Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
marble & soapstone installed today! photos

Posted by katieob (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 7, 09 at 15:20

Hi all.

Everything went very smoothly and I am so excited.
Thanks to GWers (stoners) who shared all their marble and soapstone experiences, pictures, and info-made me confident when I chose the slabs and I'm so pleased with the results (giddy......hugging the installers!)

Now we're waiting for the cabinetmaker to return from vacation & put in upper cabs... Excuse the mess.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks for looking,
Katie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: marble & soapstone installed today! photos

Whoa Katie that is so BEAUTIFUL !! And what an elegant island. I am sure you are going to have many wonderful hours rolling out dough and kneading bread on that beautiful space. I love the veins in your SS. Where did you get both of them ? Sorry if you have told before but I don't get over here very often. Really really nice. Caroline

o

Absolutely STUNNING!!! Will be looking forward to the more pics as you progress! Congratulations, it is just beautiful!

o

Beautiful!
What kind of cabinets do you have? and what color?
Also, wnat will you do for a backsplash?
I'm working on a similar coor scheme for our kitchen.
White cabintes/black island/some black countertops and some marble (or granite that looks like marble).

o

That marble is just unbelievable!!! Is it calacatta(i know I spelled that wrong). Just when I was wavering on putting marble on my island, you just sealed the deal for me. BTW...What size is your island?

o

Gorgeous! What types of marble and soapstone are those? I love the veining in both.

o

That marble is yummy!

o

This is stunning. I love it! So envious!!!!
What a great eye you have for combining these together.

o

Oh my...I have some serious stone envy right now. just gorgeous!!!!!

o

Oh how lovely! What is happening behind your sink?

o

Oooooh! Katie! I've been checking back now and again on a few kitchens and your marble is one I've been waiting on- beeeyouuutiful!

o

Wow! Your island is more like a continent. Absolutely stunning!Love everything!Congratulations!

o

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Katie!! They're so incredibly gorgeous!! You must be so happy!

o

Wow, they are both beautiful! I keep going back to look at the pictures again. And that island looks stunning!!! Enjoy!

o

Both stones are breathtaking!!! The marble looks thicker than what we usually see?

o

In a word - GORGEOUS!!!!

You must be thrilled!

Eliz

o

Mine!

o

Wow - beautiful. I love the way the soapstone goes into the window area behind the sink. Can't wait to see more.

o

Absolutely gorgeous!!! I adore the simple edge you used on the marble. And the veining in the soapstone...WOW. I can see why you hugged the installers.

o

Beautiful. Simply beautiful. I can hear your sigh of relief and pride all the way over here. And, it's much deserved. Congratulations!

o

Wow Katie...so pretty!!!!! I love the marble and that veining in the SS is to die for, but then you know I'm a SS kind of girl!! I'm sure you are loving it and running your fingers over it to make sure you aren't dreaming!

Congrats!

Kat :)

o

Both stones are absolutely gorgeous! How thick is your marble? I can't wait to see the rest of your kitchen come together! Beautiful!

o

Beautiful, Katie, just beautiful!

o

Thanks everyone for your great feedback!

Just finished playground, dog walk, supper, tubbies, bedtime and logged on and got all excited again because of your enthusiastic support!

I'll try to answer questions:

Soapstone meets the window behind the sink (thanks GW). Carpenter now needs to trim the window.

Cabinets are inset, single bead in BM White Dove.

Marble is honed calacatta, 5 cm

Soapstone is "grey soapstone" according to the slab info, but based on its origin (they said Vermont or Brazil) & its appearance, my guess is Green Mountain Original.

Both slabs came from Marble & Granite in Westwood, MA. I went for my first visit way back in December & picked both within minutes. Then waited 8 months!

We don't live there yet, new construction-but I'll be making visits to caress those counters...

Can't wait to have more progress pics to share.

Thanks all,
Katie

o

Holy cow...I LOVE IT. Both the Calacatta marble and the soapstone. Love. It. Can't wait to see more progress photos!

o

More answers:

Backsplash plan is white subway tile/white grout
(Horus Art Tiffany Crackle in Bianco-like willowdecor)

Island is roughly 8 by 5-can get exact measurements if needed.

o

It's stunning and it isn't even done yet!!

o

Just beautiful! I've always loved marble with soapstone. I also love the the legs on your island (is that what they're called?). Very classy. Can't wait to see more. We're at similar stages in our renovations.

o

DId you say 5 cm marble?????????? That is so gorgeous there are no adequate words. Just stunning!

o

That's one gorgeous piece of marble. Congratulations!!

o

Well that may be the most beautiful marble I've ever seen. Great. I'd almost convinced myself to rule out marble for our island and now I'm drooling all over my keyboard!

o

Ewww,that island looks so creamy and the marble is really pretty! It looks very nice with the soapstone!
Congrats!

o

Stunning stones, absolutely stunning.

o

Both the soapstone and the marble are gorgeous!

o

Stunning. I'll trade you kitchens, hehehe

o

Both stones are gorgeous, but that hunk o' marble is absolutely breathtaking! WOW!!!!

o

Hi Katie,
I see that your post was from 2009 and here it is 2011 and I LOOOOVE your kitchen. I just found a slab of Statuario marble that I love and was going to leave deposit on Wed.. I was wondering how your marble is holding up? Would you choose marble for island again? I have 2 girls 8 and 11 and don't want to go crazy with upkeep. My island is same size as yours...8-4 and half and I too am using soapstone. I live in MA as well. Were you happy with your fabricators? What kind of edge did you get on island...also what did you use for backsplash? any finished photo's to share. THANKS so much!
Sheila O'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here