Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katieob_gw

marble & soapstone installed today! photos

katieob
14 years ago

Hi all.

Everything went very smoothly and I am so excited.

Thanks to GWers (stoners) who shared all their marble and soapstone experiences, pictures, and info-made me confident when I chose the slabs and I'm so pleased with the results (giddy......hugging the installers!)

Now we're waiting for the cabinetmaker to return from vacation & put in upper cabs... Excuse the mess.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Thanks for looking,

Katie

Comments (36)

• User
    14 years ago

Whoa Katie that is so BEAUTIFUL !! And what an elegant island. I am sure you are going to have many wonderful hours rolling out dough and kneading bread on that beautiful space. I love the veins in your SS. Where did you get both of them ? Sorry if you have told before but I don't get over here very often. Really really nice. Caroline

• alice462
    14 years ago

Absolutely STUNNING!!! Will be looking forward to the more pics as you progress! Congratulations, it is just beautiful!

• lmt77
    14 years ago

Beautiful!
    What kind of cabinets do you have? and what color?
    Also, wnat will you do for a backsplash?
    I'm working on a similar coor scheme for our kitchen.
    White cabintes/black island/some black countertops and some marble (or granite that looks like marble).

• malhgold
    14 years ago

That marble is just unbelievable!!! Is it calacatta(i know I spelled that wrong). Just when I was wavering on putting marble on my island, you just sealed the deal for me. BTW...What size is your island?

• hsw_sc
    14 years ago

Gorgeous! What types of marble and soapstone are those? I love the veining in both.

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

That marble is yummy!

• donnakay2009
    14 years ago

This is stunning. I love it! So envious!!!!
    What a great eye you have for combining these together.

• megradek
    14 years ago

Oh my...I have some serious stone envy right now. just gorgeous!!!!!

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

Oh how lovely! What is happening behind your sink?

• mindimoo
    14 years ago

Oooooh! Katie! I've been checking back now and again on a few kitchens and your marble is one I've been waiting on- beeeyouuutiful!

• nhbaskets
    14 years ago

Wow! Your island is more like a continent. Absolutely stunning!Love everything!Congratulations!

• erikanh
    14 years ago

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Katie!! They're so incredibly gorgeous!! You must be so happy!

• jaksopcam
    14 years ago

Wow, they are both beautiful! I keep going back to look at the pictures again. And that island looks stunning!!! Enjoy!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Both stones are breathtaking!!! The marble looks thicker than what we usually see?

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

In a word - GORGEOUS!!!!color="red" face="goudy stout" size="10">

You must be thrilled!

Eliz

• Fori
    14 years ago

Mine!

• prill
    14 years ago

Wow - beautiful. I love the way the soapstone goes into the window area behind the sink. Can't wait to see more.

• arlosmom
    14 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous!!! I adore the simple edge you used on the marble. And the veining in the soapstone...WOW. I can see why you hugged the installers.

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Beautiful. Simply beautiful. I can hear your sigh of relief and pride all the way over here. And, it's much deserved. Congratulations!

• lesmis
    14 years ago

Wow Katie...so pretty!!!!! I love the marble and that veining in the SS is to die for, but then you know I'm a SS kind of girl!! I'm sure you are loving it and running your fingers over it to make sure you aren't dreaming!

Congrats!

Kat :)

• lyno
    14 years ago

Both stones are absolutely gorgeous! How thick is your marble? I can't wait to see the rest of your kitchen come together! Beautiful!

• lilyinmtl
    14 years ago

Beautiful, Katie, just beautiful!

• katieob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your great feedback!

Just finished playground, dog walk, supper, tubbies, bedtime and logged on and got all excited again because of your enthusiastic support!

I'll try to answer questions:

Soapstone meets the window behind the sink (thanks GW). Carpenter now needs to trim the window.

Cabinets are inset, single bead in BM White Dove.

Marble is honed calacatta, 5 cm

Soapstone is "grey soapstone" according to the slab info, but based on its origin (they said Vermont or Brazil) & its appearance, my guess is Green Mountain Original.

Both slabs came from Marble & Granite in Westwood, MA. I went for my first visit way back in December & picked both within minutes. Then waited 8 months!

We don't live there yet, new construction-but I'll be making visits to caress those counters...

Can't wait to have more progress pics to share.

Thanks all,
    Katie

• redroze
    14 years ago

Holy cow...I LOVE IT. Both the Calacatta marble and the soapstone. Love. It. Can't wait to see more progress photos!

• katieob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

More answers:

Backsplash plan is white subway tile/white grout
    (Horus Art Tiffany Crackle in Bianco-like willowdecor)

Island is roughly 8 by 5-can get exact measurements if needed.

• trudymom
    14 years ago

It's stunning and it isn't even done yet!!

• judydel
    14 years ago

Just beautiful! I've always loved marble with soapstone. I also love the the legs on your island (is that what they're called?). Very classy. Can't wait to see more. We're at similar stages in our renovations.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

DId you say 5 cm marble?????????? That is so gorgeous there are no adequate words. Just stunning!

• brutuses
    14 years ago

That's one gorgeous piece of marble. Congratulations!!

• nutherokie_gw
    14 years ago

Well that may be the most beautiful marble I've ever seen. Great. I'd almost convinced myself to rule out marble for our island and now I'm drooling all over my keyboard!

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

Ewww,that island looks so creamy and the marble is really pretty! It looks very nice with the soapstone!
    Congrats!

• zeebee
    14 years ago

Stunning stones, absolutely stunning.

• mamalynn
    14 years ago

Both the soapstone and the marble are gorgeous!

• cotehele
    14 years ago

Stunning. I'll trade you kitchens, hehehe

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Both stones are gorgeous, but that hunk o' marble is absolutely breathtaking! WOW!!!!