. I've gotten three new-to-me appliances, one with a warranty, for less than $500.00 and a very happy wife.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Used Appliances

Treb, what a score! I wish we had a used appliance store.

Your wife is a lucky lady!

o

Mmmm great score! Those glass tops are so nice and easy to clean.

I noticed you said you're putting a cove splash on the back - is that required?! I'm planning on using a slide-in range in my kitchen too but did not plan the countertops to go behind it - should I??

o

• Posted by Errant 8 SoCal Mountains (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 15:46

Not bad for a day's work! I have older Duets in black and love them. I would cry if I came home and found them replaced. Good thing you knew what to replace them with :)

This post was edited by Errant on Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 17:54

o

Nice!

Swentastic, we've had our slide-in range for a few years, but hadn't replaced our counters until now. You definitely want the counters to go behind it, IMO. I'm not a crazy messy cook or anything, but there were always things falling down that hole.

This post was edited by GenB on Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 15:51

o

PHEW thanks GenB I almost screwed that up royally - I AM a crazy messy cook haha. They're coming to measure for countertops on Monday so I still have time to make a quick change. Already spoke with the granite people and they've noted it.

GW FTW AGAIN!

o

The coved splash goes all the way across the back now. Good thing I saved that half a sink cut-out. 8 hours.

o

I laughed so hard...thank you!

o

Beautiful machines, and a hilarious story!

My first front-load washer was a Whirlpool Duet, and I loveloveloved it. We let a bearing go bad by having it so unlevel for too long and too expensive a repair to justify it. I hate my new washer and want my old one back.

No, I mean I HATE my new washer.

o

that's awesome! great that you could fix the counter behind the stove too! With how little I cook I was shocked at the drips on the side of my stove after maybe 6 months! I plan to have my handyman pull that baby out every 5- 6 months so I can clean it.

I got my stove and dw used. not as nice as yours - but I barely cook and haven't used a dw in about 25 yrs. since it's been hooked up (6 months?) I've used it twice... I think I got a great deal at 175.00 for both. They were super, super clean (dw barely used) and the couple lived just down the road and he brought them over and inside for me. And they matched my fridge (bisque). That's not so easy to find these days.

I think great deals can be found at used stores - and from people switching out for a color change. This couple was changing what was in the house to SS.

o

It *would* be fun to be married to you, the Random Appliance Replacement Guy! Neat that all the appliances have a bit of a backstory too.

o

Sweet!

o

Cool scores on the appliances.

It would certainly be cheaper to be married to you than to my very non-DIY DH. We're the people who hire you to help us do things and we appreciate all the great tradespeople out there. We redid our house 4 years ago and we had the greatest people working with us. You, and they, are artists in your chosen fields, of that I have no doubt.

o

That is one funny story! Usually, the MOTH brings home things that leave me shaking my head. Not gonna encourage him to start swapping out appliances. That's my mojo.

My last uber-bargain was a near-new 5-burner Kenmore gas range with convection oven for $100. Before that, it was a French door fridge that really was new, sitting in the Goodwill, priced at $199. I had a 20% off coupon so I took it home for about $160. I love bargain hunting!

Trebruchet, I'm only sorry you don't live close to me. I could have used your help on the reno house that's going to kill me any day now. Seriously, I can't tell you how sorry my hires have been. Grrrrrr......

o

Awesome, Trebruchet!! They look great!

o

Eye candy, frugality, expertise, quality work and humor all in one thread! You make me glad I read this forum, Treb!

o

"And like a streetwalker beckoning to a sailor on shore leave..."

Loved it! What a neat surprise for your wife, just picturing you smiling and waiting in the next room for her to notice, makes me smile.

o

Score!!! Still laughing . . .

o

Thanks everyone.

You can read how I made the cove backsplash here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Cove Tile Backsplash

o

"Just to show how much fun it is to be married to me, I changed these out without ever telling my wife."

lol!!! I needed that laugh. Great story! And coming from you, I'm glad to hear you are a fan of the Whirlpool Duet. Just bought a pair for our new house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here